Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now I have been looking at the mechanical fishing Yo Yo's and have decided to buy a few to see if or how they'd fit into the scheme of things as a BOB/survival item.

Just I thought I ask and see what you all think of them...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've seen em forever and wondered how well they work. Lately I have seen them for about 5 dollars and 99 cents. Let me know how they work.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting three with the flat triggers (better design?) for 9.99 plus 2.50 S&H. I figure I can risk that to try them out and see if they are useful for a survival or bug out situation.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In some places they are illegal. I know after SHTF it won't matter, but until that time happens remember - you are crazy and they need a reason. And most Game Wardens don't need a warrant.

On a lighter note...
Once upon a time many many moons ago, I was paddling on Lake Caddo between Texas and Louisiana. I didn't even know there was a yo-yo in the tree next to us. All of the sudden it goes ZING! And a catfish comes shooting up on it. Pretty good eatin size too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
They work great for both fishing and as triggers for snares. I haven't tried it but have thought about attaching them to strings and small bells as simple perimeter alarms. $5.99 to $9.99???? Holy crap. I haven't bought any new ones for about 10 years... but they used to be $25 for a box of 12. Wow... prices have really gone up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok, you convinced me to buy a couple..you are an excellent saleman!

·
Registered
640 Posts
$33 still seems reasonable. Especially when you consider you can be fishing for dinner while out hunting, gathering wood, scouting, setting up camp, raiding another camp (j/K), etc. :)

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have a hunch they are multi use. Maybe they could be modified to make a snare...actually I'm kind of excited waiting for them to get here, so I can tinker a bit and see how they work.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a hunch they are multi use. Maybe they could be modified to make a snare...actually I'm kind of excited waiting for them to get here, so I can tinker a bit and see how they work.

I bought mine for actual fishing... I'm totally excited to see how well it works!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe they are better than a simple trot line because the keep tension on line after the fish is hooked. I'm going to look into using them. They are not covered in the fishing regs. It may simply be a matter of getting a permit. I crawdad too and there is not much in the regs about that either. Yet it is permissable as long as the traps are properly ID's and of a certain size. Which mine are...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I love yoyo fishing, my grandfather would tie some cinch knot, that I still havent mastered, and you just pulled the loose end of the string, to remove it from the tree limb. Not sure about the the newest laws, I know in Arkansas, a few years ago, you could trot line and yoyo and jug and have 15 fishingpoles set out if you wanted. In New Mexico, you can buy a permit "for a second rod", so fwiw, check your regs, also. if your gonna use minnows or goldfish, try hooking them throu the tops of their eye sockets, rather than throu the backbone, becouse they will live much longer. also, never ever put your hand inside a minnow bucket, as the oil from your skin will kill the minnows.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mechanical fishing yoyo was something I stumbled across while on line...it was one of those what the heck moments? hey! that looks like it'll work and fit nicely into the scheme of things!

I like to hunt and fish, but when I'm being brutally honestly with myself I realize that I do way better at getting my dinner from the water than I do hunting for it and to be frank I absolutley suck at making snares. Yeah I can make them but they aren't nearly as pretty as the ones on You Tube...

When I posted this topic, I really didn't know if others were into using the fishing yoyo or if it was widely known about and simply taken for granted. I'm amazed that I've been into prepping for a while now (years) and I still find prepping/survival things I didn't know existed...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Got mine today, neat contraption. Found out they arent legal to use in ca though!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ouch!
Thats too bad! sorry to hear that. Do you think it would it be a useful item for a survival kit or BOB, or no?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ouch!
Thats too bad! sorry to hear that. Do you think it would it be a useful item for a survival kit or BOB, or no?
Oh it definitely is! CA law wont make a difference if shtf. Plus you can use them as snares.
Apparently even being in possession of one in or along waters is illegal regardless of whether or not its deployed.
CA law is _____ sometimes (fill in the blanks: stupid, pointless, bs, moronic...they all work)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts