Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading articles and some people are saying to store dryer lint in a ziploc bag, put it in your car console in case you need it to start a fire if your stranded. I'm wondering if you need to add anything to it to get it to spark? :?:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
No, you do not have to add anything to dryer lint to start a fire. It is very volatile when it comes to starting fires. A single spark from a flint/steel will create a blaze with it. The research that you have been reading is good. Keep a ziploc bag of it in your car, one in your bug out bag (3 day bag) in case you get caught in the rain without a match or lighter. Great idea! ;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
You can also use a knife and drag it across your jeans, i'll produce little "lint" like fuzzies that catch really well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great idea! You could roll it in a ball with petroleum jelly instead of cotton. Should burn for a long time.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If any of my brothers and sisters here run out of lint, call me immediately. My wife got a new washer and dryer and I swear I can rebuild the lamb that sacrificed his wool! At first I thought it was just good basic Wisconsin accoutrements. But this lint has the feel and smell of a deep Canadian port!

We're survivalists, we can even smuggle lint. It's cold in a secret tent location...

·
Registered
904 Posts
That’s a great idea. It got really heavy with the dryer strapped to my pack. It is so much easier to just put the lint in a ziplock:)

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
If your in a pinch, belly button lint works too.
If you have a blade or something with an edge you can scrape your jeans and that stuff works well.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
can somebody give me a real world scenario for when dryer lint might be needed to start a fire
Yup.

If you are in a situation where you need/have to start a fire and don't have a lighter, matches or any other form of instant flame, but you do have a ferro rod and a steel knife or flint and steel knife....the lint will take a spark quite well, giving you an actual flame to get the rest of the kindling going.

There are plenty of things that can be used in nature but if things are wet, it can be tough to get a spark to take. Some dryer lint with a little vaseline works well if kept dry.

I go a little overboard and probably have 4-5 different things that can be used for tinder; dryer lint being one of them.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
can somebody give me a real world scenario for when dryer lint might be needed to start a fire
We put dryer lint in paper egg cartons and add melted candle wax , good for starting a wood stove fire and campfires, we shop rummage sales for old candles. It's one way to recycle and it leaves no waste except a little ash......

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We put dryer lint in paper egg cartons and add melted candle wax , good for starting a wood stove fire and campfires, we shop rummage sales for old candles. It's one way to recycle and it leaves no waste except a little ash......
a jute string wick works with these as well...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts