Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know there are telescoping fishing rods.. however to me, that wasnt small enough. I started looking for something I could keep in my EDC as well as in my BOB that would not take up much room.

I found this: PEN ROD

Im thinking about getting one and testing it out.. seeing how much room it would take up. I was thinking of setting up some fishing equipment in my truck and keep it in there always, but there is always that WHAT IF.. and something like this should fit easily.

What do you think?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Ok, I know there are telescoping fishing rods.. however to me, that wasnt small enough. I started looking for something I could keep in my EDC as well as in my BOB that would not take up much room.

I found this: PEN ROD

Im thinking about getting one and testing it out.. seeing how much room it would take up. I was thinking of setting up some fishing equipment in my truck and keep it in there always, but there is always that WHAT IF.. and something like this should fit easily.

What do you think?
My thoughts are that the pen rod is SWEET but unfortunately I am partial to closed reels. If you like open faced rods I would say go for that puppy in a heartbeat. I keep a fairly adaptable fishing kit in the BOV that came out of my old CR-V. It's great for the avid angler because you can just pull off the road (which I am known to do) and hit the banks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leon, I love that grab and go.. I have two rods that are like that but they dont fold down much, and I was looking more towards getting something for in the EDC, which would need smaller.

Im wondering if they have a small closed reel that can be added.. Ill keep looking.. in the mean time, Im going to see if I can find the one you had.. I do like that... that might even do.. :) thank you so much for sharing..:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Golden Mini Pocket Aluminum Alloy Fish Pen Fishing Rod Pole with Baitcasting Reel from suntek store for just under $9. Im gonna check it out. Seems cheaper then most of the others I found online... so not sure of the quality or if its the same item as the others.. but if it works out... $9 is not bad.

Id still like to try out the grab and go if you have some info on where I can get it... I cant seem to find it..:(

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I got that as a gift with a little tackle kit and I think someone got it for me at tjmaxx on the closeout isle. Hard to tell where it came from, but telescopic rods with closed reels are all over the place. Those short reels are no slackers either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, Ill give them a call tomorrow and find out if it will fit the pen, if it does, that would rock.. I see people using this pen rod and I guess it has to do with how big the persons hands are, because it looks like there are two different sizes.. Ill just see.. then Ill see if it fits my EDC... oh I hate waiting..LOL

·
Banned
62 Posts
I'll stick to trotlines, gill nets, fish traps, etc, thanks. they can be working for me 24-7, in dozens of locations, and can be "serviced" at night, with much less risk of my being noticed/shot/followed back to my retreat/caches. Holding a fishing pole, in daylight, is kid stuff, nearly certain to get you shot, if shtf.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got my Pen Rod in today (the 21st).. and I like it.. its not bad at all. Once my camera is charged, Ill be doing a little video on it. Im curious to know if there are different levels of quality. Im going to buy one of the more expensive pen rods, and see if there is a difference. If not, then Ill pick up more of these.. It only cost me $8 and change.. with free shipping. Cheapest I found anywhere. All in all, it seems to be pretty good..:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
My Greek friends taught me how to fish without using a pole. I like it much better because you can feel every nibble on the bait. Unless you are fishing for Marlin or Blue Fin Tuna it is awesome to fish without a pole. I have seen them even deep sea fish though with no pole and have even caught sharks that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts