Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@SDF880

I thought i'd show you this one from long ago, the light blond, second from left, is me.

Lost rudder and stabilator control, 100 hours tt on it.

Hit the trees at 100+ mph.

Flap counter balance spring broke, sheared the cables.

Last thing I remember was shutting off the mags and gas.

Forty eight years ago this month.

NEW CAMERA 143.JPG

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have been living on borrowed time long since before that incident,

consider myself lucky to have cheated death many times.

Lost both engines another time on final approach.

Picture is from the front page of the newspaper, found it a while back in a book.

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
I' ve got a buddy who is a flight instructor that has "dropped "twice. One time he killed a student and ended up in the hospital himself for 6 months. Typically a plane does well at gliding ..... it's them darn treetops that will get ya.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Coming back the last time from 'Nam, . . . had been in the air it seemed as much as on the ground at times.

Developed a real love of flying, . . . enjoyed being "up there".

I had in the back of my mind a plan to use my GI bill to get my pilot's license, . . . and let whatever take it's course.

Got some bad advice from a mentor on that idea, . . . then got a good job as an electrician, . . . making good money at the time, . . .

Long story short, . . . never got time to follow thru, . . . and looking back, might not have been quite as fortunate as others in the air.

I sometimes have a tendency to overlook little things, . . . that'll get you hurt bad if it brings your aircraft down.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have been living on borrowed time long since before that incident,

myself lucky to have cheated death many times.

Lost both engines another time on final approach.

Picture is from the front page of the newspaper, found it a while back in a book.
A long time ago I worked with a captain who not once but twice had both engines fail on jet aircraft just after rotation!
First time he was flying a Hansa Jet and second time a DC-9, What are the odds of that?

·
Registered
448 Posts
In all my years I was only on one bird that crash. And that was A technicality....we just hit the ground way too hard. Saw a few bad ones but I guess I’m just lucky.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all my years I was only on one bird that crash. And that was A technicality....we just hit the ground way too hard. Saw a few bad ones but I guess I'm just lucky.
I never did like being a passenger, your fate is in someone else's hands.

Was on a C-130 flight, had a hydraulic leak happen, PIC declared,

crew chief poured water in system while coming in on a straight in approach.

They brought in another 130 to get us to our destination.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I always loved aircraft and the art of flying. Its really too bad I'm scared of heights.

Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I always loved aircraft and the art of flying. Its really too bad I'm scared of heights.
I am terrified of heights! I have to force myself to go on my roof 16 feet up, after a tranquilizer.

The only time it bothered me was one time at around 12,000 feet, regulator was not flowing right.

I realized what the problem was and side slipped down to 8,000 put it on AP,

turned around and wound up the regulator flow rate.

Relaxed for a bit and then climbed to 14K and finished the hop.

Got a demand regulator to use after that.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Wow..I thought I was the only one who did not like to fly because of acute acrophobia..but guess not. Having flew a few times..I am also afraid the wing is going to come off like in the old John Wayne movies. Not sure what phobia they call that. I could fly if they go close to the ground and let me have a parachute and keep my gun on my person. Otherwise it makes me nervous. I can do it if Im real drunk. Panic attacks are not nice.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow..I thought I was the only one who did not like to fly because of acute acrophobia..but guess not. Having flew a few times..I am also afraid the wing is going to come off like in the old John Wayne movies. Not sure what phobia they call that. I could fly if they go close to the ground and let me have a parachute and keep my gun on my person. Otherwise it makes me nervous. I can do it if Im real drunk. Panic attacks are not nice.
If your close to the ground the chute is useless.

Hell even with a static line I think you need 1K.

I carried a chute in some planes I flew or flew right seat in,

don't think I would have the balls to jump, unless flames were licking my ass.

A couple like the AT-6, I sat on the chute as a seat cushion, was by design.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm much happier when there is air between my feet and the ground! Even with GPS I get goofed up on the ground
and i grumble get me airborne so I can find out where the Heck I am, LOL

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
WOW. Well you know the old saying I am sure. My dad flew planes most of his life and not one mishap, although a few scary moments. At 83 he insists he can still fly a plane.

Reactions: SDF880 and SOCOM42
1 - 20 of 61 Posts