Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried out the EMP shield products? I am working on a van right now and wondering about installing one on it before selling it. Does anyone know how much a mechanic shop would charge to install one? Or do you have any experience installing your own? Thank for any advice or suggestions regarding EMP protection of vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
The only product I've looked at was a metallic mesh that is used when the car is parked. It's basically a car cover that's large enough to touch the ground, which is supposed to be the most important part, to allow the discharge to go somewhere and around the car itself.

I've not looked into anything concerning shielding internal parts. I'd be interested in seeing what kinds of solutions there are, and whether they are dynamic enough to work on the majority of vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Read up on Starfish Prime. Below is some info from it regarding vehicles exposed to an man made EMP.

Many of the effects of nuclear EMP are very difficult to predict on the 21st century United States. Many vehicles that one would expect to be disabled by an EMP due to their dependence on sensitive electronics might be shielded well enough to continue to operate. Automotive electronic ignition systems in general are much better shielded and protected against EMP than other electronics. (After all, the purpose of an electronic ignition is to make high-voltage sparks.) Circuits in the automobile outside of the electronic ignition are actually the most vulnerable. Actual tests on vehicles in simulators have been very inconsistent. Even if only ten percent of the automobiles on the highways during the day were abruptly disabled, the resultant traffic jams would be nearly incomprehensible. (Having ten percent of the cars suddenly disabled might actually be more chaotic than having nearly all of them suddenly disabled.) Of course, there is no practical way to do a real nuclear EMP test. Even a nuclear test in space over the Pacific would likely do billions of dollars in damage to today's electrical and electronic infrastructure in the Pacific region. Tests done on 37 vehicles (that used electronic ignition systems) by the United States EMP Commission showed that all of the tested cars would still run after a simulated EMP, although most sustained some (mostly nuisance) electronic damage. Only about one in every ten million civilian automobiles and light trucks in use today have been tested in an EMP simulator. That is a very tiny sample size. Many cars that would run after an actual EMP would probably have to be started in an unconventional manner (such as temporarily jumpering wires under the hood) due to damage of control circuits.

·
Administrator
15,266 Posts
Vehicles today have not one computer, but a number of interconnected modules.
The body control module on my GMC pickup failed.
Nothing electrical inside the cab would work - from the gauges to the headlights. No big deal, right?
Nope, big deal because the anti theft feature would not let the engine start, either.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I am fairly ignorant on the subject but my understanding is the only 100% EMP proof vehicle would have a alternator, distributor, points and a condenser instead of a electric box to produce the current.
When I bought my 95 F150 I looked for a old school ignition system. Not much luck.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
I am fairly ignorant on the subject but my understanding is the only 100% EMP proof vehicle would have a alternator, distributor, points and a condenser instead of a electric box to produce the current.
When I bought my 95 F150 I looked for a old school ignition system. Not much luck.
If it has an electric fuel pump, an EMP could make it dead in the water too.
The most modern pickup I know of that should be EMP proof (with respect to necessary functions) from the factory was the '97/'98 Dodge Ram 12v Cummins. It uses a mechanical fuel pump. In the later part of '98, they switched to the 24v Cummins with an electric fuel pump.
My unicorn would be to find a good condition early model '98 Ram with that 12 valve, or rebuild a worn out one. They can use biodiesel too.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ahhhhh yes. The electronic fuel pump.
Detroit’s gift to the shade tree mechanic. Let’s move the mechanical bolt on fuel pump to a electric model hidden inside the fuel cell.
I remember the first one of those I heard of. I said the fuel pump is where !

BoF

·
Administrator
15,266 Posts
My 88 F-150 is a 302 V8, so I can “uncomputerize “ it easily using earlier parts.
I did it to the wife’s 84 Bronco when the ignition switch shorted and took the computer out. It was a 300 straight six so a trip to the junkyard got me a points distributor and a carburetor. It already had a mechanical fuel pump.

All these modern vehicles with their whiz bang options run better than 1960’s technology, but when one sensor goes down, that’s it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just an FYI on the alternator. It uses multiple coils feeding 6 diodes. These diodes fail. You could store replacement diodes. They are a bit of a PITA to install, not a side of the road project. I keep a alternator, point distributor and coil in a faraday style container.

Reactions: AzprepperGary

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
I wouldn't ne too concerned about the electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank, as long as the tank is metal, assuming the tank itself would act as the shield. Inaddition, from everything I've read, EMPs usually affect sub miniture electronics like chips and such.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I really just don't have a place I could park it anymore after moving. So, I am planning on selling it now unfortunately.
So I will retierate the question: Why are you wanting to sink money into it if you're just going to turn around and sell it? Especially with such a specialized, high-$ modification that has an extremely narrow market?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts