Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
myFC PowerTrekk - Fuel Cell Charger

The first article I read on it suggested the price was coming down to $200 (still a lot) but to be able to charge a phone, tablet or maybe a sanyo battery with nothing but water? I like that. Don't get me wrong I like and use solar, but there are times in this frozen tundra we don't get a lot of sun for some time.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It uses salt and water. You are going to have to store salt and water for this device. They call it a fuel cell but don't talk about hot exhaust... fuel cells combine Hydrogen and Oxygen and that creates a lot of heat so it sounds like this is a battery that uses salt and water as electrolyte but it doesn't say anything about consumables........

I'm not convinced. It doesn't make much power - only 20 mA or .020 amps at 5 volts. That is 1 watt but they claim 4 watts at 1.2 amps = 3.3 volts.

It is a bit confusing but without a load it makes 5 volts at .02 amps but at full amperage output of 1.2 amps at 3.3 volts. About the same output that you get from two "D" cell batteries except the batteries will last longer. The unit is only good for 4 hours at peak output.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I spent 30 minutes on their web site, even typed in "how long does the puck last" and of course no answer. That eliminates it. Back to the solar panel.

What the video didn't show was that you need a new puck for each charge and a puck cost $6 dollars so that is $6 dollars per 1500 mha. I think for long term this is a better solution in a long term bug out where weight is the up most importance. It also has a larger storage cell.
Amazon.com: Bushnell Bear Grylls SolarWrap Mini USB Charger: Sports & Outdoors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts