Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm living in Northwest Oregon and just getting started on prepping. Don't know what snapped me awake, but I figured it was about time to stop procrastinating about getting prepared for the future and start. I'm open to any advice on the hows to and such. I figure I'm gonna have to bunker down in the suburbs if TEOTWAWKI event happens. Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
"eyes wide open" reminds me of a joke that was told to me by a young lady at a multi-faith conference;

"A catholic priest and a Rabbi were walking down the street when they saw a little girls with a box of kittens. The cats were so young that there eyes hadn't opened yet. The priest taking the opportunity asked the girl if the kittens were Christian and she replied with a wide smile a resounding yes!
A week later the same two men were walking the same block and the same little girl was there with the older but still young kittens. The priest again asked if the cats were Christian and the little girl replied, "No sir, there eyes are open now." "

The young lady who told me the joke was Wiccan. I got a good laugh out of it. Some Christians are like that - blind to anything that they have not been told to believe. True Christians follow the teachings of Christ over all else.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here with us. If per chance you ever figure out what made you snap too please share as it would be interesting to see what it is that makes people finally wake up and pay attention to whats happening around them. At anyrate, hope to see you around and see you often!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fringe it was the news of the SNAP (Food Stamps) card holders clearing out the food shelves in Walmart in just a couple of hours when things went on the blink. I started to think about that happening on a wider scale, not just people living off the Man, but everyday people who are not prepared. How prepared am I? I have to say, not very.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Neighbor! I'm also in NW Oregon, where we can possibly look forward to Columbia Generating Station melting down when the expected "Big One" (earthquake) hits. Other than that....

Anyway, welcome!

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
Fringe it was the news of the SNAP (Food Stamps) card holders clearing out the food shelves in Walmart in just a couple of hours when things went on the blink. I started to think about that happening on a wider scale, not just people living off the Man, but everyday people who are not prepared. How prepared am I? I have to say, not very.
Welcome from Florida.
By your simple statement you show that you are already ahead of tens of millions of Americans.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
900 Posts
North western Oregon? around portland area or further west? I'm your neighbor across the river up here in southwest washington. family in Vancouver.
I think there are many people seeing things like you did and conecting the dots. The more I find out the more I see the need to prepare for something to happen. Maybe not full out WW 3 but even if it is just the country running out of money and not being able to feed everyone dependent on those food stamps we are in trouble as a country. things like that can escallate into bigger and bigger problems for all of us.
The community I work in is a poor one stuck between a couple of major metro areas. Poorer than poor live here and are already stuck in a bad situation without much hope of improving. I have seen so many times with the patient I work with that a little problem, like mom or dad getting sick and unable to work, bringing down a previously "doing ok" family. People have no back up. No money in the bank, no food in the kitchen and no idea what to do if things start getting bad.
People have lost the skills they once had. They don't know how to grow food, don't know how to make their food money stretch by buying food they have to cook them selves, no idea how to cook real food, how to live with just the neccessaties. and not all the THINGS they think are neccessary.
We are a sad bunch of idiots in this country

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well said nurse. I'm in the Portland Metro area. I really believe the masses don't really understand the road this country is headed. Once that day comes I hope to be one of the few who are ready.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Hello from Minnesota

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
D.B.! Man, we've looking all over for you!
Welcome from the South East (SC).

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Welcome from Washington!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts