Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day, while teaching a survival/E&E class to aviators, we focused on the dual purpose nature of items in the survival vests, ie. a wire saw could be used to cut fire wood or as an improvised garrotte.

What other common prepper supplies or items have more than one use?

This would be a big help for everyone, as some things are immediately obvious, while some are not.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I carry several of those dopey silver plastic survival blankets in my get home bag in my truck. They can be used to make a tent obviously, but I have also tested one and found that you can fold it and seal the sides using a hot tire iron - kind of like an improvised food saver. It takes a bit of care, but you can make a watertight bag to be able to carry water in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
woman's stockings, didn't think of them did you :p

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All great items, especially the women's stockings...

But can you please expound on the alternative uses?

Some of us are kinda dense...at least my daddy said I was.

Thanks, great input!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
lol it's another item.with many uses from first aid, blister prevention (u work it out) warmth, fan belt, cordage, the list goes on and on...large debris water filter, tea bags

Reactions: Just Sayin'

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You forgot the chocolate. I hear tell that with some silk stockings and a chocolate bar you can get pretty much anything you want. :)
lol Inor...with chocolate you can almost get a woman to agree with you.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love handkerchiefs for multiple potential uses. The possibilities are endless... improvised crude filter (would combine it with other stages), carrying foraged berries, etc, simple "bear bag" for small amounts of food....

Somewhere out there is a list of things a bandana can be used for... I bet there are at least 20 uses for it if not more.

I picked up a few for pennies (literally) on a trip to India last summer. I keep some in my main BOB, and also in my ever evolving "get home" gear that stays in the car.

I also like 5 gallon buckets if your home, BOV, or BOL allows them to be practical (depending on how you prep). They can be used for weatherproof storage, rain water collection, filtration, laundry, or crude tables, chairs, or latrines. I'm sure there are also other uses for them as well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Garbage bags. can be used for keeping things dry, make a rain coat, shelter, stuff full of leaves to make a pillow or insulation, ground cover you can even put your garbage in them.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Dual Purpose or even more is how I try to review anything we do with prepping.
Stored food is a plus no madder what. Who cares why the power is out having the knowledge and tools to deal with it what madders.
The hand tools we collected will always have a use. Fire arms are not use for surviving a shtf. They are a sport ,a hobby and maybe even an investment.
So called B.O.B. in the car is not just for it the SHTF. Works very well living in the cold area should the car break down in snow or stranded.
Dual Purpose goes far beyond just little things you carry in your pocket. Seeing others uses for your preps makes it easier to take the leap and spend the labor and cash it takes to do them.
S may never hit the fan to a point we must live like the caveman. IMO chances are it will be a natural disaster that will not effect the whole country.
It will come and go over time. I want value out of the preps we make so We always look at how we will use it until SHTF.

Reactions: retired guard

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
From Survival Cache
Uses for a bandana

1. Signal (also see signal mirror)
2. Neck Gaiter for cold weather
3. Tourniquet (But for Snake Bites use a Sawyer Extractor)
4. Pot Holder
5. Collecting Wild Edibles
6. Sun block for neck
7. Sling (first-aid – also see medical kits for you BOB)
8. Sling (as in David and Goliath)
9. Sling (for a staff )
10. Cordage (strips or as is)
11. Washcloth/Towel (Bathe out of a Collapsible Bucket)
12. Sweatband
13. Waist pack/pouch
14. Hobo Pack
15. Padding a hotspot
16. Cleaning Patches for Firearm
17. Bullet Patches for Muzzleloader
18. Gun Wipe Cloth (with oil)
19. Toilet Paper
20. Mark a Trail
21. Dish Rag
22. Napkin
23. Eye patch
24. Pre-water Filter (like Coffee Filters)
25. Clean Glasses and other lens
26. Ear Muffs
27. Bind a stone and toss a line over a limb
28. Dust Mask (in Urban Survival)
29. Wet and wear for Hot Weather
30. Sneezing

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
From Survival Cache
Uses for a bandana

1. Signal (also see signal mirror)
2. Neck Gaiter for cold weather
3. Tourniquet (But for Snake Bites use a Sawyer Extractor)
4. Pot Holder
5. Collecting Wild Edibles
6. Sun block for neck
7. Sling (first-aid - also see medical kits for you BOB)
8. Sling (as in David and Goliath)
9. Sling (for a staff )
10. Cordage (strips or as is)
11. Washcloth/Towel (Bathe out of a Collapsible Bucket)
12. Sweatband
13. Waist pack/pouch
14. Hobo Pack
15. Padding a hotspot
16. Cleaning Patches for Firearm
17. Bullet Patches for Muzzleloader
18. Gun Wipe Cloth (with oil)
19. Toilet Paper
20. Mark a Trail
21. Dish Rag
22. Napkin
23. Eye patch
24. Pre-water Filter (like Coffee Filters)
25. Clean Glasses and other lens
26. Ear Muffs
27. Bind a stone and toss a line over a limb
28. Dust Mask (in Urban Survival)
29. Wet and wear for Hot Weather
30. Sneezing
Not mention, it is an absolute requirement if you plan to rob trains. :D

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The cravat was the most flexible tools in the medial bag. They were grabbed up and used for more things than I can count. I was always amazed at how many ways soldiers could find to use them. While they were in medical kits I bet 90% of the use was non medical.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Back in the day, while teaching a survival/E&E class to aviators, we focused on the dual purpose nature of items in the survival vests, ie. a wire saw could be used to cut fire wood or as an improvised garrotte.

What other common prepper supplies or items have more than one use?

This would be a big help for everyone, as some things are immediately obvious, while some are not.
3 is one 2 is on and on is none.

I have a small SS pot that I have devised a cover and cooling coil for. Now it's a vessel to carry water, a pot to cook in and a distillation unit to desalinate and purify water. Every item I carry into the woods has at least 2 purposes.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My favorite; the triangular bandage. A piece of heavy cotton cloth that can be used for a head or body wrap, to tie a splint in place, a sling, a compress, head cover in hot or cold, towel, emergency shoes, support (ankle or knee), a tourniquet, a compression bandage, dust or particulate mask, baby diaper, etc.

I am surprised that so few people actually have a couple of these in their first aid bag. They are universally the best tool in the bag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.