Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video gives you an idea of where you have to put the CB radio for this beast. Any suggestions? My best is to wire it through the console and in that cubby behind the parking brake. Or maybe mount it sideways in the side of the console.

[youtube:39ffvjws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72mZqDN4wc[/youtube:39ffvjws]

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[youtube:knfp15di]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5X5iRaKQU[/youtube:knfp15di]

Finally found a good CB and a place to stash it in the new bug out vehicle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am kind of iffy about a cb radio...yes they are great for communicating, but if there is some sort of government disturbance, they can pinpoint your position very easily!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd care to disagree. They can do that on some level with cell phones by triangulation. There is a lot of government-sponsored propaganda surrounding this subject but I assure you they still need a special truck loaded with all sorts of equipment. And even then, they need several agencies and men working with them just to establish a general area and they work back from there. While moving, there is no way to track these AM radios as they only can detect the signal weakly and only when you transmit. Another reason I like the CB is because 90% of truckers use channel 19 and have many dozens of eyes at your beck and call. They will tell you what the traffic is like, what to avoid and where police are. That's great people have HAM and more recent VHF radios but a vast majority of the radios in use right now on a large scale are still the good old CB. I can promise you that if a WROL situation develops, truckers will be the first people who can tell.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In a SHTF situation you find yourself with a cb radio but no antenna you can easily make a dipole antenna. The middle channel 20 has a frequency of 27.205 mhz. Divide 468 by 27.205 = 17.2 feet divide by 2 = 8.6 feet. Cut 2 pieces of wire to that length and attach one to the center conductor of the coax and the other wire to the sheilded braid of the coax. Suspend these wires between two trees as high up as possible using some insulaters on the ends of the wires. It should be in the shape of a "T" but a "Y" will also do and may actually work better since a "T" will be horizontally polarized and most of the people you will be talking to will be on vertical antennas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I completely agree with the fact that the truckers will be invaluable, but I have a good buddy of mine that is in the Military working in counter intelligence. His job is to sit in a camoflaged truck in the back, and monitor enemy communications. They can monitor hundreds of channels at once. They actually in situations do counter intelligence and offer false information back to the people communicating. One situation he had told me about is in Afghanistan, they had sent out counter intelligence to the enemy of a battalion that didnt exist, all but to defer the enemy from attacking!!..pretty scary!!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely agree with the fact that the truckers will be invaluable, but I have a good buddy of mine that is in the Military working in counter intelligence. His job is to sit in a camoflaged truck in the back, and monitor enemy communications. They can monitor hundreds of channels at once. They actually in situations do counter intelligence and offer false information back to the people communicating. One situation he had told me about is in Afghanistan, they had sent out counter intelligence to the enemy of a battalion that didnt exist, all but to defer the enemy from attacking!!..pretty scary!!
That's why you use local lingo. "Hey big boy in red, can I get a 20 on that bear trap up 50?" most ppl don't understand me when I talk to truckers in the FJ. That makes a good point, good to have code talk down so you know it's one of you or not. Plus in a WROL situation there won't be much manpower to try that game. There's more registered hunters in wisconsin alone than ALL of the american military and that's just in wisconsin.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow, I just looked up 'Radio Direction Finding' on the net and see there are lots of 'RDF Foxhunt' clubs out there who organise competitions to have fun tracking down small radio transmitters ('foxes') scattered around forests etc.
The tracking equipment is very simple, so in a Doomsday world the bad guys could soon home in on our CB or cellphone transmissions etc and come get us.
Our best defence would therefore be total radio silence to avoid giving away our position. The zombs can't kill us if they can't find us..;)
A 'Foxhunter'-

Introduction to Amateur Radio Direction Finding | Southgate Amateur Radio News

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, I just looked up 'Radio Direction Finding' on the net and see there are lots of 'RDF Foxhunt' clubs out there who organise competitions to have fun tracking down small radio transmitters ('foxes') scattered around forests etc.
The tracking equipment is very simple, so in a Doomsday world the bad guys could soon home in on our CB or cellphone transmissions etc and come get us.
Our best defence would therefore be total radio silence to avoid giving away our position. The zombs can't kill us if they can't find us..;)
Radios can also be used as bated traps for those that would stalk the operators. It's a standard and effective lure. You can have zombies running ragged all over the woods. Let em come hunt'n.

I think all of the concerns over CB's being traceable are important only if you plan to be engaged in some type of covert response to a SHTF scenario. For those organizing their own neighborhood patrols, watch points or emergency coordination, they're a perfect low cost solution. I've been collecting CB radios to supply to friends and neighbors for just that type of use. I currently have seven good used radios and the most I've paid for one is $8.00. I bought one for fifty cents and the rest I've been given because they needed a new mic or something equally simple to replace. I doubt I have more than $30.00 total in the whole lot. I fitted each one with an automotive cigarette lighter connector and a mag-base antenna... yard sale and flea market stuff.

I run a new Uniden 520 Pro in my truck with a Little-Wil antenna and a Cobra 29 LTD out of the house with a Solarcon iMax 2000 antenna on a 40ft pole. At $100.00, the iMax is the most expensive component, but well worth it.

In this part of the country channel 19 is the only one in regular use. That leaves 39 other channels for whatever you want. For 20 bucks for a good working used system... you can't really go wrong.

There are down sides to any Com solution unless you're spending large money. If you're not looking for deep cover communication... simple and cheap is good.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the local HAM repeater operator (had a few choice words with him one night) threatened to 'track me down' with directional antennas and come to my house and get me busted. Yeah. So I challenged him to 'come find me' and told him I'd buy him a brand new HAM radio of his choosing if he could. Still have not seen hide nor hair of them, been on them all week to keep at it. One guy said I was in a city like 15 miles away, I just started laughing. These 'fox hunt' guys are all poser for sure. Like I said to them: looks good on paper, don't it? But the reality is I am on a handset so no, you won't be finding any big antenna OR be able to track a moving target. Even if they could, they would have to outrun the FJ off road and that is something they'll never do. Now if it was the air force looking for me, I definitely wouldn't stand still for long but then again I wouldn't be afraid at all. There's still the moving signal scenario and it's kind of hard to beat physics. :razz:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Finding your location is only possible if you transmit. God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason - you need to listen more than you talk. So as long as you listen - you are good.

Then there is the moving thing. In a triangulation using three, it is very hard to pinpoint a moving object. If they use four or five or six points, this gets easier.

But then there is strength in numbers. With multiple CB's chatting at one time, it gets harder to track down one signal.

I live in phoenix and I can hear (not talk back to) people in Virginia and California. They are talking on the "skip." Using an afterburner to bounce their signal off of the ionosphere and back down to Earth. That is a HUGE FCC No No. No one has shut them down yet.

A lot of people think that a HIGHER wattage is a good thing - and it can be if you are belting out a May Day call. More wattage = more distance = more potential listeners. But if you are coordinating a neighborhood watch, you might not need more than 1 watt of power to cover all of the people you want to talk to. the other thee or four watts your unit is putting out just over shoots your intended audience and brings more ears to the conversation - maybe a conversation not meant for them.

I would like to find some one local to do some testing with and see in a real world setting how far I can RX/TX.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a fj to I just will throw the cb in the little cubby hole in front of the steering wheel magnet antenna . i love my fj but no storage in the front seat , like my ford pickup has.. this is the the last year for them they are great little 4x4s big V6 plenty of power will pull my 8 by 5 bot like its not there Fully loaded ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts