Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few questions since I am new to this... I plan on storing water in used 2 liter bottles since my husband and I are avid diet coke drinkers lol. I figured the bottles are good because I don't have to spend extra money on those huge blue containers which are like 20 bucks each and theyre airtight. I've been washing them with a bit of dishsoap and hot water then letting them dry before filling them up. With this method will I still need water purifiers?

Secondly I was curious about oxygen absorbers. I have 3 dogs and plan on stocking up food for them as well. If I place dogfood in an airtight container with an oxygen absorber will it store? If so, how long will it prolong the life of the food (approximately)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Water will keep 6 mo to a year depending on your source. 4 drops of bleach will guarantee they last a year. I use old juice bottles and change them every June 1st which is the beginning of Hurricane season for us is FL. They never smell bad when I change them. I store unfiltered water, so if I were to use them, I would run them through a Britta filter. It would just be to improve the taste, it wouldn't be necessary.
I use 5 gallon buckets lined with Mylar and oxygen absorbers to store rice and beans. They keep well any way( 8 yrs on beans, 20 yrs on white rice) so I don't know how much longer they keep but it insures the max. Dry dog food should keep well if you packed it air tight, Mylar lined, and oxygen absorbers. It would depend on the type as well. If it has high fat contents, it will go rancid much quicker. Brown rice for example will only keep for a year or two unless you keep it in the fridge. That is due to the oils in the bran.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Personally since I'm a avid diet soda drinker myself (1-2/day), I have tons of 2 liter bottles and water stored by this method for a bugging in situation. I started cleaning them out like you did with soap, hot water and then filling them with my fridge water (filtered) and then putting labels on them, and finally putting them in the shed. Personally, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this was overkill on my part with the task involved since my plan was to boil ANY water regardless of how or what it came from when SHTF. I also rotate the bottles out and use it for plants after 6 months. But PrepperRecon is spot on with the bleach method as well as the O2 absorbers. They provided great advice, and I would recommend what they said if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use 2 liter soda bottles as well. They work great. Wash them out with super hot water and a little soap. They can take a week to dry 100%. Toss in a bay leaf and an O2 absorber (for dry goods). I store rice, pasta, split peas and water. Just my personal preference, but if I had to drink anything that has been in a bottle for more than a few months, Im going to boil it first.

I have read that dry goods can be stored for 10-20 years this way. I rotate everything once a year and never had a problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Buy some dehydrated water. When you need it just add water. It takes up less space, weighs less and lasts forever. I have thousands of gallons I'm willing to sell.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Buy some dehydrated water. When you need it just add water. It takes up less space, weighs less and lasts forever. I have thousands of gallons I'm willing to sell.
lol,i keep some myself right beside the air pudding and wind sauce mixes on my shelves.

But agreed,if stored properly in proper containers,water can last for years.Algae (although I would filter and boil before drinking,is harmless) shouldn't occur if the container is kept away from direct light,the algae only needs two things to thrive and grow-light and nutrients in the water source such as nitrates and phosphates.So you could say that algae growth actually helps purify the water by removing these elements.

In my saltwater reef aquarium I grow algae in a seperate tank plumbed into my main tank,it's called a refugium and it's purpose is to help keep my main tank cleaner by consuming said nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) it also provides a controlled place for algae to grow,therefore keeping algae out of my main tank keeping it cleaner and healthier.

To improve flavor of old stored water,simply pour it from one container to another,back and fourth several times,that will re-oxygenate the water and greatly improve the "old" taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts