Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
They didn't have the safe I wanted at the Cabelas in town, yet they list them, so I called Cabelas online customer service number and was told they had gone through their allotment of that style of safe and wouldn't be getting any more in until next year...Wow!

So I called the local store and asked why that was, they said they'd contact liberty and get back with me...which they did. Long story short they put the safe on a PO and it'll be here in 6-8 weeks...I'm so stoked that somebody actually took the time to help me out, and that I can upgrading to exactly the safe I want...kudus to Cabelas...

Infidel,
I agree 1000% it's a learning experience and I have the crib notes to prove it...lol
Congrats on the safe and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Liberty makes a nice well built safe. Glad to hear Cabela's took good care of you, I've dealt with them for years online and all my purchases from them have been flawless, even going so far as to replace a set of Midland 2 way radios a year after purchase when I had an issue with one of the radios. Just a great company to deal with IMO. I wish I had a Cabela's store locally, the nearest one is probably 2 1/2 hrs from me.

-Infidel

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The only reason to have a gun safe is to keep your guns from being accessible. If you are affraid of theft then install a good alarm system. It costs less and is more effective. Besides, you can get to your gun if you need it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Detering theft is half of it, fire protection is the other half. A good alarm system that alerts police or the fire department would be a plus.

Everyones situation is a bit different, some can simply keep a gun or two out of the safe and accessable, while others may not be able to. Which may partly explain why I vew quick access as largely unnecessary. For others it may be necessary.

A gun safe is only going to slow down a determined thief. Given enough time and the right tools and they will gain access. So when you buy a safe what is it that are you really buying...time...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Homie already knows. the weal points of low cost safes.
If key pad fails on ours the dial comes off and a key can be used.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought mine when my little girl began walking and getting into stuff. At that time I was keeping all my guns in the closet.

I kept putting it off because for the price of the safe I could buy 1.5 guns. Best buy I ever made :)

Now that she's 8 she has her own shelve in the safe, she has yet to remember the combo but I do let her open it by her self when she needs her stuff.

Reactions: Infidel

·
Registered
855 Posts
The only reason to have a gun safe is to keep your guns from being accessible. If you are affraid of theft then install a good alarm system. It costs less and is more effective. Besides, you can get to your gun if you need it.
First of all an alarm system is a great idea as a supplement to the safe, I'll give you that. That being said what's the Police response time in your neck of the woods, here it could be 15 minutes before you see the first cruiser (in the grand scheme of things that's not a bad response time compared to those that live in very rural areas) all those guns could be gone before the first cop walks through the door. Especially if the bad guys know you have them. Not to mention criminal and civil liability in certain areas if firearms aren't secured and are used in crimes. The NY SAFE Act mandates safe storage in certain situations, for some a safe is insurance against criminal liability. Protection from fire is a concern for some also especially those with valuable collections. For me the safe was specifically to protect my firearms and important items from theft and fire. I also have kids and while my kids won't touch my guns without permission I can not say the same for their friends, it's important to me to keep other people's kids away from my guns, this is our responsibility as gun owners. Important documents can be stored in the safe also as well as other valuables. I really don't see where anyone could argue the value of a safe. If accessibility to a firearm is a concern for you you should probably carry one 24/7, in all actuality if you need one in a hurry it would be much better to have it on you anyway.

-Infidel

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have young Grandchildren that are here often, if the weapon is not on a person it is secured one way of another. Those not is use are in a vault.

Reactions: Infidel and Seneca

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Everybodys situation is different. My situation is such that, there are times when I can leave firearms out and accessable and other times I need to put them away. I see nothing wrong with the peace of mind that comes with having a good quality gun safe. I may not be sold on the merits of an Elock...I am completely sold on the idea of having a gun safe...

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple of months ago, I worked with a neighboring fire department on a residential fire that destroyed the home. During salvage operations a safe containing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of savings bonds, guns, cash, and other personal belongings was removed from the burned structure. The manual lock still worked, and all items and fire arms were undamaged. A safe is more than just security from theft.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.