Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I looked at all three, and I liked your Kabar the best. I prefer a thin, sleek knife. I seldom spend more tha $20 on an internet knife, becouse I like to "hold" a knife, to feel how heavy it is, I also like to check the joinmts for any wobble or slop. Good luck, and can I ask, why the upgrade?

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I have a run of the mill 3 1/2" S&W folder (looks like a stiletto when you open it) w/o assisted opening. I had one of their AO's and I stabbed myself in the leg I don't know how many times. ****in' thing was dangerous and razor sharp. It would just pop open in my pocket (lot's of force). Sometimes didn't even know I had cut myself. Then one day the lock quit working and it just flipped open, wouldn't stay closed. That was the last time I ever bought one with the assist.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I am upgrading, other than just an excuse to buy another knife, is the pocket clip on the Kabar comes loose all the time. Ive tried everything I know to keep it tight but it wont, and know I lost one of the screws to keep its on. First time locktight didn't work for me.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
That really bites. Those baby threads must have gotten "rolled" or something. Me, Im opposite, becouse I dont like to carry a knife on my belt or clipped inside my pocket. ( At least as of now, I havent found one I like to carry like that).
I often remove the clip, becouse I usually carry in the right front pocket, low and flat against my leg.
When I do wear my "gear belt" I have a small magazine pouch I like to carry a knife in, but, I havent been wearing it lately.
All work and no play, lately.
Bigdog, I dont really like the assisted openers, for what you mentioned, and becouse I havent found a reason to "justify" me spanding more than I already do on knives. I would love some "edged weapons traing", but right now, I would just love a day off, to go sit with the fiance and "do nothing " except whatever she wants to do.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cold steel. I carry the full size recon and don't even feel it.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I keep mine in the door of the truck, along with these items, so I braught them to my desk for a quick picture.
The maglite is very old, the "blackTac" knife was a multiknife purchase, where I acquired mine by selling some others, and the lighter is from Ebay, ( I ran water over it, and after a minute of blowing on the "clicker" it worked).
Nine times out of ten, I also have an "orange utility work knife" in my pocket, sometimes having unloaded three or four in a day.

everyday.jpg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I carry at least three knives on me at anytime. A large folder in my right front pocket (several o choose from). A Buck pocket knife in my front left pocket. A multitool with a knife blade is always on my belt...I usually use at least two of them every day.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
What's the primary reason for this EDC knife?
General utility?
Self defense?

If utility, go with something with a nice strong blade. Half serrated is good for starting cuts in tougher material. I carry the Buck Odyssey with a half serrated blade for utility, just like this one: Buck Odyssey.
For defense, look for something with a solid grip that won't slip in your hand. Finger grooves are good, and if you can find one, a pommel will aid in keeping the hand away from the blade.
For defense, I carry a karambit. The hawkbill blade is quite intimidating, and backs it up with crazy cutting strength. Most karambits come with a finger hole to keep the grip extremely secure in the hand. I'm carrying a cheapo right now, like this: Karambit, but will soon upgrade to one with a "wave" notch and that has the pocket clip going the appropriate direction for quick and automatic deployment, like this: wave karambit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its primarily for general utility. I decided to go with the Cold steel mini recon 1. Not to bad, although I thought it was going to be larger than it is, but over all happy with the knife.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I guess I think in terms of EDC meaning something less than the SHTF. To me EDC means I am going about my business running errands, etc. In that case, I don't open carry anything -- guns or blades. My EDC knife is this SOG

Twitch XL - Wood Handle - Knives - Everyday Carry

For more serious stuff -- driving through bad sections of town, on hiking trips, etc., I rely on my big folder

Fatcat - Knives - Everyday Carry (no, I didn't even pay half of that price)

I am still mulling over the "perfect" fixed blade knife for my battle belt. I am leaning towards a bayonet to mate with my Mossberg 590.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Anything from Spyderco, Cold Steel or OKC in your favorite size and style is money well spent. I have the Tenacious G and it's fine knife for the money. Lately I've been carrying an OKC RAT folder (or two) and rate them as another excellent value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's the primary reason for this EDC knife?
General utility?
Self defense?

If utility, go with something with a nice strong blade. Half serrated is good for starting cuts in tougher material. I carry the Buck Odyssey with a half serrated blade for utility, just like this one: Buck Odyssey.
For defense, look for something with a solid grip that won't slip in your hand. Finger grooves are good, and if you can find one, a pommel will aid in keeping the hand away from the blade.
For defense, I carry a karambit. The hawkbill blade is quite intimidating, and backs it up with crazy cutting strength. Most karambits come with a finger hole to keep the grip extremely secure in the hand. I'm carrying a cheapo right now, like this: Karambit, but will soon upgrade to one with a "wave" notch and that has the pocket clip going the appropriate direction for quick and automatic deployment, like this: wave karambit.
This ^....what's your purpose for an EDC?

Mine is for utility....I carry a ESEE Izula II around my neck every day. It's not another thing in my pockets (which already have too much crap in them) and it's short, stout and sharp as all get out. It does the trick for me...YMMV

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had a SOG Flash II, really liked it as a folder except that the way the clip was held in place, if it came loose or you caught the clip on something, it sort of wedged the handle apart like it was breaking. That one somehow managed to wiggle itself out of my pocket and I lost it. I liked the spring assisted opening and it had a lock safety to prevent that accidental in pocket opening. I put out some feelers for what would be a good replacement and why. I also had a Spyderco Tenacious that is not spring assisted opening but can open quickly with practice. Love that blade profile and the pier construction is easy to clean out pocket lint. Now if I could just find a pier constructed spring assisted, all black knife with a serrated, smooth blade I would have my holy grail of EDC knives. I present to you a Kershaw Blur. It has all the features I sought and Amazon was giving some sort of GC offer if I tried something, I had a left over GC to Amazon and free shipping and I ended up getting the Kershaw free! And I ordered the Kershaw with a glass break stud on the end of it, which is good for putting a hole in your pocket, I would consider getting a Blur w/o the stud or take a dremel to it and file some of the sharpness out of it, it is sharp and it catches on cloth material. For SHTF or camping, Kabar black combo blade full size. But back to the Blur. I honestly like the Spyderco Tenacious better than the Kershaw, but I like the spring assisted opening enough that I carry Kershaw EDC. I like the Spyderco better because of the industrial look it has and the very functional jimping on the back of the blade gives you a solid place to press your thumb when pressing down while making cuts. The Kershaw has some jimping but it was more of an afterthought than actually functional, my thumb slides across the jimping and does not engage it that well. Spyderco overall blade profile, I just like it. I may search for and buy another Spyderco Tenacious in all black, do the zip tie thingy in the thumb hole opener area and live w/o spring assisted opening as Spyderco does not "do" spring assisted openers.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My EDC is a Leatherman Wingman. Not so much a knife but a tool,it does get a workout on the job.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Kauboy covered what I had to say

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I just got a camillus hustle. I was looking at a Kershaw but it was spring loaded and I didn't like it. The spring was too springy? So I got the camillus hustle with a light tan handle and silver blade.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I carry at least three knives on me at anytime. A large folder in my right front pocket (several o choose from). A Buck pocket knife in my front left pocket. A multitool with a knife blade is always on my belt...I usually use at least two of them every day.
I am similar. See my post above - but forgot to mention, I also carry the Leatherman multi-tool. That blade is some kind of good -- S30V steel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts