Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indie's awesome present to her husband brought back memories of my first real gun.
A single shot, bolt action .22 with the plunger you had to pull back to cock.
My Aunt and Uncle gave to me on my 11th Christmas, and it did cause a ruckus becouse mom thought I was to young.
I have lost a lot of memories due to my sleep apnea, but thank God I still have that one.
Anybody else care to share?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My first gun was an Ithaca Model 49 It was a beautifully made single shot lever action. BOO HOO I want my Ithaca back They say it only cost $12 in 1962 I would gladly pay 10x that amount if I could find who has it and it is still in good condition.

My fondest memory was me and my older brother hunting and we both missed a squirrel and I just slipped another bullet in and he had a Crosman pellet gun and was running through the woods chasing that squirrel trying to get that thing pumped up and for some reason I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
DeeBo - I received a Winchester 68 for my 11th birthday in 1955. It sounds just your description. I loved my gun for 20 years and then, like an idiot, I sold it. I sure wish I had it back again. I shot many squirrels with it over the years. Open iron sights and all.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My first gun was 410 shotgun I recently passed it down to my nephew with a picture me holding up my first crow I'm holding the gun also.
I was about 10

His first gun was a "Cricket" .22 single shot with the pull back plunger. It was from me.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
When the school year was over in '67, Sarge sold me the rifle I'd shot with all season on the Rifle Team. a pre war Winchester Model 52. What did it cost me? $15.00 If my memory serves me correctly

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mine was a Mossy 12ga. to. Dad took me to the hardware store to get it not long before my 10th birthday. I desperately wanted a 395, but every one of them at the store had a crack in the chamber area! Reluctantly got a 500, but was still thrilled! Was wayyy to long for me to handle well, but a 12 gauge was the only gun I wanted. Been hunting plenty using his guns, so knew what I liked. Had that gun for over 30 years and tens of thousands of rounds without ever a single problem from it. Gave it away to a good friend that needed it more than I did about 3 years ago. I'm SURE it's still working like a Swiss watch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine was a Remington 1100 12ga. Mom and Dad gave me for Christmas many years ago.

Reactions: Denton

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
Dad bought me a Winchester 22 rifle for my 10th birthday. That was 55 years ago and the rifle is long gone. I don't remember the model number and have never seen another like it. I would love to have another.
It was a single shot, but it worked on blow back. You cocked it once, fed a round through a loading gate built into the top of the reciever, and after firing the bolt would re-cock, the empty fell out the bottom, you inserted a fresh round and shot again. The safety was on the top of the reciever at the rear.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,399 Posts
When the school year was over in '67, Sarge sold me the rifle I'd shot with all season on the Rifle Team. a pre war Winchester Model 52. What did it cost me? $15.00 If my memory serves me correctly
I brought home a whole lot of trophies and medals with the Winchester 52. The stock wasn't "stock" but nobody's was. Nowadays, the rifles look like they are from outer space.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Was an old bolt action single shot 22 with the plunger you pull back. I was 10 that year I believe. For Christmas the same year I got a H&R 12 ga single shot which is still one of my favorite to go bird hunting with. and a Winchester 94 30-30 lever with top eject..

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
1984: S&W 28, 4-inch, Target grips. Was told it was a police trade in, a victim of wonderninitus. Should'a never let that one go...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I also got a Marlin model 25 bolt action and a model 60 semi auto tube fed that I traded work for not long after. We used to do a LOT of **** hunting and I liked my 22's. Even though the dogs did most of the work. We would shoot them out of the trees and had a few fellas in the quarters that would give us $5-$10 each. Which was good money when you were 10-14yrs old. We would get 10-25 over a weekend.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My first gun - I bought it for myself - was a Winchester model 62A pump action 22. It wasn't a beauty and it wasn't the most accurate gun but it was mine. I passed it down to my son and he traded it for a transmission... It was his but it was also the first gun that he and his sister ever shot. My son is not sentimental about those things yet.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The first gun I went hunting with is a ithica model 60 lever handle single shot. I got when I was 12 years old. Many squirrels gave all in defense of that shot gun. I still have it way in the back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts