Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many parents here had their kids attend firearm safety classes.
I remember going when I was in 4th grade. I wasn't allowed to shoot without an adult present before I went and passed with a perfect score.
As an adult I've taught a few classes and one important thing I noticed was that kids are easier to teach than adults. They pay attention and follow the rules. Too many adults think they know it all and try it their way first.
Anyway if you have kids, own guns or not, send them to a safety class if you haven't already. PLEASE!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 12yr old who has completed his hunters safety course two years ago and owns 3 firearms himself as well as 3 bows (a crossbow,compound and a recurve).He is in competition archery at his school and has robin hooded an arrow at 40yds.He's taken 2 deer now along with numerous squirrels/rabbits and I called him in a turkey last year,plus he shoots quarter size groups at 100yds with his 4x32 scoped Marlin .22.He is one member of our 3 family prepper defense team.My two friends/neighbors also have younguns that are hunters and part of the team as well,however,my son is the youngest.Kids are commonly underestimated when it comes to their capabilities/talents and also tend to do better under stress than many adults.My boy and I were throwing axes the other day and he split the handle on mine stuck in the stump which he purposely aimed at with his,he still owes me for that one,lol.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Years ago my son was with his scout troop at the shooting range. One of the adult's, who should have known better, was corrected twice on safety by my son. This wasn't minor stuff either. The second time I took the guy aside and explained to him that if it happened a third time his doctor would need to surgically remove the rifle from his rectum. His reaction was as if we were the bad guys and since nobody died all was OK.
Again, not a single, minor mistake was done by a kid. It's the know it all adults that have the mental issues.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My daughter took the concealed firearm class with me a few years ago. She was 10 at the time. Not because I plan to carry or have her carry, but just for the gun education.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My dad had me sit in on a gun safety class when I was 8, before I was allowed to shoot a non bb/pellet gun, then when I was old enough to take it which was around 12 I took the class. If I have kids I plan on having them take gun safety as soon as they can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts