Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys may wonder what a Squatch does in his spare time (I'm sure you stay up nights wondering). Well, in my spare time I'm a fish wrangler. Over the years I've had many a fish tank but now that I'm older and wiser I try to make them better. In fact I like them to be functional.

I wanted a fish pond but I have nowhere to dig a hole so I thought above ground was the way to go. I built the entire thing and installed planter boxes to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Currently I have small Koi and Shubunkin goldfish housed in it. Believe me, if SHTF these guys are going on grill.

pondside.jpg

pondtop.jpg

pond koi.jpg

I've also been testing the idea of using my inside tank to grow plants for eating (Aquaponics). It's not a lot of food but it's something. This is my small 5 gallon tank I'm testing this out on.

unnamed (5).jpg

The cups are netted and hold clay balls which is what the plants are buried in. The roots grow through seeking the water below. The fish waste acts as fertilizer and in turn the plant gives off O2 and helps keep the water clear.

aquaponics test.jpg

And this is my newly started Aquascape tank (20gal) that once fills in will look a lot better. I'm going to build a top like on the 5 gal. to house whatever vegetables or herbs I decide to grow in it. Still need to install the lighting and put the fish in once the tank has cycled.

Aquatank.jpg

This is aquaponics on a very small scale. I'm hoping to learn from this experience so I can make it much bigger in the future.

·
Super Moderator
9,481 Posts
Now that's creative! And I thought those in CA solely relied on others.

I guess that make you smarter than the average Sasquatch. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
That's cool , very good ideal . Where is the surfing sas at ? lol

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool , very good ideal . Where is the surfing sas at ? lol
Surfing Sas is up at the crack of dawn to shred the waves and then back into the workshop by noon.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
LMAO , have fun my friend .

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Impressive Sasquatch. You could start a side business with those skills.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Very cool Squatch. I like the way you have the outside tank set up. Sets me to thinking.

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Great work Sir. Very artistic craftsmanship on that. You need your own Tanked show on TV. Now as concerns the noodling word..never heard of it tell they came out with the term a few yeas back. Back in the 80s all the old fish wranglers who worked the Red River and its tributaries called "grabbling." Noodling must be some kinda new fangled yankee word.
Urban Dictionary: Grabbling

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Back in the 80s all the old fish wranglers who worked the Red River and its tributaries called "grabbling." Noodling must be some kinda new fangled yankee word.
Urban Dictionary: Grabbling
Yep... lotta Yankees in Mississippi. :) Call it what you want, but IMO, any person that wants to blindly reach underwater, under some stump... well that person just ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. They are just begging to have their genetics removed from the gene pool.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Thanks for the share Squatch, its a nice change to see what interests others here. I used to be a salt water guy, and have been through 9 or 10 different set ups ... moved on though.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Yep... lotta Yankees in Mississippi. :) Call it what you want, but IMO, any person that wants to blindly reach underwater, under some stump... well that person just ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. They are just begging to have their genetics removed from the gene pool.
Yeppers..they do tend to be a rowdy bunch. They grabbled fish and seined then ground up dead minnows to make a top secret catfish bait which they sold to everybody in town. Their cute wives would come into the VFW in the evening smelling like toothpaste..which I did not realize at the times is a great way to get the stink of dead minnows off a persons hands. Anyway the Alpha of the pack say the big danger of the hobby is when reaching into a hole and finding something with hair on it..Which he say is most likely a beaver and he will nip off a finger. So back out real slow..lol. This is one of the crew.
About Danny King

1 - 14 of 14 Posts