Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8,058 Posts
Fishing this time of year in Michigan usually involves ice.

I've found when jigging for perchies, that after you catch a few in the hole start raising the jig closer and closer to the bottom of the ice until the perchies school up just under. Then you only have to pull them up a little and makes for faster catching.

A red anise ball on an oversize treble hook on jigging rapalas works wonders for perch, until Mr Tooth aka a Slimer comes along

While jigging for perchies minnows in a submerged glass moonshine jug will draw fish in for a look see. If you don't bite your hook, slam them with a spear.

In absence of the jug because your shine is still in it. Buy a 2 liter pop and pour it out,then remove the label and use that. Just punch some holes in it for the minnows to breathe.

If you leave it in overnight the fish will be waiting for you the next morning

6 - 8" perch(dinks) work well as tip up bait for Slimers

These tips may or may not be legal in your state or country so check your local regulations

· Registered
8,058 Posts
Since this is the time of year that tinsel may be used.

Steal some from your tree and wrap it around the spearing decoy, it flashes and attracts Mr.Tooth and buddies.

I like using 10 # yellow stren or blue ice fishing line for visibilty, but if I can see it so can the fishes. So I tie some fine low visibilty fluorocarbon line onto the bright ugly line for a leader.

The heavy line will have kinks in it above the hole in the air, when the kinks begin to straighten out it means somethings playing with it,set the hook.

· Registered
6,605 Posts
Stay away from bug spray. Don't let it touch your hands or baits. Watched a show and they dropped a couple drops into a large fish tank with a few large bass in it. They freaked out and hid in the cover on the bottom. Looked like a underage drinking party and someone yells the cops are here. Repels fish better than bugs.

· Administrator
15,775 Posts
I quit fishing in Florida years ago. Too many rules to remember. Took all the fun out of it.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Since this is the time of year that tinsel may be used.

Steal some from your tree and wrap it around the spearing decoy, it flashes and attracts Mr.Tooth and buddies.

I like using 10 # yellow stren or blue ice fishing line for visibilty, but if I can see it so can the fishes. So I tie some fine low visibilty fluorocarbon line onto the bright ugly line for a leader.

The heavy line will have kinks in it above the hole in the air, when the kinks begin to straighten out it means somethings playing with it,set the hook.
I've been using Cajun Red for the past 7 or 8 years. So far so good.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Gunners Top 5 Fishing Tips
Tip 1. The Best time to go fishin is when its raining and it when aint
Tip 2. Always bring enough bait
Tip 3. Always bring enough beer
Tip 4. Always bring enough gas
Tip 5 Big Tackle cathes big fish
Water Sky Plant Shorts Cloud
Shorts Sky Property Plant Natural environment
Plant Sky Tree Rural area Leisure
Plant Window Leisure Shorts Tree

Reactions: txmarine6531

· Registered
105 Posts
When using a large minnow as bait, I used to hook it by the lip & cast it out. I missed alot of strikes that way.

Then I learned to hook the minnow thru the back, right behind the dorsal fin...Now I hook almost every strike! It seems that's right where the big fish will bite the minnow.

Water Fin Body of water Sky Black-and-white

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.