Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my more humorous but valid musings was why I wasn't keeping ducks at the pond from my videos as a livestock option. I myself absolutely love duck and get excited whenever I eat it. I saw the other day that a local farmer is selling them now at the auction near the veterans' legion for six bucks a pop, chicks for 3 each. I asked him about raising them and he was all into ducks instead of chickens. Ducks are less temperamental acting and less flighty usually than chickens, MUCH slower, less hazardous to each other and they tend to be much quieter too. If you don't have the coop built they can be kept in a fenced off area with some water to swim in like my pond out back. They tend to be more like pets and will even follow you around like dogs I am told. They produce eggs like chickens, which the farmer tells me are just like chicken eggs. Duck is a little different to cook than chicken but not much. It's very high in fat content, almost to the point of being like pork, but has different meat areas on it and is all dark meat. I would imagine a good flock of ducks would be similar to a coop full of chickens but easier to keep given a fenced off area with regular wing clippings. Perhaps even a pond like mine considering most of the domestic ducks I have seen will live at that that pond till they die. My geese did that.

Here's what I did with the one I bought yesterday, they take a bit of getting used to a different preparation but it cooks mostly like a chicken. It is very rich so it pairs well with sweet and dark flavors like wine or jelly based sauces.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yummy! ducks and ponds. i want a pond. even one with a snapping turtle would be fine :) what did you season & side that with?

·
Registered
100 Posts
ducks cook very similar to chickens, just that I find duck to have more dark meat on it and is a little greasier than chicken.

·
Registered
24,295 Posts
My prepper bud brought me a duck egg. Very rich.
He said the things are very much like a pet dog, they'll follow him all around the farm and even try to get up on the tractor with him.
He also has chickens, and they don't give him any of the trouble that farmer has.

On a side note, the eggs from my friend's birds are a lot more filling than the ones I buy at the store. Odd. Could it be their diet is better and that they are outside having a good time all the time makes the egg better?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would like to put my bird recipe in that I did this year.

Cornish X chick and my Great Dane who thought he was the daddy.
2012-03-07_19-46-26_7.jpg
Cornish X chick at 7 weeks- Hanging weight at 8 weeks 10lbs 14oz
2012-04-24_20-27-27_762.jpg
Dressed out fresh bird
2012-03-30_13-22-19_42.jpg
Deboned carcass of the full bird
2012-03-30_13-50-34_297.jpg
Deboned carcass stuffed with: uncured bacon, spinach, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper
2012-03-30_14-06-45_209.jpg

Continued on next post:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Carcass that had been tied and cooked
2012-03-30_18-23-05_43.jpg
Cut in medallions and served with fresh grilled corn, green beans, home made bread and butter and some good wine.
2012-03-30_18-25-53_761.jpg

It was the best chicken I have ever had. Everyone that ate it had me premake a deboned carcass for them to take home.

This was my inspiration:

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yummy! ducks and ponds. i want a pond. even one with a snapping turtle would be fine :) what did you season & side that with?
Ok. Buy a fresh duck, as frozen ones tend to be a little dry. After washing and removing the giblets, treat it as a small turkey in cooking. Rub the cavity with coarse pepper and salt. Stuff with spring onion or meadow garlic (onion grass), lemon and season the skin with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme. Roast on a vented baking pan breast up at 20 mins per pound on 400-420. Before putting it in, cut the breast skin in a cross-hatch pattern as shown in the video to allow fat rendering.

-sauce

4 cups real orange juice
1/2 cup duck fat renderings
2 tsp cloves
pinch salt/pepper
1 tbsp arrowroot
pinch allspice

**allow sauce to reduce to 1/2 volume at med-high heat**

Cleave and carve the duck onto a plate, top with thickened sauce serve hot.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are duck eggs like? Do you like them better than chicken eggs?
Duck eggs have a slightly richer flavor and are way more filling. Duck egg over easy on a ribeye steak? Amazing treat.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carcass that had been tied and cooked
View attachment 355
Cut in medallions and served with fresh grilled corn, green beans, home made bread and butter and some good wine.
View attachment 356

It was the best chicken I have ever had. Everyone that ate it had me premake a deboned carcass for them to take home.

This was my inspiration:
'Effin artwork. No other way to say it. That is what we used to call Finesse. Classic French culinary if ever I did see it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
'Effin artwork. No other way to say it. That is what we used to call Finesse. Classic French culinary if ever I did see it.
He said you should be able to do this in about a minute. :-D I have done 12, and 8 minutes is about the best I can do. My homegrown chicken is a bit more tougher when raw than this chicken that has been dead for who knows how long. None the less, it is artwork at its best.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like how he made the little lollipops from the wings I have to try that

·
Registered
264 Posts
Duck eggs are larger and a bit stronger than a chicken egg. The yolk is also darker. My neighbor raise ducks and I use duck eggs in cakes all the time....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Duck eggs have a slightly richer flavor and are way more filling. Duck egg over easy on a ribeye steak? Amazing treat.
There is also quite a bit of noise concerning raw duck eggs curing cancer. Needless to say, we are getting ducks next spring. Not for meat so much, but the eggs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've wanted to have ducks so bad! Especially, like you said, how they tend to act more like a pet. Haven't heard that their eggs are more filling, good to know! Maybe my dad will let me get some :p if not, I'll have to see if my boyfriend will let me put some in with his chickens haha

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What are duck eggs like? Do you like them better than chicken eggs?
Larger, richer, yummy and things you bake with them are better too :)
There's no going back to chicken eggs for us :)

and once or twice a week our girls will give us one of these...

plus... they're just fun critters :)

Reactions: RaigenB
1 - 20 of 37 Posts