Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else worry about this? I've been reading up on it and it seems that this can happen with a solar ejection, an explosion in the atmosphere, or some type of electronic pulse to wipe out communications.

I also found out that the way to prevent this is to put your stuff in aluminum foil. I guess this is where people got those ideas for the tin hats right?

I'm putting my electronics in faraday cages, (mainly a room that has aluminum foil on the ceiling). Does anyone think this would work or am i being paranoid?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I saw a video on Youtube that made me think about an ejection or something along those lines a little more seriously. It also brought up the point of aircraft dropping from the sky like giant bombs because of the electronics on them. Not that really has anything to do with your questions, but I thought it was interesting and probably overlooked. With how hot jet fuel burns, if it hits near where you are you better have a way to fight fire! Extinguishers galore!

I haven't looked into EMP proofing a room, but Hell it's worth a try to throw some foil in a crate with walkie talkies GPS (government will work fast to restore GPS the quickest IMO because much of their tracking/targeting items work off of this) and a laptop.
I can get these plastic crates from work that I will probably line one up with just in case this could work....

Good post my friend, good questions to ponder.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have read that aluminum foil will work but can't know for sure. Regardless, it it a cheap and easy precaution that would really pay off if tshtf! I don't think people realize or just don't want to think about how bad things could get if we had an EMP event and the entire grid went down :!:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think it is paranoid at all. The last major one was in 1859. It is predicted that these occur every 100 ears. Again, we are overdue for yet another disaster. In the condition our infrastructure is in, it could take years to repair, if it could even be repaired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, your not being paranoid - an EMP is a very real threat be it Natural or Man-Made. I would rather have a contingency for it then completely blow it off.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It could also be a godsend. A catastrophic even that does SIGNIFICANT damage to our infrastructure could be like what WWII was to the great depression. It could bring back some manufacturing jobs to rebuild all the damages that it causes. Could kill this depression (and thousands of people too unfortunately) there is always a silver lining in everything.

Sometimes you have to burn off weeds to let the green grass grow through!

·
Registered
84 Posts
A really good book "One Second After" by Williiam Forstchen, although fiction, really shows just how bad things could get. I highly recommend this to anyone trying to prepare for such an event.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As an alternative to wrapping a radio in foil, we could store it in an old microwave for protection, then after an EMP pulse we can get it out and listen to news broadcasts while everybody else with blown-out radios and TV's are left wondering what's going on..;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
An emp event that was large due to either the sun flares or an emp bomb device would cause some disruption in our electrical grid. If large enough, it could take down the entire grid. To prevent it from damaging some of your elec componants, you need to put them in a metal box. They also have to be insulated from touching the sides of the box and the box needs to be grounded via a solid heavy copper wire to a water pipe or solid 1/2" copper ground rod. Just putting alum foil on the ceiling will not prevent anything from happening to your elec. things.

You need to google Electrical Magnetic Pulse and see what you think about preventing it now. It is of great concern to our dead beat congress as they did a survey a few years ago and was told if this were to happen it could literally bring our entire country down on its knees within minutes or so. Everything requiring computers etc would come to a halt. True or not, can't hurt to be prepared for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts