Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm found a couple of Ferro rods that I'm going to use to update my fire starting gear and EDC. The first is an Exotac nano for the key chain and the other an Exotac XL for my gear bag. The nano is good for 1000 strikes and the XL for 3000 strikes. A nice feature with these these is the rod is replaceable.

https://www.exotac.com/nanostriker-xl/

I have several ferro rods and they work and will eventually wind up in my altoids tin mini kits. I also have a couple of the ferro rod magnesium block fire starters and they are great tools but not well suited for EDC or the key ring. Nor are the rods replaceable.

So what do you think

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
The largest ferro rod I have is 3/8". These are for EDC and I'm looking to dress up my EDC gear bit, I've been in the stone age (i.e. ferro on a string) with a lot of my equipment so I'm in the process of updating some items and thought I'd share some of the items I'm updating.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thanks!
The largest ferro rod I have is 3/8". These are for EDC and I'm looking to dress up my EDC gear bit, I've been in the stone age (i.e. ferro on a string) with a lot of my equipment so I'm in the process of updating some items and thought I'd share some of the items I'm updating.
I been doing this for a long time and I don't think you ever stop updating. I seem to always see something a little bit better than what I have. It gets expensive after awhile. In fact I just purchased another fero rod (FireSteel Bunker with Scraper Lanyard and Magnesium). Now that I am single again I don't have to listen to the BS like "what do you need another one for when you haven't used the ones you got", I am sure they wouldn't sell it if they didn't think I needed it. I am thinking of getting a lot of the things that I updated on and giving them to friends who think like we do but doesn't have the extra cash. I probably have thousands of dollars on items such as gen-1 night Vission, GPS units water filters etc. that work but I no longer have a use for.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I been doing this for a long time and I don't think you ever stop updating. I seem to always see something a little bit better than what I have. It gets expensive after awhile. In fact I just purchased another fero rod (FireSteel Bunker with Scraper Lanyard and Magnesium). Now that I am single again I don't have to listen to the BS like "what do you need another one for when you haven't used the ones you got", I am sure they wouldn't sell it if they didn't think I needed it. I am thinking of getting a lot of the things that I updated on and giving them to friends who think like we do but doesn't have the extra cash. I probably have thousands of dollars on items such as gen-1 night Vission, GPS units water filters etc. that work but I no longer have a use for.
I think that is what EBay is for. I had a similar conversation with my wife when she wanted a new car. I said "What you you want a new car for? You have almost an entire fender you haven't smashed yet."

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have a "barter" stash and in there is burried deeper than King Tutts Tomb, 500 disposable lighters.

yes I realize once in your life you will need to make fire outside the box of technology, but for me I'm gonna flick my bic and woooolah.... fire.

Of course I could make a 1 match fire in the woods since I was about 6 years old so I may be dissing you pussies.

Disclaimer: I am drinkng Jack ATM so don't hold it again me.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that is what EBay is for. I had a similar conversation with my wife when she wanted a new car. I said "What you you want a new car for? You have almost an entire fender you haven't smashed yet."
Now thats funny...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since starting this thread I have purchased two of the Exotacs the XL is under the elastic band on the tin pouch of my ESEE 5, and the nano is on my key ring. I also have a Coghlans ferro rod with the knob ground down ranger banded to a modified BK2 sheath...

I'm a recovering smoker so carrying a bic isn't the best thing for me to do at the moment...give me some time to get past the temptation and moments of weakness and I will...lol

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A bunch of good old Coughlan's camp fire magnesium fire starters, a couple in the package so they wont degrade then in a small a bob in each vehicle with an old meds bottles stuffed with greased cotton and believe it or not some cheep stale taterchips they are so greasy they would go up in a minute!!pick your flavor...bbq is always a good smell.and a bunch of disposabe lighters,and book matches in a baggie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts