Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and excited with all the topics and conversations I've observed. Until recently Ive always been an apartment dweller and had to keep my preps on the lighter side for mobility. Recently I've become a manager of a 90 unit complex which offers rent free living and an income so me and the best half can start saving for land stat! Until then my building offers a great opprotunity for short term bugging in. The building is a seniors complex so most will be evacuated early on. As management I am the last man on deck. I have a 900 sq foot concrete boiler room that also houses 2 500 gallon hot water tanks. Sump pit, deck drains, secure fresh air, limited access to area. What I'm looking for is being able to get through about 14 days max until I can make my true bug out. Any tips on fortifying the steel doors? Is this even sane? My only close secure area to get to isn't mine, so this may be my only choice. Any "improvements have to "blend" with a boiler room/ work shop motif.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not sure I have any ideas to suggest for you. Best thing I can come up with is to store your preps in 5 gallon buckets so they don't attract much in the way of attention. As for the boiler room doors you could maybe have them replaced with the heavy steel industrial doors by the property owner under the guise of "security". Maybe others here can come up with something better.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Welcome aboard!

It sounds like any added security would need to be of the stealth variety. Fortunately security is one of those things that brings intrinsic value with it, rather you are prepping or not. My suggestion on the doors (assuming double doors?) is to make sure they have top and bottom bolt capabilities if you are looking at the space as a "last stand"/Safe Room alternative. Put the best locks on them that you can get the owner to spring for as well.

You mentioned there is limited access to the area. Does this mean there is an additional area you can make more secure that is an entry way to the boiler room? If so, investigate ways to do that.

Make friends with your maintenance folks seems like a real good idea as well.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
It sounds like a pretty decent plan to me.

You don't really have to prep the boiler room too much beforehand as long as you have the hasps, locks, or whatever on hand. If the SHTF, evacuate to there and reenforce it after the fact. I might make a sign that says, "Medical Waste Storage, respirators required beyond this point" to hang on the outside of the door if it comes to that. ;P

I would store my preps in my apartment, then move them to that location during the chaos of the elderly evacuation or at night. The last thing you want is for word to get out that you have a bunch of valuable survival stuff stashed in there.

Oh, and don't forget sanitation. You will probably want a portable camp potty and extra TP!

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
2x4 steel channels across the top, middle and bottoms of the door are easy to put in place If the hanging hardware is in place.
How many floors? if multiple floors you will need to build support and or protection from debris from above.
The hot water tanks hold all the water you will need for a limited stay if you can shut them down and shut off the supply from outside.
I suppose the boilers are natural gas fired so you have the ability to use that gas for other things as well.
You will need to find a way to deal with solid waste - I doubt a sump drain will handle it.
It's a better start than most have - just build on what you have - add food, cleanliness items, first aid, traveling gear, guns and what ever else you need.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota.

I really like your idea! I would never have thought of getting set up like you did for preps. It sounds like a great way to secure yourself now, and still be able to save for your own place. Atta boy - good thinkin!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas! will be making changes to door and increasing food and other stores soon. This place is great!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts