Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got the Savage 110 in 338 Lapua and it roared the first time I was really jazzed. I bought it to make a single long shot I pray must never be made - a defensive shot that would eliminate a wood bridge used to get on to my property. That was my "sole" reason for buying the expensive rifle, adding a nice scope, getting a bipod, and going through 24 rounds of ammo to "get it down" and be certain I could make the shot when needed. That 24 rounds was over a $100 alone. I stocked up on "cheap" ammo when I found it and had nearly 80 live rounds and components for 200 more. I had no real intention of dropping the 338 Lapua until a few weeks back - a weekend before Thanksgiving a friend made the same shot after 3 tries with this 300 WM. I already had an old 300 WM in the closet, a decades old Interarms rifle built in the 1970s and just wasn't using it. I bought a $19.99 box of 20 rounds and on the 8th shot I hit my 5 gallon bucket target at 847 yards. (mind you no wind). This was with the same glass I had on the Savage. So why keep it?

I really was going to keep it and then my friend told me of someone "dying" to have a 338 Lapua and a deal was struck. I parted with the Savage, the ammo, and my reloading dies. I kept most of the components because they work for the 300 WM (same primers, same powder). And I ended up wtih enough to get an order in for a new Colt 901 - can't wait to get it - still in shipping.

Sometimes its best just to stick with whats in the closet.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
No secret the 300 WM will reach out so will a good 308.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The 338 LM is an awesome round but you are right in goin with the 300 win mag.. It doesn't have the same ballistics as the 338 but it can get to over 1500yds with devastating ballistics. That why most of the Special Operations snipers use the 300 win mag now. Good choice!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I wet dream fantasy about another / a new / a different / a larger rifle all the time. I need one like I need a whole in my head. I have made some guidelines to follow,
Availability
Popularity
Cost per round

This leads me to the 7mm mag. Around our area they are at all of the stores regularly, instead of 20 dollars for 308, 30-06 and .270 they are 29 dollars per box.

The 7mm mag is one of the list of 12 most common rounds in production so they should remain available.

This is my reasoning for selection, proceed with what ever trips your trigger.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I came to the same conclusion before the purchase of my Armalite AR-30 in 300 WIN. All it took was a quick look at the ballistics tables then price reloading supplies. Don't get caught in the hype on the 338 most people will never "need" that big of a rifle.

Main reason for not getting a 338 is all the different rifles I can load with the same 30 caliber bullets. My 308, 30/06 and the 300 Win all take the same bullets which makes it a lot easier to find and stock.

Best part is my choice of the AR-30 in 300 win is like shooting a 22LR, as far as recoil. Which makes for a very accurate rifle for me to shoot. Don't have to worry about recoil and flinch, just concentrate on the shot. Nearly blew the head off a deer at 202 yards this year, very nasty round. My new favorite "shack" gun, for watching fields.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I really do like the 338LM but it just seems like a no brainer to stick witht he 300 win mag. I always hear people say that the longest kill was with a 338 lm but in all honestly, how often are you going to do that? I am into long range shooting BIGTIME and I still don't have the need for a 338 really.. You can really reach out there with a 300wm 7mm mag/ultra mag,260,260AI,6.5 creedmore and so on. You also get a lot less recoil and cheaper rounds..Good choice!! Do you have a bull barrel on it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You did the right thing. .300 WM will do just about anything most people will ever need to do at a semi-affordable price tag. The .338 is great but at $5 a shot, it is not worth it. Your Colt 901 should be able to make that shot as well.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The 300 WM is my go-to, gotta make the one shot stop, long distance rifle for me. Awesome round. I love my 30-06, but the 300 is in another class.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.