Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Reactions: Seneca

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I've been "prepping" since the 1970s. It seems to me that most authors write only about generalized preparations. Here are some considerations you never see most authors of articles and books take on:

1) What are you prepping FOR? For example, are your preparations for inclement weather (tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.) or are you preparing for civil disorder and / or a potential internal war?

2) In your preparations scenario, how do you envision your encounters with the system? I mean do you see yourself complying with the National Guard and going to their fallout shelter (where your Bug Out Bag is confiscated, searched and contraband removed)?

3) In your Evacuation and Rendezvous plans, do you stay put in a geographical area or become mobile?

4) Are you in a rural or suburban environment? Do you leave a rural environment to go to a suburban environment or would you leave the city and head for the woods? Maybe you will just stay put???

5) If you have children or invalids living with you, how do you prepare for their needs? If you have some kind of medical condition (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) how do you prepare for your survival needs?

It's just a few considerations.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
That Costco package is awefully light on meat proteins.

Uncle Sam used to have a ration (food per person per day) of one pound of meat, one pound of Veggies/fruit and one pound of starch beans, taters bread.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Focus on skills and think out different circumstances and how you would use what you have. We too often focus on buying things that most likely will not be handy when we need them.

What if nothing happens? Will you be prepared for old age?

·
Super Moderator
9,354 Posts
Focus on skills and think out different circumstances and how you would use what you have. We too often focus on buying things that most likely will not be handy when we need them.

What if nothing happens? Will you be prepared for old age?
Kinda my thinkin. If nothing else, I can use some skills to make some extra money as I get older.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. I went there, checked it out and was finally able to present a format to my wife who went "Hmmm. Now I get it." and finally jumped on board. Instead of looking at me like I was crazy. My daughter, her fiance and my grand-daughter just moved in this weekend so I was able to toss in the importance of being ready even if it was just in the event of a bad snow-storm, an extended loss of power, a broken water main or something like that; not necessarily an EOTWAWKI event or some societal collapse, just kept it simple in terms she was ready to digest.

Then I went to my "grown kids" and made the same presentation, who readily accepted. Which finally got my son-in-law excited about something where his skills can be utilized for the safety and comfort of our extremely large family. Hopefully, I can get the rest of my family heading that way too. Which I'm sure will be easy to do. My mother lives next door, my sister and her family live about 4 blocks away and my dad is moving back into town this week, which, as always, will be close by, within a couple minutes walking distance. My sisters ex and my niece live 2 blocks over. So everyone will be close by and we have a rally point to gather at, and spread people out (next door) if need be.

So this link was very helpful in finally getting my family on-board! And this is why I joined this forum; I knew one day, something would come along to enlighten and open their eyes. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! ::clapping::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts