1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) —
Header::Leader
The emergency room doctor who pronounced George Floyd dead after trying to resuscitate him testified Monday that he theorized at the time that Floyd's heart most likely stopped because he didn't get enough oxygen.

April 05, 2021
Dr. Bradford Langenfeld, who was a senior resident on duty that night at Hennepin County Medical Center, took the stand at the beginning of Week Two at former Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin’s murder trial, as prosecutors sought to establish that it was Chauvin’s knee on the Black man’s neck that killed him.

Langenfeld said Floyd’s heart had stopped by the time he arrived at the hospital. The doctor said that he was not told of any efforts at the scene by bystanders or police to resuscitate Floyd but that paramedics told him they had tried for about 30 minutes.

Under questioning by prosecutor Jerry Blackwell, Langenfeld said that based on the information he had, death by asphyxiation was “more likely than the other possibilities.” Chauvin, 45, is charged with murder and manslaughter in Floyd's death May 25. The white officer is accused of pinning his knee on the 46-year-old man's neck for 9 minutes, 29 seconds, as Floyd lay face-down in handcuffs outside a corner market, where had been accused of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill for a pack of cigarettes.

The defense argues that Chauvin did what he was trained to do and that Floyd's use of illegal drugs and his underlying health conditions caused his death. Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson questioned Langenfeld about whether some drugs can cause hypoxia, or insufficient oxygen. The doctor acknowledged that fentanyl and methamphetamine, both of which were found in Floyd's body, can do so.

The county medical examiner's office ultimately classified Floyd's death a homicide — that is, a death at the hands of someone else. The full report said Floyd died of “cardiopulmonary arrest, complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression.” A summary report listed fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use under “other significant conditions” but not under “cause of death.”

Under cross-examination from Nelson, Langenfeld said Floyd’s carbon dioxide levels were more than twice has high as levels in healthy person, and he agreed that that could be attributed to a respiratory problem. But on questioning from the prosecutor, the doctor said the high levels were also consistent with cardiac arrest — the stopping of the heart.

Langenfeld also testified that neither he nor paramedics administered a drug that would reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. The doctor said giving Narcan once a patient is in cardiac arrest would provide no benefit.

Floyd's treatment by police was captured on widely seen bystander video that sparked protests that rocked Minneapolis and quickly spread to other U.S. cities and beyond and descended into violence in some cases.

Langenfeld said that “any amount of time” a patient spends in cardiac arrest without immediate CPR decreases the chance of a good outcome. He said there is an approximately 10% to 15% decrease in survival for every minute that CPR is not administered.

Prosecutors in the second week of the trial are also expected to zero in on Chauvin’s training in the use of force. Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo was expected to testify Monday. Arradondo, the city's first Black chief, fired Chauvin and three other officers the day after Floyd's death, and in June called it “murder.”

“Mr. George Floyd's tragic death was not due to a lack of training — the training was there,” Arradondo said then. “Chauvin knew what he was doing.” The city moved soon after Floyd's death to ban police chokeholds and neck restraints. Arradondo and Mayor Jacob Frey also made several policy changes, including expanding requirements for reporting use-of-force incidents and documenting attempts to de-escalate situations.

Prosecutors have already called supervisory officers to build the case that Chauvin improperly restrained Floyd. A duty sergeant and a lieutenant who leads the homicide division both questioned Chauvin's actions in pinning Floyd to the ground.

“Totally unnecessary,” Lt. Richard Zimmerman, the longest-tenured officer on the force, testified Friday. He said once Floyd was handcuffed, he saw “no reason for why the officers felt they were in danger, if that’s what they felt, and that’s what they would have to feel to be able to use that kind of force."

Find AP’s full coverage of the death of George Floyd at: Death of George Floyd

Subjects General news, Violent crime, Crime, Legal proceedings People Derek Chauvin, Rick Nelson, George Floyd Locations Minnesota, United States, North America, Minneapolis

NOTE:::This report has painted a damning thumbnail of the cops. And I think that the cop who is on trial is in deep doo doo.

Reactions: Denton

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
The medical examiner could find no evidence of trauma to the neck, noting:
"No injuries of anterior muscles of neck or laryngeal structures"
"No chest wall soft tissue injuries, rib fractures (other than a single rib fracture from CPR), vertebral column injuries, or visceral injuries"
"Incision and subcutaneous dissection of posterior and lateral neck, shoulders, back, flanks, and buttocks negative for occult trauma"
"The neck is straight, and the trachea is midline."
"Layer by layer dissection of the anterior strap muscles of the neck discloses no areas of contusion or hemorrhage within the musculature. The thyroid cartilage and hyoid bone are intact. The larynx is lined by intact mucosa. The thyroid is symmetric and red-brown, without cystic or nodular change. The tongue is free of bite marks, hemorrhage, or other injuries. The cervical spinal column is palpably stable and free of hemorrhage."
(source: https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hen...lic-safety/documents/floyd-autopsy-6-3-20.pdf)

No evidence was found that would indicate sufficient pressure was applied to Mr. Floyd's neck to cause him to asphyxiate.

I don't yet see any evidence provided in the case that would lead to a murder conviction by a reasonable jury.
He could get manslaughter if they think it will spare them the wrath of the mob... but it won't.
Riots incoming, despite the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
9,314 Posts
Agreed.. once a person is controlled the need for restraint like that is done. Drug addicted or not.. once cuffs are on get him in vehicle
Did you see the bodycam footage?
They did get him in, and were more than cordial to his distress, saying they would lower a window and stay with him.
He would not cooperate, and was eventually pulled from the vehicle out the other side, and taken to the ground.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
He would not cooperate, and was eventually pulled from the vehicle out the other side, and taken to the ground.
Was he taken to the ground or is that where he ended up after struggling?

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I've said it since this hit the news; there's no way I would have ever done that to someone who is cuffed and on the ground. Chauvin deserves time behind bars.
IMO, when you deal with people every single day you are at work, that hate you, spit on you, taunt you and resist you, it's easier to treat them harsher. I think it's human nature.

I've said for the last 40 years, I'd be in prison for 1st degree murder within a month if I was a cop.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
IMO, when you deal with people every single day you are at work, that hate you, spit on you, taunt you and resist you, it's easier to treat them harsher. I think it's human nature.

I've said for the last 40 years, I'd be in prison for 1st degree murder within a month if I was a cop.
You are correct. It's easy to lose compassion when everyday you deal with people at their worst. The last L.E./C.J. stint I did was as a correctional officer at a state prison. I couldn't believe how many officers were bullies.

Regardless, the officer is responsible for the person once the person is cuffed and in custody.
Other officers milled about while Chauvin had is knee on Floyd's neck. Why weren't they installing leg restraints?

All the videos should be compiled and made into a training aid in police academy.

·
Super Moderator
9,314 Posts
Was he taken to the ground or is that where he ended up after struggling?
From the body cam footage, it is taken from the perspective of the officers that placed Floyd into the backseat of their SUV on the driver side.
After he refused to calm down and would not get fully into the vehicle, other officers opened the passenger side rear door and attempted to pull him all the way in.
From this point, he eventually ends up on the ground being pulled out of the passenger side, but the view from the body cam is still from the driver side.
I will need to go back and check it because my memory is fuzzy on whether the body cam'd officer made it around to the passenger side before or after Floyd was on the ground.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The guy was on drugs and clearly distraught in the body cam vid. They are instructed to kneel on someone in cases needing extreme containment. I don't know if it was right or wrong but the body cam footage shows respectful cops doing what they are trained to do. I do not know if it was right. I do know that it likely had nothing to do with Floyds skin. The officers already had brutality complaints although I don't see brutality here. I see an over reaction if anything. Floyd died later in the hospital, not on the street as they want us to believe.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
........ Floyd died later in the hospital, not on the street as they want us to believe.
Dying at the hospital and being declared dead at the hospital are two different things. He could well have been dead before Chauvin's knee came off him.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dying at the hospital and being declared dead at the hospital are two different things. He could well have been dead before Chauvin's knee came off him.
That's true, although from my understanding he did die in the hospital. Like I said, I don't think it was right, but I think they did what they were trained to do. Was it necessary? It's hard to tell from the footage. It is sad that this man is dead, but he is not the saint he was made to be. He shouldn't have died that day from anything other than an overdose, it would be best if he were still alive.

·
Super Moderator
9,314 Posts
Here's the body cam footage I was referencing: (unedited)

Around the 8:00 mark, it appears Floyd pushes himself backwards out of the vehicle, and begins to ask to lay on the ground.
The officers begin to restrain him, and he repeatedly attempts to kick.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Can you point out the timestamp of the officer's body cam footage?
I don't see a frame of it.
It may have been edited out for the making of the posted video. Time stamps from multiple sources usually don't mean much anyway since they're not synchronized.

·
Super Moderator
9,314 Posts
It may have been edited out for the making of the posted video. Time stamps from multiple sources usually don't mean much anyway since they're not synchronized.
I wasn't concerned with timestamps. I referenced the officer's body cam which shows the interaction at the officer's vehicle.
The video you provided does not present this body cam footage.
I've provided it above for reference.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I’ve been in a lot of fights, in the ring and out.

One could argue that I was fighting for my life.

Not once have I ever kept my knee on the neck of a man that was unconscious. Much less if he was handcuffed. Good lord.....

I would consider that intent to kill. Several people telling you that he’s dying......check his pulse... Jesus.....

If I was on the jury several doctors would need to agree that Mr. Floyd died of drugs and the knee didn’t contribute to his death. Otherwise I would convict the police officer of some type of manslaughter or murder.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts