Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read quite a bit and found my screen name in a recently published dystopian fiction (indie). I figure it is concidence. Yet...what I have noticed is that a lot of what we discuss here is written about there. It seems we talk about and it finds its way into works of fiction. Or is it the other way around?...lol

I know, A lot of ideas presented in dystopian fiction are common prepper knowledge...yet some in the newest (2012/13) survival/dystopian fiction appears as if it was lifted from forum discussion or consensus. Well I guess we are a demgraphic.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I am amazed by my children who are all in their 20's are fully aware of the coming collapse. My oldest daughters boyfriend recently came out with his bug out bag to get my opinion, needless to sa I sent him home with many goodies and a invitation to come to the ranch as long as my daughter was in tow.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Becoming mainstream... I've read hundreds of prepper fiction and nonfiction works. Lots of "common scenarios" in play. I expect reality to be other than fiction. Usually proves out that way. Sort of like how the hero good guy in the movies gets his face bashed in by forces that would break concrete, but he can still stand to give the girl a passionate kiss with lots of lip action after... Or how the same hero might discharge any number of rounds in car or indoor room yet hear whispers... Yup... Hollyweird!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either some fiction writers are very good researchers or are into prepping.

I just finished a book where the protagonist is attempting to pull a gated community together for common survival. Uncanny that the author nailed the problems associated doing something like that, and he reasoned the solutions out in a very prepper like fashion. The advice he was dispensing to his neighbors was the same advice as what you'd find posted in a forum...hummm...while I wouldn't get my prepping advice from a work of fiction. It does make one wonder where they get theirs...lol

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Tragedy always makes for good writing, story telling, book selling. We see Red Dawn, attacks on the white house, and even TV shows now that depict SHTF or something similar - two this past season plus the famed walking dead series.

If I were to write about an economic collapse it will have similar topics to what we post. I write those stories for my family for fun, but also so they'll think about "what could be.".

·
Registered
559 Posts
Either some fiction writers are very good researchers or are into prepping.

I just finished a book where the protagonist is attempting to pull a gated community together for common survival. Uncanny that the author nailed the problems associated doing something like that, and he reasoned the solutions out in a very prepper like fashion. The advice he was dispensing to his neighbors was the same advice as what you'd find posted in a forum...hummm...while I wouldn't get my prepping advice from a work of fiction. It does make one wonder where they get theirs...lol
and for reference, (and to add it to my bookshelf) what book are you referencing? :-D

·
8,988 Posts
Becoming mainstream... I've read hundreds of prepper fiction and nonfiction works. Lots of "common scenarios" in play. I expect reality to be other than fiction. Usually proves out that way. Sort of like how the hero good guy in the movies gets his face bashed in by forces that would break concrete, but he can still stand to give the girl a passionate kiss with lots of lip action after... Or how the same hero might discharge any number of rounds in car or indoor room yet hear whispers... Yup... Hollyweird!
Off the subject, but how many of you, besides me, keep ear plugs in the car, just in case you need to shoot from the car in a BO situation?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Off the subject, but how many of you, besides me, keep ear plugs in the car, just in case you need to shoot from the car in a BO situation?
Never thought of it, but it is an excellent idea! - Thanks!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
At my age and after the abuse my ears have endured over the years I don't need ear plugs - I'll just turn the hearing aids off. ;)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and for reference, (and to add it to my bookshelf) what book are you referencing? :-D
What? You want me to kiss and tell?...lol

Check out Amazon Ebooks under the heading of Dystopian/Survival fiction, or if you prefer Barnes and noble, I'm not sure what their heading is. With Amazon I usually click on the released withn the last 90 days option. If you don't have a reader they have a PC app you can download. All I'm saying is that, If you start reading this type of fiction don't be supprised if some of it starts to look kind of familiar. Almost like they dredged threads to get their information. Maybe it's just me....lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts