Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a flare gun I found for sale at a local pawn shop, I didn't buy it but I went home and started doing a little research. The flare gun was 26.5 mm and there are conversions to make it a 12 gauge flare gun or a single shot pistol. My question is other than on a boat do you think a flare gun would be a viable distress/illumination tool in a WTSHTF? Another question is, I have a H&R single shot shotgun that I cut the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches so there is no choke. Can I shoot 12 gauge flares from it? Does anyone have a flare gun as part of their BOB?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've had this internal debate a number of times. My instinct is why the hell would I want to alert possible hostiles to my location. On the other hand, there is the quandry of having a serious medical condition with a family member that could be treated within a time constraint and medical help could be one flair away.

Of course, in Hollywood one well placed flair into the occupying UN forces fuel tank farm and all of their armor become yard gnome.. So, there is that.

Another good use would be to shove up a JAG lawyer's ass if one showed up running his pie hole about rules of engagement. I REALLY hate those guys.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several options with flares like smoke, illumination, tear gas, and signaling. The big question is can I just use a 12 gauge shotgun?

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
Never thought of the idea of a possible need for a smoke screen. Will have to think about that one. Thanks

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep a flare gun in my emergency bag in my truck just in case I go off road and out of sight and need assistance. It's probably not something I would use in a bug out scenario because it would attract unwanted attention, even though they are good for starting a fire in a pinch. I have used flares from my flare gun in my 12 gauge and it works just fine, we used to use them on merchant ships during drills. I just make sure I clean the shotgun well after using flares through it.
Thank you just what I needed to know!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have an Orion flare gun kit that I keep for boating, and I take it with me off-roading or hunting.

I figure if I get injured and can't get to help, and my float plan or adventure plan does not help locate me if I am out if cell and radio range, I could pop flares if I cannot make a signal fire....

They're required offshore....

I also carry handheld flares by Orion. Two mile visibility and signal firestarter....

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have used flares in my 12 ga. and it is not something you want to do a lot and you want to thoroughly clean the gun afterwards.
The flares are supposed to go out before they fall back to earth but the don't and the will start fires.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My concern was what I read looking up the topic on the world wide interweb of people saying that the flares got stuck in the barrel and caused all kinds panic and shenanigans. I would think that the H&R that I cut the barrel wouldn't have this problem because there is no choke of any kind.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The 12 gauge I used to fire the flares was a full choke 28" tube.... I don't see how it could get stuck because it is made to launch about 100 feet into the air.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 12 gauge I used to fire the flares was a full choke 28" tube.... I don't see how it could get stuck because it is made to launch about 100 feet into the air.
I am just reporting what people have said on other forums and I haven't tried it myself. I just want to have a few just in case kinda thing.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The biggest problem I have had with flares is that they have a fairly short shelf life. I forget the exact expiration, but it isn't more than a few years. I keep them in the boat for emergencies. I don't really see need for them as part of my prep's. I do like the idea of the exotic shotgun shells.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The biggest problem I have had with flares is that they have a fairly short shelf life. I forget the exact expiration, but it isn't more than a few years. I keep them in the boat for emergencies. I don't really see need for them as part of my prep's. I do like the idea of the exotic shotgun shells.
I thought the expiration date was because of regulation and not actual shelf life?

·
Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
I thought the expiration date was because of regulation and not actual shelf life?
I will do some research but got any expired ones you can test?

ETA: It seems that expired flares must be disposed of with extreme care. They can still go off. Some use expired flares for training purposes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts