Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I called EMP Shield with some questions, and they told me that E1 (the worst of it) will not destroy diodes in solar panels, and that solar panels do not require EMP protection. I don’t know my stuff on this, I’m just telling you what I was told by EMP Shield (and I hung up the phone with them happy that I wouldn’t need to make room for huge solar panels in a faraday cage if they are not in use). They also mention how solar panels are not a concern for E1 in this interview…

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,025 Posts
I called EMP Shield with some questions, and they told me that E1 (the worst of it) will not destroy diodes in solar panels, and that solar panels do not require EMP protection. I don’t know my stuff on this, I’m just telling you what I was told by EMP Shield (and I hung up the phone with them happy that I wouldn’t need to make room for huge solar panels in a faraday cage if they are not in use). They also mention how solar panels are not a concern for E1 in this interview…

I'm glad they're confident in their answers, though I question how they could actually know.
The panels might be fine, and the diodes might survive... but what are you connecting them to?
If we get an E1 pulse, anything with a microcontroller risks being completely fried.
Charge controller? Dead.
Inverter? Dead.
Any common household appliance? Dead.
If you hope of having anything to run on those panels, you might as well go with a room-sized Faraday cage. At that point, I'd ensure those panels are stored inside it, just to be safe.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm glad they're confident in their answers, though I question how they could actually know.
The panels might be fine, and the diodes might survive... but what are you connecting them to?
If we get an E1 pulse, anything with a microcontroller risks being completely fried.
Charge controller? Dead.
Inverter? Dead.
Any common household appliance? Dead.
If you hope of having anything to run on those panels, you might as well go with a room-sized Faraday cage. At that point, I'd ensure those panels are stored inside it, just to be safe.
Yeah the guy said inverter and charge controller and batteries would be ruined ‘If not connected with EMP Shield in the circuit’…but solar panels are fine even if stashed away in my closet. I’m definitely not the guy to ask how that works, but in the interview it sounds like the over voltage/current gets grounded with the Shield even faster than how fast E1 takes place. I’m a total novice but my rookie questions would be isn’t it the current that causes heat? And if so, E1 is SO fast that it might just “Appear” to melt everything instantly, but if EMP Shield grounds everything even faster than the E1 wouldn’t the heat never build up in the first place to melt anything? I watched this video where a guy was claiming that these protection devices are bogus because everything sort of “Gets melted instantly” but that question popped into my head (that technically none of it happens instantly). It would be nice to watch a technical debate on this between two people who know there stuff, although I would think that one of them would be mistaken because the mechanics of electrical engineering isn’t exactly a subject that’s up for debate like philosophy is lol.

Btw he said that the EMP Shield goes after the wires from panels and before the charge controller.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Yeah the guy said inverter and charge controller and batteries would be ruined ‘If not connected with EMP Shield in the circuit’…but solar panels are fine even if stashed away in my closet. I’m definitely not the guy to ask how that works, but in the interview it sounds like the over voltage/current gets grounded with the Shield even faster than how fast E1 takes place. I’m a total novice but my rookie questions would be isn’t it the current that causes heat? And if so, E1 is SO fast that it might just “Appear” to melt everything instantly, but if EMP Shield grounds everything even faster than the E1 wouldn’t the heat never build up in the first place to melt anything? I watched this video where a guy was claiming that these protection devices are bogus because everything sort of “Gets melted instantly” but that question popped into my head (that technically none of it happens instantly). It would be nice to watch a technical debate on this between two people who know there stuff, although I would think that one of them would be mistaken because the mechanics of electrical engineering isn’t exactly a subject that’s up for debate like philosophy is lol.

Btw he said that the EMP Shield goes after the wires from panels and before the charge controller.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't trust anyone who gives you absolute answers. There are no absolute answers here. Good guesses maybe but that's it. This is unknown territory here along with too many variables. No one has experience in this department because we have yet to really experience one. The closest anyone has come was the bomb detonated over the Pacific in the 60's that took out power in Hawaii. So much has changed since then and it's never been tried again. Here is an article about this from 2019.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts