Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an emp hit what if all these bov's wear electronic fuel injected i would personally have a late 50's and sixtys carbourated engines

·
Registered
887 Posts
If an emp hit what if all these bov's wear electronic fuel injected i would personally have a late 50's and sixtys carbourated engines
Yes and a extra starter and set of cylinders, spark plugs in a faraday box. But then again even having a running vehicle at this point would make you a huge target to looters.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Diesel

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wouldn't matter if you had a car that ran if there was an EMP powerful enough to knock out automotive electronics. No gas station would be pumping, and all highways would be blocked by millions of cars much less being a sure target for any gang.

Edit: If you had the ability to go off road you may be able to get around traffic especially if you use a tropo map. and use railroad tracks, gas and pipe lines.

·
Registered
887 Posts
In an emp its not what gas it uses its ANY electroni component has the potential to get fried. In a miliotary EMP will be fried as that would be the intention of an EMP bomb. Solar EMP's are more hit and miss.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's why you need to get a pre smog vehicle with a stick. I have ALL spare parts to rebuild the electrics in my truck. Even if the starter went out, get her rollin, and pop the clutch. Alternators, starters, relays, distributors etc are small enough to put in the cage ;)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In an emp its not what gas it uses its ANY electroni component has the potential to get fried. In a miliotary EMP will be fried as that would be the intention of an EMP bomb. Solar EMP's are more hit and miss.
Many early diesels through the 90's even used no computer parts - it was a totally mechanical system.

Most of your Deuce and a Half's are still that way.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its been stated here in this thread but if you were so prepared to have a moving vehicle it'd be hard to do so. The noise will create
attention, and looters won't be relegated to someone with a gun - but law enforcement that believes its "entitled" to your vehicle
for "its" needs. I am 361 miles from my bug out property and live in a town I would prefer not to be in - in such an event. I've
already mapped 3 horse ranches / sellers between "here and there" and would probably use bicycles to get to the first one and
move on from there. I'm just not in the position to afford a vehicle that is pre electronic era, and then set aside the necessities
in a faraday box - only to have my local law enforcement and street gangs try to kill me for it.

Opposite of what I just said though, being preppers, I suspect we would understand an EMP "event" at least several hours
before the masses. That would be useful time to bug out in a vehicle if you can afford one and the components necessary
to get it on the road. Gas / diesel will be readily available from parked cars along the roads. But I'd want to be "out" in
less then 4 hours tops. If I could enjoy (financially) owning such a vehicle today I could probably pack in 45 minutes and
be clear of the "community" inside 2 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run a 86 vw diesel in a 88 suzuki samurai. before i put the engine in i removed the complete wiring harness.my hopes are to get out before the emp hits or at least at the front of the pack out into the woods and hang out for a few months. i always carry and extra 5 gallon can of fuel with me. in current configuration i get around 35 mpg and go most everywhere in 2wd. and once i get out there the 2 red tops that i use to run the winch will attach to the inverter. when they get to low fire the vehicle up and can run the inverter straight off the gm alternator. i think the weak part of this whole setup is the inverter. EMP may melt it not sure. but the vehicle woudl start after an emp. emps will mainly effect computer boards and components, as i understand it anyway :)

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Yup, those late 80's and early 90 7.3l diesels are mechanical injection. The autos can have a electronic controller but the 5 speeds don't.
I've got 4 so far. They are getting really hard to come by in nice shape. I learned my lesson on a couple newer trucks with turbo, trans, etc problems. Dumped those newer POS and went old school, best move I've made.
Of course the Bronco will be on the road.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If an EMP did hit, most vehicles would still continue to run.

You can dig up the full report if you want, but good excerpts/digest can be seen here:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/08/real_world_emp_effects_on_moto.html

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/07/the_simple_reality_of_emp_diff.html
The problem with EMP or CME is nobody really knows. There are a lot of variables that make it uncertain including distance from the EMP, size of the burst, etc.

To claim that "most vehicles" would still run is against most reasonable consensus. The more recognized effect is most electronics with circuit boards will be fried and hence will not work. As most modern vehicles use massive amounts of computers (i.e. circuit boards) they will probably not function.

Earlier in the blog I saw the mention of spark plugs, starters, generators, and most of those items to NOT use circuit boards so they will be fine.

Most vehicles manufactured before 1983 will most likely still run, if you have a newer one and faraday some of the essential parts you could very likely get them running.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
I am sure there was a reason the military knew in the 60's that vehicles would be damaged by EMP. This was long before computer control. It was understood that vehicles would be left disabled by the EMP portion of a nuclear attack.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
Montana's right, it all rides on how strong the pulse is.

The pulse is a wave of energy. When it hits the wiring, it induces electrical current. The stronger the pulse, the stronger the current. It won't take much to take out electronic control, but be close to the detonation of a special weapon and you'll find some serious arcing damaging the electrical system of the old vehicles.

If a Willis can be disabled, so can my 72 Maverick.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I understand what you say - no one really knows what it would be like - but the levels they tested these cars and trucks at was up to 50k and the starfish prime explosion was only a peak of like 5.6 or 5.7K. I'm pretty inclined to take the details of the report as 'best conjecture' or 'best advice', but for full disclosure I also am scared enough to keep sensitive electronics and backups inside grounded faraday cages. So I am hypocritical in that sense!

The way you will see most damage from an EMP/CME would be from 'antennas' picking up and ampifing the pulse. THat is why the power grid is so susceptible, thousands (millions?) of miles of antennas in the form of transmision lines. Transformers and anything plugged in/attached to the power grid will be highly susceptible. This is what you saw Newty in congress again just the other day warning about, even with everything working right it could take up to 20years to fix/replace the power grid, who knows how long if things are all fallen apart? It would still be a MAJOR TSHTF event.

Small standalone items, lets say a handheld radio (but not a ham rig with a BIG antenna, uh-oh!) or a cars electornics, most likely won't be affected. If you are close enough for the initial pulse to cause arcing on that handheld, or even a car... your car starting isn't the worst of your worries, as you are most likely dead since being that close would either put you in or VERY close to the blast of the EMP or the CME would be so strong that you and probably the whole world would be getting a super sunburn.

Dunno, that is my best self-educated understanding.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts