Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
kauboy said it right...a karambit like fox 499 tactical karambit....if used with a bit training can cause havoc
karambit is my EDC knife

·
Registered
245 Posts
To answer properly, one must define what is their definition of an EDC - EveryDay Carry; utility knife, defense knife...
For a light utility knife, most folders work fine. I sell quite a few Buck and Spyderco folders and hear many positive comments.
For a defense knife, folders are not as desireable as the user must take the extra time to open it while being attacked. Therefore, I suggest a small fixed blade knife such as a ESEE or Bark River neck knife.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree that folders are not ideal defense knives. Pragmatically though, a fixed blade isn't always a realistic option on one's person. If one is relegated to anything but a fixed blade for defense, a good auto knife or at least a decent spring assist would certainly be desired.

As I can't carry an auto knife in Virginia, I picked up a Kershaw 1556TBW Cryo II Assisted 3-1/4" Blackwashed Tanto Blade, Rick Hinderer Framelock Design assisted opener some time ago. Not only does it have a SpeedSafe assist opening design in addition to the thumb stud, but also a four position pocketclip on a steel handle.

I wish the steel was a bit better than the Chinese 8Cr13MoV, a high-end budget steel comparable to a slightly higher carbon content version AUS-8 and 440B that makes it slightly more prone to corrosion, but still a very good buy for $40.

View attachment 6849

View attachment 6850
if you like the Kershaw knives, take a look at their Tactical line of knives; Zero Tolerance. More expensive, but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
To answer properly, one must define what is their definition of an EDC - EveryDay Carry; utility knife, defense knife...
For a light utility knife, most folders work fine.
Right -- my definition of an EDC, is a pocket knife that mostly is used as a utility knife, but if push comes to shove ... it can be a defensive blade. That is why, IMHO, the SOG Twitch XL (Rosewood handle) is the perfect EDC. This knife is substantial and STRONG (locked, there is NO movement, period). Plus, the Rosewood not only looks great but feels as smooth as silk.

I love the heavy duty pocket clip, have never seen one better. While this is crossing brands, I also have added a Spyderco lanyard, as they seem to be the only good ones made.

Spyderco BEAD4LY Mini Pewter Round Bead with Two-Tone Lanyard Model BEAD4LY - KnifeCenter

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
The reason I am upgrading, other than just an excuse to buy another knife, is the pocket clip on the Kabar comes loose all the time. Ive tried everything I know to keep it tight but it wont, and know I lost one of the screws to keep its on. First time locktight didn't work for me.
I had the same problem with my Kershaw Scallion I bought about 15 years ago. I emailed Kershaw and they sent me a new clip and screws at no cost. They also said if I sent it to them they would switch out the clip for me, sharpen it and send it back at no charge. Great customer service if you ask me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Since we are talking about knives and such, I am looking at a full tange defensive knife for the man purse. Currently in there is the folder Spyderco Tenacious, 60/40 combo blade. On my person almost always is a Kershaw Blur, also a combo blade. I looked around a bit, came up with a sub $50 price point, sub 3.75" blade and have the hots for a SOG Mini Pentagon. Spear tip blade, serrated one side, plain on the other with a nice kydex sheath with clip. Sorry no link from me at this time. Think I saw one on amazon @ $44. My bigger concern is I travel many states, don't want to get jammed up due to a knife blade being too long, otherwise I would just carry the full sized kabar :smilet-digitalpoint

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Spyderco PM2 is my edc. It's a great blade. Made in USA. G10 scales and supersteel! The locking mechanism is fantastic! Highly recommended!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I usually carry a Gerber "Sospension" multi-tool, a Smith and Wesson HRT bear claw style blade for transecting jugular and corrotid arteries and a Gerber folder for light work. I subscribe to the any piece of steel that results in a leak that is is inconsistent with the life of your enemy theory.

I may buy a classic Italian Bertram stiletto now that switchblades are again legal here. Hell yeah!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I carry a Gerber Icon. Rather huge at nearly 10 inches opened, I'm thinking of downsizing to something else perhaps in the future.

If I want something more defensive I'll go with the Cold Steel Pro Guard to carry.

I also like my Kabar last ditch knife. I have one laced up in my black running shoes, making it the knife I always have with me. :D

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I found an odd thing, at least it was "odd" to me. Most of the knives I've purchased have distinct yellow handles. While this might be the usual presentation of a popular manufacturer, it seems that yellow handles are the norm.

Having said that, I ordered a folder and was surprised that the handles were snow white. I had not said anything to the seller on the phone, I just assumed I would get the usual product.

When the knife came I was actually stunned by the simple beauty of the piece. The only letters on the knife were on the ricasso from A.G. Russell. The blade, the grips, and the bolsters are just simple, unmarked and yet elegant items. Now I wish more of my knives came this way.

This folder is not just a "pretty face." The edge might appear narrow and dainty, but I would suggest that you keep your thumb off of it! I guess 'simple' doesn't mean dull and manageable. I know I'm going to dig around and find another mate for this item. I've seen enough 'yellow,' and that white ivory grip is quite simple and yet beautiful.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have several EDC knives. It just depends on what I’m wearing and what mood I’m in. Here is a sample.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
My bigger concern is I travel many states, don't want to get jammed up.

I'm glad you posted this. I learned about "knives and traveling" as a younger guy on vacation with my parents.

In suburban Wisconsin there wasn't much discussion on knives. In that simpler time most of the guys had some sort of folding knife--not as a weapon, per se, but as just a tool most guys got when they turned 8 years old.

My family did tour the gulf side of the southern states. You did not have to inquire of their list of manners, but you could feel it. I think I even made strict care not to soil the white table cloth at a breakfast. So even if you do not know the local beliefs of a new area, I suggest you just sit up straight, eat the food in front of you, and smile. After all, isn't that how you'd like foreigners in your state to act the same way?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Just got a package from Joyce and her husband! Yikes, I do not know where she finds all of this stuff! They know that I only collect Sicilian folders and stilettos. Meaning, their products might ship out in three different ships and over one big ocean. Considering that, there isn't a single blemish on this stiletto!

This is the make and model I like to carry. Of course, it's Sicilian. But this one is a blonde bone in color, the activation button is on the "light" side" and the deep walnut brown is on the obverse side. Every element works, snaps, locks and behaves. They must have packed this in miles of bubble wrap!

I do like their "fuller dagger blade" for the stiletto. The ricasso is tough, fully a solid 5/8's of solid blade steel.

In the arrogate of knife sellers, this folder is "quiet." It doesn't make noise until you punch the button. The features are tight, tight, tight! Joyce also included her business card, I think she likes my friends here and wants to get to know you. After all, these are real deal knives that will get you home!

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Just got a package from Joyce and her husband! Yikes, I do not know where she finds all of this stuff! They know that I only collect Sicilian folders and stilettos. Meaning, their products might ship out in three different ships and over one big ocean. Considering that, there isn't a single blemish on this stiletto!

This is the make and model I like to carry. Of course, it's Sicilian. But this one is a blonde bone in color, the activation button is on the "light" side" and the deep walnut brown is on the obverse side. Every element works, snaps, locks and behaves. They must have packed this in miles of bubble wrap!

I do like their "fuller dagger blade" for the stiletto. The ricasso is tough, fully a solid 5/8's of solid blade steel.

In the arrogate of knife sellers, this folder is "quiet." It doesn't make noise until you punch the button. The features are tight, tight, tight! Joyce also included her business card, I think she likes my friends here and wants to get to know you. After all, these are real deal knives that will get you home!

View attachment 113730
You will go to jail in the blink of an eye carrying that here in this state.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
Hey, Cali just had a ruling against their "assault weapons ban", so maybe there's still hope!

Texas rescinded all "illegal knife" laws a few years ago, or this would have caught you a free ride and new bracelets here too.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts

Good to know. About six or eight years ago the local police decided that driving around all day looking for knives was allowing the drug czars free range of the streets. Besides, how many cops really know a gravity knife from a switchblade from a common folder? Actually, I have most of them, after all, it's the blade that I'm looking for, not the "pivot."

·
Registered
9,182 Posts

Good to know. About six or eight years ago the local police decided that driving around all day looking for knives was allowing the drug czars free range of the streets. Besides, how many cops really know a gravity knife from a switchblade from a common folder? Actually, I have most of them, after all, it's the blade that I'm looking for, not the "pivot."
Actually, I know the difference between them.
As a police officer,
we did not go out looking for guys that carried banned blades.
At the police academy,
they are given a class on prohibited weapons within the state.
If an arrest was made for another violation, and one was found in a search of their person or THEIR car, they were charged with the violation,
especially if they were an a$$hole.
What utilitarian purpose does a switchblade serve that no other blade will do?
There are several descriptions of outlawed blades that are covered under the state law.
I carried a Dirk with a 6 inch blade behind my Kevlar vest upside down, a police exception.
Today, I carry a Gerber folder for utility purposes and a handgun for social work.

Last week at BJ's there was a guy openly carrying a Bowie with a 10-12 inch blade,
was also wearing dreadlocks, gang tats and colors, all perfectly legal.
I did not let him get behind me though at any point, my daughter moved about 6 feet away from me as a defense tactic,
guy would have been shot by either or both of us if needed.
Nothing happened in the club.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts