Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I live in SoCal but my BOLs are more northern, between the surrounding Reno area and the Tahoe area. My question is this, is there anyone with a similar idea who has already planned out their routes? Im really having a hard time with it. Ive taken cues from the Joel Skousen video strategic relocation where he says the Sierra mountain range will act like a big filter to those on the west side of the mountains tryin to flee inward if SHTF. This shows me that the route up 395 would be better BUT... most of the way the 395 is one lane so it might be a vehicle trap if I dont get ahead of the population. Sorry this is long winded. I have a wife and four kids and a grand baby with another on the way so I have alot to plan for. Anyone's input would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
9,849 Posts
That is a LONG drive to your BOL. If you have do it in winter you could run into some parts of 395 that might be impossible to pass. Even so 395 is probably still your best bet.

I have 2 BOL spots neither more than two hours away buy with the amount of people we have in So Cal it will make the roads a nightmare. I often think while sitting in regular traffic about how much worse it'll be in an emergency. My first plan is to bug in. My hope is if I do have to leave by then most people will be gone (one way or another).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Denton

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in a small desert town with alot of undesirables from the LA area that brought their gang lifestyle with them so bugging in for me isnt an option. Plus there aren't any decent water sources around. Plus the two military bases close by could be targets in a nuclear attack.

· Registered
3,871 Posts
395 is only a 20 minute drive from me
That's good. I was from SF Bay Area and I could see golden gate from where I lived but I never imagined in SHTF I could use it. In a crisis if you don't cover that 20 minutes real quick it could take a long time and be dangerous. Still being close helps. You noted rivers, lakes, and such. So map out a course by the vehicle options you have including the last one - by foot.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
I have a friend who lives in Lake Forest, his bug out plan is the most logical and equal to mine if I ever had to go.

The only way to get out the same day or the day after a SHTF incident is by airplane, which he has,

after that time, zero chance with the roads being clogged with a human wave.

His plan is to take his wife and kid and go to either a BOL in Montana,

or the In laws in Nevada depending on the type of incident.

The bulk of his stores are in those two places,

and carries enough fuel for the trip to either along with 300 pounds of supplies..

I would not want to be in Calisistan SHTF coming, 95% will die on the road, worlds largest shooting gallery.

Those freeways and interstates will be the equivalent of the Iraqi "highway of death".

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Whos going to be killing who in these hypotehical scenarios? An why? Thanks.
I am surprised that you ask this question.

It will be the same class of bastards I had to deal with during the Watts riots.

You have the same type turds in your big cities, think about it, you are not as naive as you pretend.

If the bulk of the people get on the freeways at the same time, they will be utterly jammed up solid.

That is when the insanity will erupt, most people have a thin veneer of civility tempered with the weight of the law,

that civility will peel away quickly with fear, anger and drive for self preservation.

You like I, are retired LEO's, you have seen what assholes are out there even with law and order,

what the hell do you think will happen when that class of people and those just above them

know there is no active ROL and they are in a group?

· Registered
2,932 Posts
I am surprised that you ask this question.

It will be the same class of bastards I had to deal with during the Watts riots.

You have the same type turds in your big cities, think about it, you are not as naive as you pretend.

If the bulk of those people get on the freeways at the same time, they will be utterly jammed up solid.

That is when the insanity will erupt, most people have a thin veneer of civility tempered with the weight of the law,

that civility will peel away quickly with fear anger and drive for self preservation.

You like I, are retired LEO's, you have seen what assholes are out there even with law and order,

what the hell do you think will happen when that class of people and those just above them

know there is no active ROL and they are in a group?
That ^^ x10

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats why I'm also planning on alternate routes that take me off road as well. There is a lot of open desert and forested areas I can use to travel to my BOL. The 395 is the primary road between here and my BOL but if you have ever traveled from SoCal to Nevada on this route you know how much of a trap this road would be after a few hours. But you also know how much open country you have to work with.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
That is a hell of a lot of ground to cover.do you have ample supplies of fuel,back up BOV parts,firearms,ammo,first aid,food and water?.a way to haul it all?.a few shooters other than you?.
What do you have for a BOV?,a bus?,a jeep with trailer?.what?.motorhome?.

Seems like you better move while the getting is good,if this is not a hallucination you are having,you better do something fast,like move or,bug in or,forget it.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a lifted 96 4x4 suburban on 33's. It seats 9. It has a 42 gallon tank and I'm working on expanding that by 20gals. I am looking at a few small military trailers as an added option but am drawing up plans for a large rack so that I'm completely self contained. Also I am assembling a few caches to bury along my routes. The problem about leaving the area now is because two of my kids are still in school and have had the same friends since elementary and second I just got reestablished with a great job. So with that being said I'm dedicating a small portion of my prep work to bugging in.

· Registered
68 Posts
I've been also trying to find local preppers to connect with for mutual help but I've been unsuccessful so far.
That last part is not hard. Just send me a PM. I'm down the Hwy from you.

Have you thought about a closer BOL? Something in the Lucerne Valley area? Cheap to buy and quick to get to. Can always sell when you are ready to move.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.