Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Reloading set might be a good investment over time... or for shooting if you do a lot of shooting. God now I flashbacks of collecting all the brass on the ranges lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Eventually, all of it.

At the moment, keep around $1K on hand.(hat tip to Dave Ramsey) This can help to get through unforeseen hardships. (new tire(s), debit card stolen, power outage knocking out digital money options, medical emergency, etc...)
Convert other wealth into things you know you'll use later, or that you know will have value later. Don't do this for all your money, but it's good to diversify.
If we start to see more inflation and higher instability, and ESPECIALLY if we see a push for "Central Bank Digital Currency", that will be a time to start pulling money out of the system.
I might flip my finances at some point, keeping only ~1K in the bank, and the rest dispersed in various places. My paycheck is directly deposited, so that should keep some sitting in my account for certain uses. It is particularly important since I started to run my own business using different very innovative tools.
Taking into account the fact that SP500 might go below 3000 what would you recommend to invest in?
UPD: more and more often I stumble upon articles that we are going even below 3000 this year. Hope we will not fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,605 Posts
Taking into account the fact that SP500 might go below 3000 what would you recommend to invest in?
You won't make money during the dip.
Unless you're a financially irresponsible person who shorts stocks based on luck and hope, I would stay clear of the market.
Put your money into things that withstand downturns, like precious metals. They've not been performing well recently, but if the market does drop 3K, they'll turn around pretty quick.
Also, the fed already has a plan to raise interest rates over the next year+ to combat inflation(that they caused). So any savings or interest bearing vehicles you can find that peg their APY to the federal funds rate will see an increase in interest earned.
My savings account went from .1% to .5% APY over the last 2 months as a result. Yeah, that's piddly-squat, but that's a very low-end free savings account. It's just an example. There are likely much better options available.

Short answer, don't take out loans and don't buy stocks. Inflation can cause these to be good options, but all the tools to combat inflation will have a negative effect on them.

Reactions: Brandau Sousa

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,605 Posts
I am not experienced in investing in commodities / futures (so this post is not a suggestion or recommendation), but I'm curious if investing in commodities that keep rising in price (such as wheat ... or gas if possible) would be a good idea, until they hit a peak?
Good questions.
I'm also unfamiliar with these particular options.
Research pending...

Reactions: CC Pereira

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I am not experienced in investing in commodities / futures (so this post is not a suggestion or recommendation), but I'm curious if investing in commodities that keep rising in price (such as wheat ... or gas if possible) would be a good idea, until they hit a peak?
Warning I am not an Expert:
Ok Commodities and Futures are two different things...
1. Futures are derivative financial contracts that obligate parties to buy or sell an asset at a predetermined future date and price.
2. A commodity market is a marketplace for buying, selling, and trading raw materials or primary products.

Now that said, commodities used to be limited to producers in that market, oil companies could only invest in other companies, farmers & farm companies could only invest in other farms, etc. Now, commodities would be a good investment right now, due to political climate. Wheat prices will climb in advance of expected rises in the cost of farming, transportation, dressing and manufacturing the wheat in "bread."

Companies do this because it gives them wiggle room with funds for maintaining the business before they have to seek out wounds. This is just a last ditch "boost" of liquid capital. Eventually the costs rise and match the increased priced in the price/cost index for that company. So companies raise price before they need to based on different factors.

If you expect the cost of Wheat to keep rising, investing in Wheat in a commodity market is a good investment. The whole thing with investing is investing isn't a quick in and out for extra money, it is a long-term investment in a company. The only people who make a million with a quick in and out investment is people who can invest 10 million to make 1 million in 6 months to a year.

So what I think you mean by "investing in commodities / futures" I think you mean, investing in a commodity stock with a futures option to sell the stock at a certain price. A good strategy and the stock is a parachute, you can always sell the stock if you need the money.

And ultimately, this is a race to see if the stock price rises before the dollar crashes. I think this will come sooner then later but, I don't think it will be in the next 5 years. So...

Not an expert but I know a bit.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts