Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,702 Posts
And of course that person would NEVER think to follow you home…
Speculation.

But let's run with it for the moment. What safer alternative would you suggest?

·
Registered
216 Posts
From the response I got to an earlier question advising me not to use a future $10,000 insurance settlement for Gold & Diamonds to have if we reach TEOTWAWKI, what would you advise me to invest in for a barter economy?

I assume guns/firearms & Ammo are probably the most valuable assets to have for TEOTWAWKI. Anything else you'd recommend for a Barter economy World?

Thanks for your input.
Heirloom seeds, land, hand tools, chickens, water filters, OTC medicines, bicycles (with gas prices and they will probably get worse), clothing, shoes, first aid kits and so on...

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
You were the first to bring up sex as a barter thing...
I think he's just agreeing with you.
Oh. It appears the extraneous comma confused me. I thought someone was getting called a pussy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Heirloom seeds, land, hand tools, chickens, water filters, OTC medicines, bicycles (with gas prices and they will probably get worse), clothing, shoes, first aid kits and so on...
I like your idea of OTC Medicines, hand tools. Bicycles are going to take up too much room for my purposes. I still overall like the idea of hand guns, firearms & Ammo the best with Freeze dried canned food & OTC medicine though they probably have a 1-2 year life.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,702 Posts
I like your idea of OTC Medicines, hand tools. Bicycles are going to take up too much room for my purposes. I still overall like the idea of hand guns, firearms & Ammo the best with Freeze dried canned food & OTC medicine though they probably have a 1-2 year life.
Most medications, including prescription antibiotics, have an effective life FAR beyond the "best by" dates on the labels.
I think it was a branch of the military that did a study on potency for medications, and found the majority of them to still be safe and ~90% potent 25 years after their label date.
I'll see if I can find the study, if nobody beats me to it.

EDIT:
Study in 2012: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...ations do not,actual long-term drug stability.

For additional research, look into the "Shelf Life Extension Program (SLEP)" the FDA established for the DoD.
"The aim of the SLEP program was to reduce medication costs for the military. SLEP has found that 88% of 122 different drugs stored under ideal conditions should have their expiration dates extended more than 1 year, with an average extension of 66 months, and a maximum extension of 278 months."
Source: Drug expiry debate: the myth and the reality

Reactions: charito

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Most medications, including prescription antibiotics, have an effective life FAR beyond the "best by" dates on the labels.
I think it was a branch of the military that did a study on potency for medications, and found the majority of them to still be safe and ~90% potent 25 years after their label date.
I'll see if I can find the study, if nobody beats me to it.

EDIT:
Study in 2012: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1377417#:~:text=Drug expiration dates typically range,60 months after their production.&text=However, FDA regulations do not,actual long-term drug stability.

For additional research, look into the "Shelf Life Extension Program (SLEP)" the FDA established for the DoD.

Source: Drug expiry debate: the myth and the reality
I'm still using cortizone cream that's about more than a year past its due date. Still works nicely!
If it's only a few months expired - don't throw it away. It could stretch to at least a year or even more.
Sure, it's possible that its efficacy has been reduced (or maybe not) - but, if you don't have a lot, it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I Think aluminum and steel items would be worth more than its weight in gold. Anything with utility, especially tools like knifes, shovels, and axes. Pots and pans. car parts, building materials.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,036 Posts
IMO, bartering post SHTF can only happen if/when societal conditions become stabilized. Well, obviously if you're desperate, what else are you gonna do? But for my money, shoring up supplies for whatever it is you and your family needs is a better investment.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Skills

My buddy is building a blacksmith shop and is slowly buying the tools for it.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
So isn't having more Ammo on hand better for barter than guns just to get cheaper items to trade for?
Like booze. You get more in return for small
Bottles than one big bottle. You will get more proportionally for a few rounds of ammo than one firearm. Plus it’s more likely to make
Multiple smaller trades than one big one. JMHO

Reactions: wraithofroncollins

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
A nice lady named Toronto Girl who used to post on here quite a bit..survived the collapse of the USSR as a teenager in the Ukraine..early 90s? Maybe. She said gold was cheap. The hot barter items were vodka..cigarettes and toilet paper. Anybody who had a lot of those things did ok. They called cats roof rabbits and apparently ate em a lot. Her Mama made soap ouf of dog fat in the back yard on an open fire.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Honestly, if I didn't know you very well pre-collapse, then I would likely not trade with you unless it was under necessity - I don't trust people now, let alone when
crap goes south,..

21 - 38 of 38 Posts