Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what happens to the electronic (key pad) lock on a gun safe if it gets hit with an EMP? Quits working? I bet it does Could you imagine the SHTF and your guns are unavailable, because the key pad is fried...lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Super point, my bolted to the floor gun safe is a simple "Liberty" dial model with a 1/4" plate door. It is a pain in the ass for quick access, but always functions.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have all my safes (X3) installed with key locks! Never go wrong and don't require a little light to see the numbers! Just keep your keys handy!

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Sentry Safe has the electronic key pad, but also came with a couple of keys that can be used if the key pad malfunctions.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Cannon Safe Co just came out with their new EMP safe lock. Dual Access EMP Lock | Cannon Safe it features an electronic key pad for quick access and a built in dial lock as a backup in case of an EMP. Looks like it would be a good idea but it's probably pretty expensive. I don't know if it's available as an upgrade for existing safes or if it's only available on new safes.

Edited to add: My Liberty Fatboy Jr came with a dial lock which was part of the reason I chose it. An EMP was not my first concern, I think the dial will hold up better in a fire also although I have no proof of that. It does not allow for quick access but has a day lock built into it in case you want to keep the safe unlocked while your home.

-Infidel

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with a set of keys floating around...seems it would defeat the purpose of having an electronic key pad. Why a key pad when you have a key????

I'm (if you haven't guessed) knee deep in researching gun safes. I'm being thorough because it's a lot of money to spend and it's going to be around a while.

As you can tell...I really question the value of having an electronic key pad. From a preppers perspective, EMP aside, it also means that I would have to be tied to a power source (batteries), which isn't a deal breaker. Yet having batteries around because they are nice to have is a lot different than having them around because they are a necessity.

Or...when the key pad could no longer be powered I could simply use the key...lol
I think the mechanical dial will get the nod...

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable with a set of keys floating around...seems it would defeat the purpose of having an electronic key pad. Why a key pad when you have a key????

I'm (if you haven't guessed) knee deep in researching gun safes. I'm being thorough because it's a lot of money to spend and it's going to be around a while.

As you can tell...I really question the value of having an electronic key pad. From a preppers perspective, EMP aside, it also means that I would have to be tied to a power source (batteries), which isn't a deal breaker. Yet having batteries around because they are nice to have is a lot different than having them around because they are a necessity.

Or...when the key pad could no longer be powered I could simply use the key...lol
I think the mechanical dial will get the nod...
Man I went through that, just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I bought a Liberty Fatboy Jr from Gander Mtn. I love it even though there's no way you'll ever get 48 guns in it. Made in the USA (yeah that was important to me) and a lifetime transferable guarantee where they pay the freight to replace it if there's ever a problem including replacing it when it does it's job protecting your valuables in a fire/theft. 12 locking bolts in the door and a 45 minute burn rating at 1200 degrees. Weighs in right around 700lbs and it's not fun to move but 3 strong men can manage it with the help of some 1" PVC to roll it on.

I highly recommend this safe.

-Infidel

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just some words to the wise - no need to be telling the homies about what happens if the batteries aren't working....

Just saying.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice safe, Infidel.

I would edit your post about how to move one, though.

OPSEC. Beats being tortured.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cannon Safe Co just came out with their new EMP safe lock. Dual Access EMP Lock | Cannon Safe it features an electronic key pad for quick access and a built in dial lock as a backup in case of an EMP. Looks like it would be a good idea but it's probably pretty expensive. I don't know if it's available as an upgrade for existing safes or if it's only available on new safes.

Edited to add: My Liberty Fatboy Jr came with a dial lock which was part of the reason I chose it. An EMP was not my first concern, I think the dial will hold up better in a fire also although I have no proof of that. It does not allow for quick access but has a day lock built into it in case you want to keep the safe unlocked while your home.

-Infidel
I work on bank equipment. I deal a lot with combo locks mech, and electronic. Electronic locks do have a slightly higher failure rate that mech locks, because of this you will NEVER see a electronic lock installed on a vault door. The cost to core drill a vault is just way to high. With all that being said, I love electronic locks, that are relatively trouble free, and for the ease of use.

Most electronic lock failures are caused by the keypad, in most cases you can pop the keypad off, plug in a working one to access the safe.

If you are worried about batteries, get a kaba mas electronic lock, they dont use batteries, they have a power generator, and it generates its own power by twisting the dial back in forth. (granted for the cost of the lock you can buy years and years worth of 9volt batteries.) They are extremely reliable.

I would stay away from any lock (mech or electronic) that is made by the safe company,

Stick with a good quality group 2 lock made by s&g, la gard, kaba, diebold, and mosler.

the cannon safe emp lock looks like a homemade lock, I would stay away from it. jsut my 2 cents. :)

Mech locks can be set up for fast access, You can set the whole combo to 1 number, so you turn it to the left to your number, the back to the stop point and its unlocked.

Ive never tried to open a safe after a fire, but i would say both mech/electronic would be fubar

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Infidel,

Very nice, I see you have the dial lock...lol

Liberty is definitely on my short list. As is Rhino (Bighorn). Liberty make the Cabelas line of safes, which I didn't know until recently. I have been lead to believe that the only thing different between the two is the logo. I'm taking it on faith that what I've been told is true, maybe yes maybe no. They do carry the same warranty, which is a good one. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

Also the Liberty door organizers are nice, I checked one out and while it may not worth the hundred buck they're asking for it, it would be a nice to have item...

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you wait for the right sale you might be able to get the organizer included with the safe. I've seen Gander Mtn do this, no idea if Cabela's does or not but maybe they'd match the deal at Gander? I would agree that either electric or mechanical locks will probably be destroyed in a fire but at least you don't have to rely on batteries with the mechanical. You can change out the locks on the Liberty safes if you don't particularly like the lock it comes with but to qualify for warranty it needs to be done by a locksmith.

-Infidel

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The Cabelas signature, ambasador and magunum lines of safes come with the door organizer and an outlet kit as standard featues. You can also buy them seperately. Who ever came up with the idea of a door organizer really made safes a lot more user friendly and freed up quite a bit of shelf space in the process.

j....I'm a bit confused, the factory locksets on the Liberties/Cabelas are group 2 UL listed S&G's. Should they be avoided because they are factory or they are they ok because they are S&G's?

I did look at some of the import safes....they looked good and had some nice features yet I wasn't sure the quality was there. Quality of materials and construction of a safe is one of those things you really can't tell just by looking at them. I sure can't!

I've actually learned quite a bit...For one thing UL has established fire/security ratings for Residential Security Cabinets (safes). The higher the RSC rating the better the safe will resist fire and attack. Longer is better...now to figure out which safes provide the best of both at a decent price point.

·
Registered
103 Posts
j....I'm a bit confused, the factory locksets on the Liberties/Cabelas are group 2 UL listed S&G's. Should they be avoided because they are factory or they are they ok because they are S&G's?
no, s&g locks are good, just stay away from homemade stuff.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
855 Posts
The thing I notice most with safe fire ratings is they are all rated differently [email protected] degrees. Some are rated for a shorter time at a higher temp some rated longer time at lower temp. I really don't understand why the manufacturers can't just come to a standard rating. Buying a safe is definitely a learning experience, that's for sure. I think I looked at every safe in the county when I bought mine and then when I decided what I wanted I had to wait for it to come back in stock. Stock on safes seemed to be a big issue with Gander Mtn when I was shopping.

-Infidel

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They didn't have the safe I wanted at the Cabelas in town, yet they list them, so I called Cabelas online customer service number and was told they had gone through their allotment of that style of safe and wouldn't be getting any more in until next year...Wow!

So I called the local store and asked why that was, they said they'd contact liberty and get back with me...which they did. Long story short they put the safe on a PO and it'll be here in 6-8 weeks...I'm so stoked that somebody actually took the time to help me out, and that I can upgrading to exactly the safe I want...kudus to Cabelas...

Infidel,
I agree 1000% it's a learning experience and I have the crib notes to prove it...lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently bought a Field and Stream safe on sale at Dick's. It's small, however, it holds all my guns, plus room for some personal items. It has a manual lock only, as I did not want the electronic key pad. I also bought a smaller Stack On pistol safe, which has a three button electronic pad for quick access, but, can also be opened manually with a key if needed. I just don't trust the e-pad safe locks, as there's too many failure modes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Here's a good link for those still looking. Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

FWIW: I wouldn't have an e-lock, and I don't trust Stack-On. Just check youtube on them. I like my S&G mechanical.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts