Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history ? I found it interesting. Maybe you will too enjoy.

Carte_Lewis_and_Clark_Expedition-660x429.png
Lewis and Clark are among the most fabled explorers in American history, and their role in opening up the West both literally and politically shaped the country. National Geographic has an amazing website devoted to their expedition, and among the tidbits of interest is the gear list. You can find that here. - See more at: EDC History: Lewis and Clark?s Gear List | AllOutdoor.com
The Gear Breakdown

There are a lot of interesting items on the list. They took 25 hatchets with them, which basically meant half the group had a hatchet. They also took 24 "large knives," hopefully outfitting the rest of the group. The clothing is pretty easy to understand-lots and lots of wool. Wool pants. Wool shirts. Wool overalls. They also took with them lots and lots of stuff to do field repairs and upgrades. There were flints for rifles, lead sheets for bullets, lots of needles and thread. They took a lot of instruments as well, including a device for measuring longitude that was more than 10% of their budget. Finally, there were two horses for 57 people. Only two of the names are household names today, making it easy to figure out who got the horses and who had to hoof it.
- See more at: EDC History: Lewis and Clark?s Gear List | AllOutdoor.com

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Good read. I've always been interested in the expedition. That's the first time I've seen mention of the cost of their equipment.

One of really cool rifles they took was air powered. Here's a video:

Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. …:

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good read. I've always been interested in the expedition. That's the first time I've seen mention of the cost of their equipment.

One of really cool rifles they took was air powered. Here's a video:

Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. …:
The air rifles were way ahead of there time! Very cool indeed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts