• under 500

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 1 4.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pretty good idea of solid guns for a good price but lets see if you folks can help me figure out some others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i dont have any optics like that i have Bushnell tasco ect.... they preform good enough for my needs and they wont break the bank

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah but post-Obama ak are getting pricey, sks same round, just as dependable and about halve then price as an ak.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah but post-Obama ak are getting pricey, sks same round, just as dependable and about halve then price as an ak.
Read my post again above yours I picked the SKS over the AK, for the fallowing reasons, same round as the ak-47 the SKS was designed to be a semi-auto. stainless parts and chrome barrel and you can get the 10 shot clips very cheaply. I haven't compared the two but many say the SKS is more accurate. Too bad you can no longer buy them at $100 dollars each.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They're all going up in price. I remember 8 years ago, a local gun store was selling SKSs for $125. Now it is hard to get them for under $300.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've never been one to worry about a budget for guns. I basically just buy what I need when I can afford to. I love guns and shooting but don't really have a lot of guns as I don't really have the need. I'm going to bugout if things are bad enough when shtf and I don't like the idea of leaving firearms behind. At all whether in a safe or in a closest. So that limits my personal needs seeing as I'm not married anymore and don't stock guns as handouts for friends and family. Most of my family is girls anyways and most can only use a pistol sadly enough to any usefulness of personal protection. I've tried to teach them, but we're pretty spread out in distance now also so if shtf really hard, I've acccepted that fact sadly that I'm going to have to write them off. If there's no communication and travel is difficult, the distance makes it so. This year I plan to buy another M1A/M14 feeling a little empty since selling my Scout and having only my fullsize left. Maybe another Adams piston AR setup, but that's not a definite since AR's are only so important to me. Maybe a Beretta 92FS compact if I find a good deal at the right time, but that's not a necessary either as I CCW a fullsize just fine at my size of 6'4" 250lb. For thread sake though, that would be a budget of over $1000. Especially with parts and ammunition thrown in. Probably over $5000 atleast if I buy them all.

·
Registered
492 Posts
They're all going up in price. I remember 8 years ago, a local gun store was selling SKSs for $125. Now it is hard to get them for under $300.
Back in the day when most everyone turned their nose up at these rifles you could pick them up at Woolworths for $70.00 they kept them in a wooden barrel and we just picked the ones that were the least boogered up. I thought I was just cheap, turns out I was a little smart too.

punch

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Back in the day when most everyone turned their nose up at these rifles you could pick them up at Woolworths for $70.00 they kept them in a wooden barrel and we just picked the ones that were the least boogered up. I thought I was just cheap, turns out I was a little smart too.

punch
Yup. I almost bought a few cases of them for 79 bucks a rifle. I changed my mind, I couldn't figure out why anyone would want those tacky little rifles.
Oops.

My son has one. I have a MAC-90 (Clintonized AK). I would never even think of trading my rifle for one of those SKSs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Read my post again above yours I picked the SKS over the AK, for the fallowing reasons, same round as the ak-47 the SKS was designed to be a semi-auto. stainless parts and chrome barrel and you can get the 10 shot clips very cheaply. I haven't compared the two but many say the SKS is more accurate. Too bad you can no longer buy them at $100 dollars each.
Sorry I seem to remember someone talking about the ak must have been from another post.
Don't get me wrong I love the ak, I own a ak would not give it up for anything, but the subject of cheap guns sks is about as cheap as you can get, and it's nearly the same as the ak

I've never heard anyone compare the accuracy of the SKS vs ak, I think if you're talking about accuracy your barking up the wrong tree with the 7.62 x 39 platform, I've always considered that laying down some lead round not trying to snipe with.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Jgriner
Most people don't understand the meaning of accuracy. If I shot at a target at 100 yards with my SKS an my M1A Supermatch and the Supermatch put 10 rnds in a 1 in circle 3 inches below the bullseye and then shot the SKS An every shot was placed evenly around the bullseye but none closer than 10 inches from the bullseye then the SKS would be more accurate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jgriner
Most people don't understand the meaning of accuracy. If I shot at a target at 100 yards with my SKS an my M1A Supermatch and the Supermatch put 10 rnds in a 1 in circle 3 inches below the bullseye and then shot the SKS An every shot was placed evenly around the bullseye but none closer than 10 inches from the bullseye then the SKS would be more accurate.
Guess I don't understand stand accuracy either cause I would say your supermatch is accurate just needs to be zeroed in.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes the Supermatch just needed to be dialed in and the Supermatch was very precise so its precision was very good but every shot was 3 inches off. Where as the SKS the overall accuracy was good (the average of all 10 shots would equal out) but its precision was terrible. So what people really want is a precision rifle over an accurate rifle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jgriner
IMO, you're way off base here. The M1A is obviously more accurate. Your assertion that shot placement translates into accuracy is incorrect.

First of all, you claim that the M1A placed its rounds 3 inches below the POA (Point Of Aim), and the SKS placed none of its rounds closer than 10 inches from the POA. I don't see how rounds striking 10 inches from POA is supposedly more accurate than rounds striking 3 inches from POA.

Let's look at a different scenario. Let's say your theoretical M1A placed all of its rounds 4 inches above the POA at 100 yards, in a 1 inch circle, for a 1 MOA (Minute Of Angle) group. Now let's say your theoretical SKS placed all of its rounds right at the POA at 100 yards in a 4 inch circle, for a 4 MOA group. I say the M1A is more accurate than the SKS, apparently you believe that the SKS is more accurate. Now let's move the target out to 200 yards. Now the M1A places its shots right at the POA in a 2 inch group, but the SKS places its rounds in a 8 inch group, but the rounds are striking 7 inches below the POA. Now which is more accurate? By your reckoning, I'm guessing you now believe the M1A is more accurate. So, the rifles have changed positions in terms of which is more accurate?

You're mistaking accuracy, or lack thereof, for zeroing. I mean, if I buy a new gun, and shoot it at 25 yards, and it prints a 1 inch group, but the rounds are 2 inches left and 3 inches low, do I return it to the factory because it's not accurate? No, I just adjust the sights.

I understand that, if the weapon is not properly sighted in, its accuracy is not particularly useful, if you can't strike the target with it. But you can't fault a firearm if the user hasn't zeroed it properly.

Tim

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
IMO, you're way off base here. The M1A is obviously more accurate. Your assertion that shot placement translates into accuracy is incorrect.

First of all, you claim that the M1A placed its rounds 3 inches below the POA (Point Of Aim), and the SKS placed none of its rounds closer than 10 inches from the POA. I don't see how rounds striking 10 inches from POA is supposedly more accurate than rounds striking 3 inches from POA.

Let's look at a different scenario. Let's say your theoretical M1A placed all of its rounds 4 inches above the POA at 100 yards, in a 1 inch circle, for a 1 MOA (Minute Of Angle) group. Now let's say your theoretical SKS placed all of its rounds right at the POA at 100 yards in a 4 inch circle, for a 4 MOA group. I say the M1A is more accurate than the SKS, apparently you believe that the SKS is more accurate. Now let's move the target out to 200 yards. Now the M1A places its shots right at the POA in a 2 inch group, but the SKS places its rounds in a 8 inch group, but the rounds are striking 7 inches below the POA. Now which is more accurate? By your reckoning, I'm guessing you now believe the M1A is more accurate. So, the rifles have changed positions in terms of which is more accurate?

You're mistaking accuracy, or lack thereof, for zeroing. I mean, if I buy a new gun, and shoot it at 25 yards, and it prints a 1 inch group, but the rounds are 2 inches left and 3 inches low, do I return it to the factory because it's not accurate? No, I just adjust the sights.

I understand that, if the weapon is not properly sighted in, its accuracy is not particularly useful, if you can't strike the target with it. But you can't fault a firearm if the user hasn't zeroed it properly.

Tim
You are getting Precision and accuracy mixed up. The Supermatch may have a 1 MOA and The SKS may have 10 MOA, but MOA is a measurement of Precision, Accuracy takes in the average of the shot placement, if 4 shots for the SKS are 1st 5 in high 2nd 5 in low 3rd 5 in right 4th 5 in left the average would be a bulls-eye with a precision of 10 MOA Maybe this helps.
http://www.velaction.com/difference-between-precision-and-accuracy/

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have a pretty good idea of solid guns for a good price but lets see if you folks can help me figure out some others
Guess I dont quite understand what your asking?

Cheap guns is way to open
pistols? rifles? carbines?

and what do you want to accomplish?
They all have their pros and cons.

break down ruger 10/22 = 300 bucks ease of use, fits in a bag. cheap ammo. can provide food, great starter gun for introducing kids & new shooters

mosin nagant = 100 or so bucks. rugged. can take big game and at distance at that.

highpoint carbine = 300 or so bucks 9mm,.40, .45. cheap and goes bang everytime,compatability of ammo w/ EDC weapon.can "mall ninja it with all the crap you desire as it has rails all over it so ugly probably wont ,get stolen lol

mossberg 500. 500 bucks goes bang everytime, kills any & everything, lots of ammo choices, can take any kind of game you want especially if you get a bird barrel with it. its basically the glock of the shot gun world.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As far as an inexpensive hand gun I prefer Ruger. I have a P95, SR9C, MarkIII 22/45 and a Single Action Blackhawk revolver in .357 Now as far as a rifle you cant go wrong with an old Mosin Nagant (7.62 x 54) $125.00 all day long at the local gun store and a tin of 440 round surplus ammo for about $85.00

·
Registered
68 Posts
SKS-AK or third choice...

Saiga at +/- $370 is built on the military AK line but is semi only and comes with standard rifle stock. Low cost, reliable and doesn't scare the nannies by looking like an evil assault rifle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts