Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across this video and thought it was well worth sharing...I like most of you store a ferro rod and striker in my BOB and other kits. I never considered ferro rod corrosion or it's causes. This is informative to say the least...it can happen fairly quickly and seriously damage or destroy the ferro rod...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I ran into something similar I had a bunch of butane lighters stored (not Bic) and seen on one of these sites someone warning about long storage of lighters because the flint has a tendency to corrode and jam in its holder.
Well I test them and more then half were useless and no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to work. Also about the corrosion on ferro-rods all of them I have seen comes with a black coating on them that you have to scrap off first it must be for corrosion protection. I have also seen the small flints for lighters come in both coated and non coated. Maybe Bic uses the coated flints to keep them from corroding in the lighter.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I believe in more humid climates this is an issue, from what I have heard not so much where it is dryer. Where do you live Rikky?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I believe in more humid climates this is an issue, from what I have heard not so much where it is dryer. Where do you live Rikky?
I live in Kentucky it just taught me a lesson that even something as simple as a lighter may not be usable when stored for a long time. What is funny is I was wondering if the gas would leak out and none showed any sign of the gas leaked out. Why is it that these cheep lighters can keep their gas for years and all of the refillable butane lighters I bought seems to leak over a period of time some within days.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stored an old zippo for five or six years in a box of odds and ends which sat in the garage and eventually my storage shed. I found it one day while going through storage and decided to see if it still worked...I spun the flint wheel with my thumb and got a puff of grey dust. The flint had totally disintegrated...

I have flints that I have stored in their original blister packs for longer than I can remember and they are fine...Why the one in the lighter disintegrated I can't say but it did...It may have been that the lighter being metalic became damp think condensation and electrolisis occured between the flint and the metal surrounding it.

I know for a fact that I have ferrocieum rods with hacksaw blade strikers, that I haven't seen in a while...might not hurt to check on them and make sure they are ok, and come up with some way to keep them together and yet not contacting each other.

I

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.