Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
OK, you asked for comments, so here goes. Keep in mind that this isn't intended as a flame, but to give you some constructive feedback...

The article is a surface skim of information that all experienced gardeners already know, but lacking in the kinds of details inexperienced gardeners would need to actually use the information.

Here's an example... you say, "Cover the plants that are more sensitive to frost and cold weather at night with row covers or even old blankets. Mulching will also help in this area." OK, so how much protection will the row cover provide? 10 degrees, 20? How should I cover the plants with old blankets? Should I use stakes or hoops as mentioned for burlap? It's unclear. How will mulch protect my plants? Inexperienced gardeners won't know that the plants will need to be buried in loose mulch and that any exposed parts will still be killed by frost. What kinds of mulch are good for this? What kinds should be avoided?

That's just one example. I could go on, but I think you get the point. If the article is aimed at new gardeners, they need in depth, step by step instructions, not vague information they can easily find anywhere.

I'm not new to article marketing. It can be a powerful tool if done correctly. Provide detailed instructions and you will get the link-backs that will boost your search ranking and get the traffic you're after. Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Prepadoodle. I appreciate your constructive feedback. I understand you perfectly and it gives me room to expand the article and write on each topic in detail separately referencing the initial article.

Desert Marine

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
I never thought of myself as an experienced gardener but everything you wrote made perfect sense to me. I got my education at the knees of my mother as she maintained a garden big enough to feed family of 5 and put away by canning more food than we would use over the winter. I haven't done any personal gardening in probably 15 years or so. But everything you mentioned seemed pretty straight forward. Just as I would hope that a newbie would find someone wiser and more experienced to help him choose a firearm and learn how to use and maintain it; I would hope a prepper would do the same for gardening or any skill set he/she was lacking. Finding a mentor, even if it is in print, would hopefully prevent a lot of costly mistakes. Having supplies is a big part of being prepared, but having the knowledge and experience to use those supplies is just as necessary. Too many people and some preppers seem to forget about is admitting to oneself that they are all knowledgeable. We are all here to learn form each other. I will be looking forward to any new posts on the subject of gardening. Please keep them coming!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I liked the article, you are limited in specifics by the various climates, and regional soil types.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What I've had trouble finding is what changes having a small non-heated greenhouse makes. I'm getting an 8' X 12' greenhouse. Right now I plan to grow lettuce (hydroponically), onions, radishes and carrots through the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts