Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have numerous scopes that have electronic parts in them, such as the Swarovski Z6i Ballistic turret with red dot and a Zeiss with red dot. The question I have is, If a solar flare does happen and all my weapons are in steel safes what would the probability of them being damaged be? And is there any way to protect them from this?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My reading of the EMP issue around the net is that a safe will protect everything inside it PROVIDED the items are not directly touching the metal walls/ceiling/floor of the safe. That way the pulse will flow safely around the item through the metal like river water parting to flow around a boulder in the stream.
So stand them on a wooden or plastic panel or something to insulate them from the floor of the safe, or simply wrap them in a plastic bag, anything to keep them from touching the metal safe.

Here's a net article about EMP protection- Noah's Ark: Protecting Yourself from EMP
A couple of interesting points in the article are that we needn't use a safe, as an ordinary biscuit tin would give EMP protection, or even a cardboard box wrapped in kitchen foil would do.
In fact whole windowless rooms or cupboards or basements can be proofed by 'wallpapering' them with kitchen foil, including floors and ceiling!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lucky Jim. I have my safes setting on top of rubber insulation and I also have it in the floor of the safe as well. I just wanted to ask to be sure I wasn't missing anything. From Germany, Thanks again brother!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
In fact I EMP-proofed my radio (below) by firstly removing the batteries, then wrapping it in a plastic bag (to keep it from touching the foil), then wrapping it in kitchen foil, and it now sits in my kitchen cupboard..:)

This dood could well be me when it hits the fan, snug and warm in my little hole listening to news broadcasts on my radio..:)

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I have numerous scopes that have electronic parts in them, such as the Swarovski Z6i Ballistic turret with red dot and a Zeiss with red dot. The question I have is, If a solar flare does happen and all my weapons are in steel safes what would the probability of them being damaged be? And is there any way to protect them from this?
ground the safe well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts