Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't laugh! I just bought an Ithaca model 49 Saddlegun. It's a single shot, lever action .22 that looks like a model 94 Winchester. I paid way too much for it but had to have it. $200.00! I bought one new when I was a kid from Sears for $49.00. I saved up forever to buy it. It was with me 99% of the time growing up. Even went to school with me sometimes. Back in the day before guns were bad.
For the non-believers about having guns at school, it was expected that every boy have at least a pocket knife but most had one on their belt. Guns & knives were thought of as tools not weapons. We never had any misuse or accidents either.
When I left for the service my dad gave it away. I've been looking all these years to replace it. Which explains why I paid such a ridiculous price. It's in perfect shape but seems to have shrunk quite a bit and doesn't weigh as much as I thought it did. OK laugh if you want, I still think it's cool.

·
Administrator
14,681 Posts
Good find! And if it makes you happy, then it's worth whatever you were willing to pay. I would love to have one myself.
I saw one at a small town Georgia pawn shop for $125 a number of years ago but it had a fairly good size hunk of wood broken from the toe of the stock. I checked Numrich but they didn't have a butt stock at the time so I passed.
I wanted it to go with my Ithaca Model 66 Super Single 20 gauge. If you've never seen one it's got an underlever just like your Model 49 that opens the action. Very cool. And collectable. I traded it for another gun, however. A Mossberg 410 bolt action shotgun. Model 183KE, two shot repeater with C-Lect choke. Also very cool. And collectible.
Man, I love old guns. I'm not tacticool in the least. Just keepin' it real with wood and stel.

Reactions: oswegoscott

·
Administrator
14,681 Posts
Back in the 80's a friend had his NFA license and among other things a Browning M2 50 caliber. Back then it was $3 per round to shoot.
First (and last) time I had fired one since 'Nam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts