Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw this out there. A friend gave me ground elk burger, my first, so I diced up a little bacon and mixed it into the ground meat. Just a pinch of salt and pepper, and pan seared them in bacon drippings. Ahh..Decided I should have a least some vegatables in me, so I diced and onion, was cooking it in the rest of the drippings when I found and added some very frostcovered stirfry veggies. I must say, I loved it. The veggies are just filler, the burgers are AWESOME. I will have to enter NM draw system for next year.
ANYONE hunting in southern Colorado, or Northern NM, and want some help packing an animal out, let me know- WILL WORK FOR FOOD.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And. if my stupid, brand new three day old smart phone would work, i would have attatched a picture.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A one inch thick backstrap steak, medium to rare with some salt and a bit of pepper is all it takes to convince you that elk - or any venison - is better than any other kind of steak on the planet.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sir, Mr Paul, I have had some great venison, althou I havn't killed one of my very own yet, So, alas, no backstrap steaks. But I have enjoyed some great venison prepared like chickenfried steak with whitepepper gravy. My 13 or so years of hunting on and off, I have only harvested squirrels, doves and a rattlesnake.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bigcheese, everything I researched talked about elk burgers needing a little extra fat, So I figured what the hell, a lot is better than a little..

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
A one inch thick backstrap steak, medium to rare with some salt and a bit of pepper is all it takes to convince you that elk - or any venison - is better than any other kind of steak on the planet.
Agreed. The only thing that can improve your recipe is to cook it on a maple plank.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Elk is my favorite meat by far. A true gourmet delicacy.

Elk backstrap is terrific, but my favorite is bone-in elk ribeye.

I grill it over coals from a wood fire, and make a glaze from fresh blackberries blended with blackberry jam warmed up with the juice of half a lemon. Put the glaze on the side if you prefer dipping.

One of the best meals I have ever eaten.... Bucket list item, trust me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts