Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Ok so actually there is more information to add. There are 3 expiration dates. the one listed on your bottle, the one listed on the huge bottle that was used to fill your bottle, and the +1 or so year that was already mentioned . When you get your medication filled you need to ask what the actual expiration is on the original bottle yours was filled with. I found that one of my medications at the pharmacy was over a year longer then what was written on my bottle.

All antibiotics to my knowledge, a year after the pharmacy's expiration will begin to lose its' potency/effectiveness and it begins to break down. This actually makes taking the antibiotic dangerous/harmful.

Most pain killers on other hand that are solid and not capsule are not harmful even a few years after the expiration, but will have reduced potency.

Liquids are the ones that go bad the fastest. I suggest getting a moisture absorber packet and placing this & solid (not capsule) meds in a vacuum sealed bag to prevent moisture or air to increase its' lifespan. Capsules would get crushed using this method.

Note: I do not work in the medical field / not a doctor...

· Registered
367 Posts
According to some studies, 90% of more than 100 drugs were perfect to use even 15 years after expiration. The medicine's expiration date in the USA usually extends from 12 to 60 months. But if you ask me, I don't believe this is reliable information. The drugs must lose their effectiveness anyway.
Antibiotics, cancer meds, liquid pills are but a few of the meds that are actually harmful if used when expired, but other medications like pain killers for example could still be used from what I have read (& tried) but with reduced effectiveness. This does not mean one should take a higher dosage either to reach that same level of effectiveness fyi.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts