Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
And a good racket for the state, who comes out way ahead of any winner. Still, wish I was speaking from experience LOL.

Let's say you win the PowerBall at $300 million. Yay! State already did great, collecting $$$ in ticket sales in excess of that. Already made money. Then they offer the following: take your payout over 20 years (which allows them to pay up slowly, from interest earned on holding the bulk and current sales of more tickets) OR take 50% up front and settle for $150 million. State comes out WAY ahead either way. Winner gets screwed either way he goes.

But it's not over: federal taxes on large lottery winnings: up to 37%. State taxes here in Oregon: 8%. $150 million minus 45% in taxes leaves you with what... $82.5 million? This is what you collect. The feds and state get the rest. Win $300 million, expect to get $82.5 million. They'd lock us up for running a game like that.
And when the State uses projected lottery income to set a budget and the lottery fails to reach their wild dreams. There is a budget short fall so of course taxes must be raised.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I sold my Springfield XDs 3" .45 at a LGS in WA state, he entered the serial number, and it came back when & where I bought it - in CA...Then he wondered how I purchased a gun not on Kommiefornia's list ;)

Anyway, they have it all in their system by that info...

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I know here, the ATF would take down every license plate number of vehicles at the gun shows.

They would spend a week or two going through registry data to identify the owners,

then they would run background checks on the owners.

I don't know how many different shows they went to to grab the data.

A good question would have been why?

In this state you need a license of one sort or another to buy a long gun or a handgun even for ammunition.

Never trust those bastards, they will stick it to you every time, even create an entrapment, have seen it happen.

When a NICK's check is done they either define as a rifle or pistol no details are given.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I am sure the FBI, ATF etc all have targets on us..owners of legal firearms..
But, they dont have anything on the people we sold them too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. For during several decades I used to target shoot with a lot of local police officers. They knew my name, they handled my firearms, and I even invited some to a party at my old home several years ago. I've had so many 4473 forms that it was easier to run a check on me than to find my phone number.

Old adage: If they wanted you, you'd be in handcuffs now...
^^This^^

I know and socialize with plenty of cops. I get a full background check every 5 years for my CCW. That includes fingerprints and photos. Not to mention all of the 4473s I've filled out over the years. I'm not in the least worried about my NRA affiliation. Especially because I bitch about Wayne and his cronies every chance I get.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I sold my Springfield XDs 3" .45 at a LGS in WA state, he entered the serial number, and it came back when & where I bought it - in CA...Then he wondered how I purchased a gun not on Kommiefornia's list ;)

Anyway, they have it all in their system by that info...

Peace,
Michael J.
They don't have that information in their system in most of the interior States except IL. I can buy and sell with complete freedom and anonymity if I want (and follow the laws). I believe the majority of States have similar laws.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most employment background checks run on me always come back with at least 1 reference to a guy a year behind me in HS with the same name. I used to get called down to the principals office weekly, only to be sent back to class.

He must have straightened out his druggie past to own all those firearms he bought 30 years ago. :vs_laugh:

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Ever buy a hunting license?? Think about it if you have to.

The info on the guns you buy is now on the front page of the 4473. First thing filled out for easy viewing.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
2 people who I know very well;

One guy worked for me for over 10 years and he had a pistol stolen from his truck in GA. A few years later he moved to Texas and he gets a call from the FBI in Texas that they have his pistol. He claims it and nothing is ever said to him about the who, what, when, why, how...

Another buddy got his car stolen, local LEO recovered his vehicle and returned it to him. None of his belongings were returned, including a firearm. About 6 months later same LEO dept calls him and says they have a firearm whose serial number shows he bought it x years ago from a dealer. He claims it and nothing else is said to him.

Too many crimes/lost/stolen firearms are traced back to form 4473. This is fact.

·
Super Moderator
6,388 Posts
And we the people will get stuck with the bill...just like with Santa...:vs_mad:

(PS Screw Santa. That fat bastard can kiss my ass!...all those damn years Santa got to be the good guy and I was stuck with the damn bill...:vs_mad:)
Not in this house. Mrs Claus saves her tens and twenties literally all the year long with 12/25 in mind. That one blest day can be a killer otherwise.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Ok then explain how a firearm that is never reg any where . Was purchased at a local FFL was traced back to the purchaser . they had the serial number on files attached to the name . The were caught a couple times keeping the records they were not suppose to and said so what. You fell for the story they have it. And can get it in a heart beat.
That is very simple.
If the federales want to know about a specific firearm, say one found at a crime scene, they simply use the serial number, contact the manufacturer and find out exactly to which FFL that gun was shipped.
A local fed goes to that FFL and examines his Bound Book to see where it went from there.
This is too labor intensive to use for just any gun, they won't waste their time. They have better things to do.

There is no national database of who owns what gun.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
That is very simple.
If the federales want to know about a specific firearm, say one found at a crime scene, they simply use the serial number, contact the manufacturer and find out exactly to which FFL that gun was shipped.
A local fed goes to that FFL and examines his Bound Book to see where it went from there.
This is too labor intensive to use for just any gun, they won't waste their time. They have better things to do.

There is no national database of who owns what gun.
When the ATF tracks the point of sale to a gun shop and finds that the weapon was legally sold, that's the end of it for them. That's their only concern.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Nope, negative, on the background check.
Unless you live in a communist state that requires registration of firearms, or a permit to buy one, the only information specific to the gun given to the NCIS is "long gun" or hand gun."

Yes, the serial number, etc is listed on the second page of the 4473, but the only way for law enforcement to see it would be go to every gunshop in the nation and physically look at every 4473 on file.
They would not waste any time on this.
Nope they do. The info is just at the FFL until they close and then pushed forward to the ATF. The can freely get any time that they wish.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
2 people who I know very well;

One guy worked for me for over 10 years and he had a pistol stolen from his truck in GA. A few years later he moved to Texas and he gets a call from the FBI in Texas that they have his pistol. He claims it and nothing is ever said to him about the who, what, when, why, how...

Another buddy got his car stolen, local LEO recovered his vehicle and returned it to him. None of his belongings were returned, including a firearm. About 6 months later same LEO dept calls him and says they have a firearm whose serial number shows he bought it x years ago from a dealer. He claims it and nothing else is said to him.

Too many crimes/lost/stolen firearms are traced back to form 4473. This is fact.
They do what is called a forward trace, the search originates at the manufacturer ends up with the 4473 info.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Big Brother has always known who you are, where you are, and what you are.

Reactions: Michael_Js
21 - 40 of 67 Posts