Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got thru building my home this January, I built it in Germany. My home is built like a tank! Tons of concrete reinforced with 1/4-1/2 rebar. The walls the floors everything. I also have a grounding strap (connected to the rebar) connected on every floor in the house and ran outside to the city grounding strap. I have wood floors installed on the concrete and I'm curious what would the effects of an EMP have on my home? I have geo-thermal heating that is run off of solar panels, so I know my solar panels would be fried. So the question is do you (Your Opinion) think that an EMP would still fry all internal gadgets?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My guess is yes, . . . a source I was reading a year or so ago, . . . gave instructions that more or less said a metal building (metal roof, metal side walls, connected together) was in his/her opinion the "optimum" EMP safe enclosure.

Again, . . . about a year ago, . . . somewhere on the web, . . . but if you google EMP or maybe EMP damage prevention, . . . you will probably get some good answers there.

I'm kind of resigned to take what happens with the EMP, . . . we'll pick up and go forward from there.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
If your rebar is caged you will be good for the gap. It also depends on what type of concrete it is. 1/4-1/2 reb will sheild that wavelength. If it is a cage.. you likely have a door going in. the largest opening is the largest wave that can travel but you will be partially sheilded not totally shielded.

Most of the dangerous powerful stuff is at wavelengths you would be shielded from you had the rebar spaced at 1/2 inch from each other.. (both horizontal and verticle like a rabit cage not just verticle like a jail cell because waves can travel horizonal or verticle not just one dimension) the space in the rebar is the space of the wavelength ex 35 inchs is way too big of cage separation. if the rebar is spaced about 1ft from one another 12 inches you are in better shape, but you should try to shield the inside if possible or the outside. None the less you will be sheilded but I recommend putting any sensitive electronics unplugged in a faraday cage if you you want to be more protected like a metal garbage can or metal trunk or wrapped in aluminum foil. grounding your shell is important because you want to conduct your pulse to ground as quickly as possible.

none the less look into sheilding. Depending on the thickness of the cement you will be sheilded from gamma rays

The density of lead is abt 11340kg/m3...
and of concrete is abt 2400 kg/m3

lead will be better because it is conductive.... though

take this manual and multiply how much lead is called for by 5

http://innovativebiomedical.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/radiation_shielding-lead-etc..pdf

BTW stockpiles of leadshot 12 gauge cartridges lining your walls can help.

just pile them like

and you can use that as your "safe wall"

or perhaps just fashion a jock strap out of a box of shells :) if you want to have kids after the bomb.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The EMP effects on loops of conductors - like your rebar - cause the loops to become electro-magnets that generate their own secondary EMPs. If the pipes for your geo-thermal heat are made of metal they, and your grounding straps, will collect the energy from the EMP like antennae. Total protection from EMP requires an isolated, continuous metal shield totally enclosing an insulated box. Any conductors going through that insulation or box will carry at least some of the EMP into the box.
You have, what would seem to be a very well built and strong home but it will not protect you from any of the effects of an EMP and may excentuate some of the effects because you have inadvertently set up antennas that will pull in power from the EMP and create secondary EMPs in the home.
If the rebar connects (physical connection) in a grid pattern that will help to reduce the secondary EMPs but the electrical wiring, piping and ground straps will still allow a path for the power to connect you electrically to the EMP. You still need to protect any electronic devices that you would like to have after an EMP hits.
If you can receive radio, television or electrical energy inside your home then the EMP can get through too.

Embassy buildings are protected from EMP using a copper gauze (very fine but heavy mesh) that is installed in the flooring, walls and ceilings and is overlapped and connected to each of the other walls, floor and ceiling sheets. Then isolating material is put over that to insulate the inside from the power going through the copper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts