Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the response I got to an earlier question advising me not to use a future $10,000 insurance settlement for Gold & Diamonds to have if we reach TEOTWAWKI, what would you advise me to invest in for a barter economy?

I assume guns/firearms & Ammo are probably the most valuable assets to have for TEOTWAWKI. Anything else you'd recommend for a Barter economy World?

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
If you decide to stockpile ammunition for barter, either go with the most common caliber, or a variety of calibers. If you have what people need, you'll be able to barter.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,680 Posts
Keep in mind, barter can be anything that someone else wants in exchange for something you have.
This is not limited to physical items. Those will be commonly traded, yes.
But skills and specialty tools to accomplish required tasks will be exceptionally valuable. Investing in yourself might be worth a part of that cash.

For tradeable goods, I think MM hit the big ones. Everybody will want them. But you'll need to consider what others could possibly have to trade to you.
What would you want/need that you're willing to trade for? If you stock pile that stuff, you won't be in the market for them, and won't be looking for trades.
It's an odd gamble to think about.

Reactions: charito

·
Administrator
15,629 Posts
I don't trust people.
If i was bartering with strangers, what is to keep them from coming back later to bushwhack me and take everything?

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
And how is that more secure than dealing directly?
I think you took a wrong turn somewhere in the last 5 posts.

I said don't barter on your own threshold. I never said don't barter F2F.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Little bottles of booze, ammo, health and hygiene products. You have to think outside the box looking for what others have missed and now need.
Exactly. As we learned from Toronto Girl who survived the collapse of the USSR as a teen ager in the Ukraine. The big barter items were cigarettes..vodka and toilet paper. They ate house cats they called roof rabbits and her mama made soap out of dog fat in the back yard. Hope I aint told this story too much lol.She said gold and silver were not hot items.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
$10,000 hmm;

a. Stills, budget about $4,000 and go with the cheapest on amazon first; learn it and when you figure it out spend the balance on a unit that makes more. The final investment will be in containers so you can package and barter it. Ultimately I'd have 3, the initial small one, a larger beer type and a third for ethanol.

b. Reloading, budget $3,000, and do it just like "a" buy an affordable re loading device and put the resources into a variety of dies and components so you can service some who others can't.

c. Canning Foods, budget $3,000 for the pressure cookers and raw material (can's / jars) to preserve foods that you'll then barter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts