Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.

I have a best buy GC that I don't want to waste on electronics, but would rather buy outdoor gear, and there is an item they have that the outdoor store sells for about 20 bucks more when not on sale, how bad of a human would I be for doing this?

·
Registered
640 Posts
When you return it, they should ask for the original receipt... or check your purchase in the computer. If they fail to do this... they have set themselves up for this type of activity. I don't say this to say you are right... only that if this act is possible, the store has created the problem for themselves since many people are not very ethical.

So... your real question is: Can you justify what you are doing in your own mind? Obviously, you could take the GC to the second store and use it's face value. Instead, you are using the system to get free money. Someone has to absorb that loss. Usually... it's not the store. They just jack up prices to account for loss. If loss increases... they jack up prices again. So... you are actually spreading the cost of your advantage to the rest of the shoppers at that store.

Back to the real question: Can you live with that?

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
When you return it, they should ask for the original receipt... or check your purchase in the computer. If they fail to do this... they have set themselves up for this type of activity. I don't say this to say you are right... only that if this act is possible, the store has created the problem for themselves since many people are not very ethical.
Actually best buy will not return it without the original rec't or being able to look it up on the computer. When I didn't have the rec't they were able to find my purchase and exchange it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not returning it to best buy, the problem is I have money to best buy that I will never use, i hate that store, electronics don't have a large place in my preps. I don't feel good doing it but I don't want to waste 60 bucks there on something I don't give a crap about. At least this way the other store is still getting a product that they can sell at their normal price and i will spend my money in their store (probably spending more then just the cards value)...I dunno, i won't feel good doing it but I'd feel worse letting the gc go unused, and I have tried selling it for a discount to people....

Reactions: preppermama

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ah... so this wasn't deliberately devious? If not... then spend it as you wish with a clear conscious.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
sell it on craigslist @75%.
or re-gift it to some one for xmas
dont they have ham radios and trail gps shit? they got a lot of shit. buy xmas gifts for other people.
get them back up key chain fob deals back yer shit up and keep it in yer bob...

the most important relationship you have is with integrity. never let something small stand between you and and everything yer meant to be.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.?
If you have to ask this question, you have other problems. How unethical, is like asking how much is a little pregnant. As a mod do you tolerate unethical behavior on the board? Would you tolerate unethical behavior in your survival group? Do you get upset at your Congressman for their unethical behavior? By Rationalizing any behavior, you can become a monster quickly. Best not to go that route.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
So how unethical is it to buy something on sale at one place with a GC and then return it for more store credit at a different store when you know that they have things you actually want.

I have a best buy GC that I don't want to waste on electronics, but would rather buy outdoor gear, and there is an item they have that the outdoor store sells for about 20 bucks more when not on sale, how bad of a human would I be for doing this?
It's not unethical, its Retail Fraud and Illegal. Glad to see this forum is sponsoring illegal activity. Bye.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shotlady i like your ideas, I'll just blow it on other gifts for family, I'm sure somebody will ask for something I can get there, thanks!

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
103 Posts
theres websites that sell gift cards. that would be the best route.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't see the problem here. Best Buy is getting their money, the other store is getting a product that they sell for more than Best Buy! and I'm sure they will have no problem selling it for more, and you were getting what you want. nobody is actually losing here. Best Buy gets theirs, you get yours, and the other store will still sell the product and make their money back. . . I say do it! judge as you all may but I see no problem here whatsoever!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Aw guys come on, it's a discussion and acid was just asking a question. Don't go all hellfire and brimstone just yet, he's just asking a question.

Whatever the question might be, the entire idea of a message forums is to engage in information sharing and debate. Yes, fraud of any kind is illegal I think, what is provable and profitable to the powers that be is another story. Wal mart doesn't even try and stop people who take something under 30 bucks now? I mean let's step back here and look at the idea. No, I don't agree with acid. Me? I would have been more of the line of thought for something like an outright sale of the card or a trade for cash BUT let's play devil's advocate for the moment. Times are hard and only getting tougher for preppers. I'm sorry but my loyalties do NOT lie with corporate America or any of the big box stores for that matter. These are soulless, godless, brainless organizations who treat people badly and profit hand over fist on anything they touch. To be honest, if the stuff ever does hit the fan these organizations are my first thoughts to hit for supplies. Then again others will have the same idea. I don't know if this was the best or most tasteful question to post, but it's a valid question just the same. I don't feel that by asking the question that acid was necessarily advocating it. As you pointed out- we do not advocate any illegal activity. Just my 2 cents in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.