Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think as a prepper, we always have to consider all ways of prepping. stocking up on guns and food isnt gonna help you if you gotta start hunting, bugging out, running, etc. what ways are you keeping in shape now to prepare for later? I work cardio a lot to build my endurance. the longer i can run, the better. its getting too cold for the hubs and i to hike, but we try to take long hikes throughout the year to keep in shape. i am not a fitness freak and honestly i am too busy working and handling preps at home but i think that working out here and there is vital to prepping.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I work out in sections doing upper body one day lower the next but I do cardio every day. Swimming for those capable of having a pool or going to the YMCA or whatever is the best exercise in the world as you are doing a full body workout. When swimming you are working your arms legs chest muscles back muscles and cardio...

This is a simple workout that can be done every day. If it is your only workout then I suggest you do it twice a day once in the morning when you wake up and before bed, or course with a little time between work out and sleep lol...

In the morning I wake up and do a pyramid of push ups and sit ups.

10,15,20,25,30,25,20,15,10 That equals out to 200 push ups and 200 situps. Now if you cant handle that many do what you can but push yourself... If you cant do all the pushups drop to your knees and continue with your arms.. it will help.... Sit ups are great for the core not so much for the back but I like doing them anyway... again if you cannot finish with the situps go to crunches....

I will be writing a thread later it is a second attempt to a prepper guide as the first one got blotched in an argument.. I will definitely post some personal health things in it... Exercise being one of them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome. i did mma for a long time, so my body is still in pretty good shape, just gotta do stuff here and there to keep me tip top

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
177 Posts
Muay Thai and Krav Maga here.... I never did MMA though I wanted to, then I was deployed... We had mats there so the guys and I bought up some gear and did sparing... that was all fine until someone jacked their knee up.... How do you tell your commander that you are non mission capable in a war zone because you were sparring lol... Good thing he was a gunner in the vehicle. lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always wanted to do muay thai and brazillian jujitsu. i have done plenty of taekwondo, but my main focus was my mma class. it was more fun to participate in the cage than an old fashioned taekwondo tourney

·
Registered
634 Posts
I recently picked up a treadmill and started doing 2 miles a day. Durning the summer I am pretty active but during the winter I kinda turn into a couch patato but changing that this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Sunlight

Or beach walking....we get our exercise watching nature at its best. :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
beautiful, not many beaches where i am, haha

·
Registered
177 Posts
good deal... I used them a lot in afghanistan as even in the FOB it was to rocky to run without risk of injury... I would recommend doing two miles but once you have that down increase to 3 then 4 and then once you have 4 miles down good increase the slant on the treadmill to have a steeper incline then go back and run two then 3 then 4 then rinse and repeat... It gives you a lot harder and much better workout with the elevation...

Picture running a marathon on the flats then picture running a marathon through the hills.... Completely different... I commend you though for taking that step.. Many dont.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Swimming, biking, running all are great. I do triathlons in the summer and it's a great way to not only stay in shape but give yourself a goal to work towards to try and break up the monotony on just working out to work out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Those of you who know me know that I have spent the last eight years recovering from a severe back injury and two related surgeries. Well a week ago on Saturday afternoon I tore a muscle in my left calf. We had to wait until Wednesday to see my doctor and she thought I had blood clots so we had to go to get the ultrasound done to prove that all I did was tear a muscle. OK, it is severe but there is no medical treatment for it. Elevate it, wrap it when using it, ice it, and keep it flexible with limited use. Anyway, it finally started showing bruising - a week after the fact! I have one of the most colorful lower legs I have ever seen. It is black, blue, red and orange from the heal all the way to about two inches below the knee. The pain is back down to a manageable level (I can feel my back pain and the pain from my leg both) So I am taking short walks and keeping it elevated when I am not using it. Icing it doesn't seem to do much other than make it cold. It swells a bit throughout the day and then the swelling goes down after I sleep.

Just thought I would let you know what I am doing to stay in shape in case the SHTF.

This getting older is not for wusses! You gotta be strong to make it to my age.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Nice post.. I try to do a little everyday..hiking or treadmill and a little exercise tho I hate from my old army days, my doctor did make a good point there are 24 hours in a day you can spend one hour on yourself to keep yourself healthy and alive longer..this made sense to me lol.. So I do it...

Reactions: PaulS

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I'm kinda a jock chick! My workouts usually consist of some kind of Insanity drills. I enjoy hiking and also do a little running.

Reactions: littleblackdevil

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to hike and I always walk for miles when hunting (this year in particular:(), but I've had 3 knee surgeries and that has really slowed me down. Old age sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I walk 2 miles a day, every day.. Keeps me fit.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Today it would be snow shoeing and cross country skiing. Any short sprint would be a work out today.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.