Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my new favorite fishing setup. Some of you might have heard of it before but I have just recently found them. The poles are Emmrod check out Welcome To Emmrod® Fishing Gear's official Site They are SUPER small but have the casting ability of a normal sized rod. They are small enough to put in your BOB too..I am going to be posting pics and video of them in use on our blog in the next day or two. Tell them that Jeff from SurvivingTheBreaks sent ya and he will hook both of us up.. So far it is the best pole I have found for SHTF!! And there are different styles from spinning to flyfishing.. Keep an eye out for my videos too..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
YOYO Automatic Fishing Reel-Go Fast and Light

I think casting from the stream bank after SHTF is asking to be ambushed, I just purchased 12 of these on eBay and will be trying them this fall on my 80 mile get home experiment I plan to do on foot.

What could be better than catching fish while you sleep or observe from cover.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
The yoyo works fine till a bigger fish gets on it & will break the spring. They are designed for panfish I think.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've caught 5lb catfish on them and the spring didn't break. They unwind and rewind with a bit of pressure and sort of play the fish for you. A really big one is likely to break it... but they could do the same to any light gear you take in a BOB as well. I had a 1lb skate strip a medium reel... busted right open and ball bearings flew all over the boat. Missed a darn good meal that day... :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've heard good things about the Yoyo, haven't used one myself though. My uncle would use trotlines and droplines with me when my family would go camping (at my grandpas rural farm), and we always had great luck with channel and bullhead catfish. They were simple enough to set up, but we only ever used them in large ponds.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm open to a better option, but at this point I'm still going to carry my Ugly Stick 2 piece spinning rod with Shimano reel. I tie it off to the side of my BOB and go. I guess casting off shore could make you a target, but the reality is, anything that will bring the attention of scumbags post shtf, looking to steal from others will make you a target. You've got to survive and best bet is to keep as best away from those you can't trust and surround yourself with those you can. And shoot, stab, beat with a stick, etc., anyone looking to do you harm before they do.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what ya mean. I have acquired a few yo-yo's recently and grew up on Lake Okeechobee and have set many a trot lines.. And have some put back for SHTF. Make sure you check them occasionally to make sure they don't get dry rot.. I do still enjoy fishing (one of my favorite hobbies) and also plan on fishing post shtf is why I brought up those poles. I actually read an several page article on them in an issue of The Backwoodsman and they intrigued me. I have looked at several videos of them on youtube also and they are the coolest pole I have ever seen. Depending on the weather, I am going to try to take the ones I have out and try them today.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Gentlemen, I think I know what a trot line is. Would you explain it to me in detail, so I don't end up catching the local milking cow by mistake? (It could happen.) I like the look of these yoyo lines, and was just requested by my co-worker to buy several for her. Thanks for the head's up!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gentlemen, I think I know what a trot line is. Would you explain it to me in detail, so I don't end up catching the local milking cow by mistake? (It could happen.) I like the look of these yoyo lines, and was just requested by my co-worker to buy several for her. Thanks for the head's up!
A trot line is a long line that has hundreds to thousands of lines attached to it. They are usually at several feet intervals with a hook attached to each one. You just go along and pull up the line and check every hook and pull the fish off as you go. I used to out with catfishermen on Lake Okeechobee and they would catch hundreds and even thousands a day..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, what PrepConsultant said, but for my use they'd have maybe a dozen or a dozen and a half lines attached lol It depends on the size of the area you're fishing. It gives you the chance to catch multiple fish at a time, without having to actively cast a pole. Great for setting and then doing anything else that needs done. It was always exciting to check the lines, you could tell if you had something on a line because the "master line" that all others were tied off of was pulled down, you never knew what was on the end of the line, or how big it was!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, what PrepConsultant said, but for my use they'd have maybe a dozen or a dozen and a half lines attached lol It depends on the size of the area you're fishing. It gives you the chance to catch multiple fish at a time, without having to actively cast a pole. Great for setting and then doing anything else that needs done. It was always exciting to check the lines, you could tell if you had something on a line because the "master line" that all others were tied off of was pulled down, you never knew what was on the end of the line, or how big it was!
I have made them myself over the years with anywhere from 10-25 lines on them. They come in pretty handy and are easy to make.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I would rather assemble a 2'x2'x4' trap from small branches and set it on the bottom with some rocks. No messing with bait, hooks, or worrying that some raccoon is gonna come along and eat your fish.
The other great thing about a trap is that once in they stay there and stay fresh.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Why limit yourself, I personally will be trapping, and using shore based trotlines, along with my "dock demon" fishing pole. Its small, cheap, almost unbreakable, and cost 9.99 at walmart.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm open to a better option, but at this point I'm still going to carry my Ugly Stick 2 piece spinning rod with Shimano reel. I tie it off to the side of my BOB and go. I guess casting off shore could make you a target, but the reality is, anything that will bring the attention of scumbags post shtf, looking to steal from others will make you a target. You've got to survive and best bet is to keep as best away from those you can't trust and surround yourself with those you can. And shoot, stab, beat with a stick, etc., anyone looking to do you harm before they do.
I couldn't help but reply

Haha my regular stream rig is a Ugly stick 2 with a really small Shimano reel (I use 4 lb test)

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love recreation fishing - especially fly fishing but in a survival situation there is going to be precious little time for anything other than staying alive. Fishing comes second to making sure your shelter is good enough, that you have heat, and getting potable water. If you are really prepared then looking after your plants and animals also will take precedence over fishing. A trap is put in place and walked away from with the knowledge that fish caught will be there when you get back to it.

I like fishing so much that I have often taken my fly rod without a hook and just practiced casting for the pure enjoyment of the solitude. Watching fish strike at a hookless fly is as much enjoyment as actually catching the fish.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't get me wrong, I love recreation fishing - especially fly fishing but in a survival situation there is going to be precious little time for anything other than staying alive. Fishing comes second to making sure your shelter is good enough, that you have heat, and getting potable water. If you are really prepared then looking after your plants and animals also will take precedence over fishing. A trap is put in place and walked away from with the knowledge that fish caught will be there when you get back to it.

I like fishing so much that I have often taken my fly rod without a hook and just practiced casting for the pure enjoyment of the solitude. Watching fish strike at a hookless fly is as much enjoyment as actually catching the fish.
There is an emergency survival situation and then there is a SHTF situation. In the latter, it would be for an extended period I would say. You say that looking over your plants and animals would take priority over fishing. I don't think that way. Personally, I don't think a SHTF situation is going to be all doom and gloom and only survival. If there is no enjoyment, what is the reason for even surviving to live??

I have been seeing that a lot on several message boards lately where people think that if something were to happen, that all they will ever have time for is survival. Maybe in the very beginning for those that haven't prepared. But if you are prepared and can live off grid, there is absolutely no reason for it to be all doom and gloom with ONLY survival to think about. If the grid were to go down, it's not like people are going to be eating bugs and catchin rainwater forever to live.. Just my 2cc's

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks for the head's up. I thought that was what it was about. Sounds like a great way to fish, while doing the laundry, churning butter, making goat cheese and delivering a baby in the garden, while pulling carrots out...::clapping::

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks for the head's up. I thought that was what it was about. Sounds like a great way to fish, while doing the laundry, churning butter, making goat cheese and delivering a baby in the garden, while pulling carrots out...::clapping::
Of course. But what do you after breakfast?

Reactions: Renec

·
Registered
723 Posts
Fishing has been a life long passion of mine. I fished bass tournaments for 20+ years. Now I've slowed the pace a little, don't tourney fish anymore, but still very active. I believe it will be strictly survival fishing for a time after the SHTF. The way to go while bugging out will be yo-yo's and limb lines. Both are small, mobile set ups that can move with you on your way to your BOL. They'll still have use once you arrive, but a trotline would add a great deal of meat to your diet and stores. I've got a small boat and paddles to run my lines after dark. Not saying there will be no time for recreational fishing. Just beware of the parasites that want what you've got.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts