Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More so for a true end of the world bag/ tool kit but anybody every think of grabbing a Fire Hydrant Wrench? I've seen some that only weigh about a pound and are a max length of 12 inches. Think it would be worth it? Would the pressure in the system hold if the water was obtained by gravity from a water tower?

Also any suggestions on how to collect the water without wasting to much?

Here's one of the sites I was looking at
www.grainger.com

·
Registered
634 Posts
It would pretty much have to be a complete end of the world scenario before I would even think about touching Gov. property. Nothing wrong in having the tool but the chances of it ever getting used are about 0.001%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would pretty much have to be a complete end of the world scenario before I would even think about touching Gov. property. Nothing wrong in having the tool but the chances of it ever getting used are about 0.001%.
My thoughts exactly. I would only use if there is no government left.

·
Super Moderator
9,115 Posts
More so for a true end of the world bag/ tool kit but anybody every think of grabbing a Fire Hydrant Wrench? I've seen some that only weigh about a pound and are a max length of 12 inches. Think it would be worth it? Would the pressure in the system hold if the water was obtained by gravity from a water tower?

Also any suggestions on how to collect the water without wasting to much?

Here's one of the sites I was looking at
www.grainger.com
Remove hose cap, use 5 gallon pail and open hydrant slowly. You are right, when water tower is emptied hydrant pressure reduces to nothing too. A hydrant wrench does not open every hydrant, just most. It can also be used as a club or hammer. Not in my BOB but I have an aluminum pipe wrench (18 inch). I have it to trun off water into my house, gas into my house, whacking intruders in the head and it's light weight. Thanks for the idea to use it for opening hydrants. If you open a hydrant on top of a hill, you might be able to get some water from a hydrant at the bottom of the hill. But, I'll bet it'll be dirty and rusty.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have one along with my "Crovel" , Machete, and a few knives. Hope I never have to use it!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would rather have a giant channel locks in my truck it will not only open a fire hydrant but can be used to twist door knobs open whether they are locked are not, twist locks open, close the gas valve in the house, many emergency uses and one jaw can be used as a pry bar.
Channellock 480 5-1/2-Inch Jaw Capacity 20-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier - Amazon.com

The picture doesn't give it justice but it is 20" long and opens to 5"

But I don't see how a fire hydrant would be of any use in a SHTF situation because they are on the same pipe line that feeds the homes so if they have water you could just get water from any out door faucet.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The hydrants use the same water that goes into your home. It is just a bigger pipe. That is why when they "flush" the hydrants your water is "dirty" looking. It is supposed to be "safe" to drink but it looks like you dipped it out of a mud puddle.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My guess would be if things have gone that far array you can go the the nearest fire station and find their still laying where they were. LOTS of things may have been looted, but how many people will have the faintest clue what that is? Your also assuming all public utilities are still working. If you don't have tap water flowing why would a hydrant have pressure? Same pumping station drives the pressure to both.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
A big pipe wrench will do it and many other things.

Reactions: PaulS
1 - 9 of 9 Posts