Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a gun show this last weekend, a dealer had the EOTech sights for sale. Expensive, but I could tell a difference when looking through it instead of any "red dot" sight. Has anyone had any experience or reviews of the EOTech 556?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My uncle has one on his ar15, it has the magnifier in the back. Since he's put it on he's dead on with shooting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are some of the best sights that are made out there. Police and military use them quite a bit. I personally haven't used any, but I've seen good reviews and friends also say so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently purchase the Optics Planet, OPMOD EOtech MPO II EXPS3-0 Holosight with G23 3X Magnifier. Great package setup. I put it on my M4 went to the range to sight it in... I could not believe it! It was dead on at about 100 yards.
It's a bit pricey but well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have a couple of them some models have night vision capability. I like the ones that uses regular AA batteries, probably the quickest on target sight, but like all dot scopes they do not have any power magnification unless you use a 3x magnifier behind one. They are my second preferred site after an ACOG but unlike a ACOG some are night vision capable. I don't remember all the difference in models but get one with the button on the side so you can use a 3x magnifier or maybe a night vision scope like a PVS-14 behind it, The models that use the lithium CR123 batteries are shorter and have a greater depth under water rating ( I believe 60 feet vs 30 for the AA models) but AA batteries are cheaper and easier to find. Some will tell you that lithium batteries are better because they have a 20 year storage, lighter and will work much better at lower temperatures, But the AA battery models will also use the 3v AA lithium batteries. Since these are scopes that are used in the military they had to pass very stringent test (one of the first thing I look for is if an item has been accepted by our military ). Unlike other dot scopes the holographic sight when looking through it project a reticle that appears to be floating a few feet in front of the site and if you get mud are dirt on the lens, as long as there is any spot you can see through it will work perfectly well. Probably the only con is that your aimpoint sights have a much longer battery life.

PS: If you buy a AA battery model get some 3v AA lithium batteries to store or use in very cold weather
If you buy a CR123 battery model get some CR123 rechargeable batteries

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The EOTech 556 is a good effect system a pain to work with gloves on, I have bet my life on the M68 so I have a special fondness for it.
Acog is out standing it also cost more than the weapon. Only down side maybe closer than 100 meters at that range you can hit a target with anything IMO
AR platforms are short to mid range riles than can and do make the long 600 meter shot in the right hands. 0-200 meters average reflex sites like the red dot will work very well for fast target strikes. The higher end ones may get you out to 400 meters. If you want to make hits at the longer end you need a good scope. At 600 meters with iron the site post is larger than the target. And your reflex sites are outside their limit's. I know it can be done seen many a dedicated marksman do it. But they are also well trained shooters that have worked with a master gunner and are not you average gunner. Putting a good scope or site on a good rifle does not make you a great shot you need to learn to use the equipment .
My MARS is good to 400 meters you will not put holes in holes but you will hit a man size target advantage is speed . But you need good eye site they do not magnify . With the IR laser at night it can do better in the right hands.
But shooting with IR on take some range time. On a budget?? look at this one Vortex Strikefire:120-170 bucks Aimpoint
So many tools out there find what works for you and leaner it

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There a fairly good sight IMO. I don't love there design layout either, but mostly there battery life compared to Aimpoints. When you're in situation where getting batteries isn't problem great, but I think there a poor choice for the prepper who probably won't have a ton of batteries at their disposal at some point. Aimpoint battery life can last years. Trijicon's can last a decade, which is nice, but than it's done without new tritium or using an alternative source like a glowstick taped on top. All optics can go down for various reasons, which is why you should alway have good irons too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've used EOTechs for years, and they're behind only Trijicon's ACOG as my favorite sight. Battery life isn't great, but the optic is easier to use and the reticule far easier to acquire than Aimpoint. Bit of advise though, get one of the models that has the battery mounted crossways from the rest of the weapon. Those seem to stay on better/last longer.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
@ Fuzzee
Quote: Trijicon's can last a decade, which is nice, but than it's done without new tritium or using an alternative source like a glowstick taped on top. All optics can go down for various reasons, which is why you should alway have good irons too.

The Trijicon's tritium in Acog's is only used in extreme darkness, even without the tritium and the light fiber optic on top they would work a regular scope and still have some light gathering ability to make them usable in the same light that iron sights could be used.

@ Alpha-17
Quote: Bit of advise though, get one of the models that has the battery mounted crossways from the rest of the weapon. Those seem to stay on better/last longer.
If you use 1.5 lithium AA batteries they will work just like the side mounted battery using a CR123a battery.

Edit: I just compared the 1.5 volt AA lithium batteries against the CR123a lithium and two 1.5 Volt lithium batteries would give 3v at 3000 mah = 9 whr and a single CR123a would give 3v at 1500 mah = 4.5 whr So the 2 AA lithium should last twice as long and the CR123.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
@ Fuzzee
Quote: Trijicon's can last a decade, which is nice, but than it's done without new tritium or using an alternative source like a glowstick taped on top. All optics can go down for various reasons, which is why you should alway have good irons too.

The Trijicon's tritium in Acog's is only used in extreme darkness, even without the tritium and the light fiber optic on top they would work a regular scope and still have some light gathering ability to make them usable in the same light that iron sights could be used.

@ Alpha-17
Quote: Bit of advise though, get one of the models that has the battery mounted crossways from the rest of the weapon. Those seem to stay on better/last longer.
If you use 3v lithium AA batteries they will work just like the side mounted battery using a CR123a battery.
Yes but we are talking about illuminated optics, and them staying illuminated aren't we. I was anyways. All good and well, if a person isn't concerned about it as much than there are a whole number of illuminated scopes out there also that will still provide a reticle sight picture with fair light gathering ability besides once the batteries are dead. It all comes down to what a person likes and wants.

;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts