Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if youve been stripped of filtration and other supplies
drinking from a creek. where do you find the best water? in the running part? after or befor the rapids? over to the left? a little to the right by rocks? after a tree, before a tree, whats the best part of a streem or creek to drink from?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Upstream from where the Boy scout troupe is washing their socks.

When I go hiking in the Red River George I look for where the water is coming out of the ground or flowing from the rocks. I usually don't take any water with me and use a steripen or Potable Aqua Iodine Tablets for back up. But even before I would drink water straight from the stream I would find an old tin can or coke can and heat the water in it. All you have to do is get it to the point where it starts to boil then set the can in the stream to cool it off and you are good to go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haha this is funny. When i was a kid growing up in crestline i drank from creeks all the time. I dont remember getting sick... I think the best rule of thumb is to drink from rough water. You can boil water in almost anything. Even a plastic bottle, just dont let the flame touch it directly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
boil or add a few drops of bleach to the water and you should be ok...I have a Katadyn Water Filter which is awesome!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Haha this is funny. When i was a kid growing up in crestline i drank from creeks all the time. I dont remember getting sick... I think the best rule of thumb is to drink from rough water. You can boil water in almost anything. Even a plastic bottle, just dont let the flame touch it directly.
You can go to a lot of countries around the world and drink the same water that everyone in the city uses and you will spend a week on the bowl until your system is used to it.

·
Registered
24,304 Posts
I gave the Alabama answer to that in the Beaver Fever thread. It is agricultural around here, and what isn't agricultural is wooded, and wooded means beaver and other critters. I see no reason to risk it when I can filter and boil.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just saying if theres no filters n shit to be had, i grew up hill country texad drank from rivers and creeks with no problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
When drinking from creeks, I suggest digging close to the bank as fresh "clean" water will seep through the soil and be free of most paginates, foul and other icky things to worry about lol. If youre worried about filtering it even further, you can use your shirt or some sort of screen to put over the mouth of your cup, bottle or what ever you have to put water in and it will filter out large grains of dirt, leaves or w/e. It may not taste the best, but its at least cleaner than what you have in the creek.
If you want to gather from the creek, use your bottle or cup and face the mouth of it in the direction the water is flowing, it does the same filter effect, minus the "foul" that could be in the water as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I drank from creeks here in WV aswell.. I think you have to make the choice on drinking by the water conditions that are present.. We all ways drank from the swiftest part of the creek. There were a couple of natural springs too that we gathered water from with no problems.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When drinking from creeks, I suggest digging close to the bank as fresh "clean" water will seep through the soil and be free of most paginates, foul and other icky things to worry about lol. If youre worried about filtering it even further, you can use your shirt or some sort of screen to put over the mouth of your cup, bottle or what ever you have to put water in and it will filter out large grains of dirt, leaves or w/e. It may not taste the best, but its at least cleaner than what you have in the creek.
If you want to gather from the creek, use your bottle or cup and face the mouth of it in the direction the water is flowing, it does the same filter effect, minus the "foul" that could be in the water as well.
Even fast running creeks and rivers......
if contaminants are in the water....they are in the water.

Find a sandy bank area and dig down until water seeps
into the hole and dip it out.....
filter it thru your shirt tail.

No guarantee that the water will be free of junk, but
the natural filtration from the sand will give you the best odds.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You have to consider that today we have indoor plumbing that treats our waste. After SHTF - it will be a luxury where it still exists. So, where does all of that untreated detritus go? Down hill. Whats at the bottom of a hill? A creek usually. Eventually the creeks will be full of the nastiest nasties of human population.

Cryptosporidium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is my biggest fear.

If I needed water and had no filter, boil, disinfect ability, I would look to collect rain water or get it from a plant before ever putting my lips on creek water. And pond water? Nay!

Look at the Salt River in Phoenix. Every summer the flow slows because its a freakin' desert and fed by snow melt waaay up stream. People like to tube the river and it seems like every other year we get some case of flesh eating bacteria out of the Salt River from a tuber that got a cut in the water. Too many people, too close, too little water and too many stagnate pools of festering disease. Expect this to be common after a large event.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Even fast running creeks and rivers......
if contaminants are in the water....they are in the water.

Find a sandy bank area and dig down until water seeps
into the hole and dip it out.....
filter it thru your shirt tail.

No guarantee that the water will be free of junk, but
the natural filtration from the sand will give you the best odds.
Great idea there, and I never thought of that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I always assume groundwater is contaminated if it hasn't been filtered or boiled. There's no way in hell I would drink it unless I was a day without fluid and had no hope of finding clean water in the near future. It's not worth risking illness in a SHTF scenario.

If you have access to a container, sand and have a way to build a fire to create charcoal then you can fashion a water filter

Practical Primitive | Skill of the Month: Improvised Charcoal Water Filter

·
Registered
365 Posts
I carry coffee filters in my bob for coarse filtering.
Just remember, don't drink from the eddys or standing pools

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
We just ordered some "life straws" they are a personal water purifying system. Ordered from Eartheasy.com. They are a 1 by 7 inch plastic straw with a filter in them that you drink through. Saw them on the Outdoor channel used by hunters to SAFELY drink out of streams while hunting. In the ad I watched they were drinking out of mud puddles, creeks etc. Haven't used them yet so I can't give them a review, yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
just saying if theres no filters n shit to be had, i grew up hill country texad drank from rivers and creeks with no problems
me too, just not there

You can go to a lot of countries around the world and drink the same water that everyone in the city uses and you will spend a week on the bowl until your system is used to it.
or even across the country!

I would rather drink from a creek than the city water here by Mexico.
just saying

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would much rather drink from a stream than the L.A. city water. If you are a few miles from a populated area and at least a couple miles down stream from a beaver dam I would have no problem drinking raw water....as long as it is flowing....there is one rule however being from Hill country you probably already know it...never ever drink from a stream and then walk up stream.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive been drinking from creeks all the time when ive been hiking.. only had a problem once and then i had to stay in bed with a skyhigh fever for two weeks.. but later i found out that there was a bunch of cabins that emptied their garbage in there..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts