Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
This graphic shows how a single persons food stockpile (and his survival time) will be dramatically halved if he shares it with one other person.
And it'd last just a few days if he had 3 or 4 more people to feed.
Going it alone as a 'Lone Prepper' might therefore be a good strategy so that we don't have to share it with anybody else?

PS- In my cycling days we did a 100-mile ride on a cold winters day, and needless to say I carried a small rucksack stuffed with nutritious food and drink, and had extra energy drink bottles clipped to my frame.
To my disgust, fellow members kept begging me for some of it as we pedalled along but I refused pointblank, telling them diplomatically- "Sorry, I've only got enough for myself".
They didn't like it but I didn't care, it served them right for not prepping, and they were just plain cheeky trying to leech off me!
About 12 of us started, but only a few of us (including me) finished the full 100 miles in about 7 hours and won the much-prized 'Finishers Certificate'; the beggars were dropping out like flies all round the course..;)

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (Bible,1 Corinthians 9:24)

· Registered
640 Posts
Those moral issues Lucky Jim keeps giving are some of the hardest to deal with. If any of you watched season 1 of The Colony... it was an issue there as well... and they KNEW it was just a show. I think all of us are decent people and would say... take in the little girl... give food to the Nam vet... RIGHT NOW... while we sit in comfort in front of our computers. But what about 3-4 months of living hard and struggling day by day? What if your little girl or granddaughter is already on reduced rations? Will you still take in another mouth to feed? And.. as preppermama suggested... how do you know she isn't bait? A large well-stocked group might surround the place and clear it room by room... and either find dead parents and help the little girl or take out the guys ready to ambush you (but then what do you do with the girl?). A smaller less-prepared group runs not only the risk of reduced rations, the the risk of losing a group member... or worse, getting a wounded group member that you can't treat but can't leave behind. Plus... you risk losing precious ammo. It's a real moral dilemma that we can theorize about all day long... but your physical reality, at the time it happens, is what matters. You may feel bad passing right by her... but if it saves your little girl... you will need to decide if that is enough to keep your soul intact and allow you to sleep at night?

Let's be real... in a SHTF situation, a large number of people are going to suffer... men, women, children, grandparents, even cute little kittens... but you can't save them all... and sometimes... you can't save any. It's actually going on in your world right now. We see homeless, the mentally disturbed, and suffering children around all the time. When you have the spare cash, some of you give. Others can't afford it because of their current financial situation. I just retired from the USAF and went 4 months without a job. Each week that passed... I was less willing to give to those in need. By month four... I drove right past them. I couldn't mentally get past the fact that the 10 or 20 dollars I had in my wallet was the next meal for my family, not the homeless guy/gal/child/etc. A SHTF situation will be much worse... because then, I won't be able to take my 20 and get some cheap meals at walmart. I'll be stuck with whatever food I have left or can scavenge. Now... upgrade that to a TEOTWAWKI situation and I can guarantee each of you will be group focused... or maybe even "every man for himself" focused. Starving kids and Vets will be the last thing on you mind.

There... I hope I gave everyone something to think about.

Reactions: Rocky and shotlady

· Registered
2,074 Posts
This episode of The Twilight Zone called The Shelter explores human behaviour in a crisis, it begins with a bunch of neighbours whooping it up at a birthday party, but then a nuclear war alert comes on the radio urging people to "get into your shelters!".
But only one of the families has a shelter and there's not room for everybody...

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Jim, I watched that "shelter" a long time ago and it really brought light to my situation. I wish they would play this at the beginning of NatGeo shows.

As in the "shelter", everyone is your friend now, but given the situation, look what happens.

· Registered
243 Posts
I watched some of the episodes from season 1, and came to the conclusion that NG was more interested in ratings than producing an educational and informative show! The people they have are either wackos or are being made out to be wackos. And let's face it, is anybody who is seriously concerned about survival and being prepared just preparing for ONE "disaster"? On this show, one family is "preparing" for an oil crisis, another for an economic meltdown, another for a massive earthquake, another for a flu pandemic, etc., etc., etc. If you are interested in survival, you are preparing for multiple scenarios--not just one. At least I am!

There are a few tidbits of useful information in the show, but overall, I consider it a waste of time. And by the way, for those of you who aren't familiar with firearms and who saw the episode where the idiot shot his own thumb, it was a "malfunction" of the "operator", not the gun! You don't EVER put any part of your body in front of the muzzle! Guns don't just go "off" by themselves, just as axes don't cut down trees by themselves, nor do hammers drive nails "by themselves".:wink:

· Registered
2,074 Posts
[re Doomsday Preppers] The people they have are either wackos or are being made out to be wackos..
There are some youtube videos from the cast that actually tells that they were scripted to say or to do something. Tv at its best.
Ha ha yeah, if ever I ended up in a group of crackpots like that I'd kill myself..:)
TV-land is all stage-managed rigged fakery and is like Strawberry Fields where nothing is real!

"It would be soooo nice if something made sense for a change!"- Alice in Wonderland

· Registered
8,058 Posts
That show has me laughing, but-
Strawberry Fields is very ,very real . The lad from Liverpool was describing the marks left from his needle. He starts out, "Let me take you down cause I'm going to..."

He was asking if you wanted a "Bump", the product is a downer.

All the British Invasion of Music did was corrupt` our American youth. I listened to it for many years, I know. The artists were spoiled rich kids who went to high class Music Schools in your homeland

· Registered
2,074 Posts
..All the British Invasion of Music did was corrupt` our American youth. I listened to it for many years, I know. The artists were spoiled rich kids who went to high class Music Schools in your homeland
Elvis and his pelvis started the 'corruption' long before the Brits, he was banned from some radio stations in the USA.
Anyway I don't see it as corruption, I see the message of rock as being -"Hey kids you can be kool and hip, not like your stuffy old parents"..:)

· Registered
8 Posts
Well I'd like to think I'm not going to lose my humanity. Maybe it will get me killed. Maybe it will get my family killed. I don't know. I don't pretend to know how I'd actually react if I knew that anything I gave away, or anyone I took in could mean me or my children would die sooner. But honestly, I couldn't ever leave a child, ever. Period with a capital P. My faith tells me that the children and the weak and the 'least of these' are those who I am most convicted to help. I might die from my utopic view, but I won't die a monster. ;)

· Registered
2,074 Posts
I couldn't ever leave a child, ever. Period with a capital P. My faith tells me that the children and the weak and the 'least of these' are those who I am most convicted to help. I might die from my utopic view, but I won't die a monster. ;)
My thoughts exactly mate, if helping others means I'd die doing it, so be it.
When a catastrophe happens my first reaction will be "Okay, it's SHOWTIME !" and I'll go out looking to help those who need help..:)

· Registered
481 Posts
Excellent show, Jim! Thank you for sharing. TTZ was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

Part two of the show is very prophetic. Jerry and the other neighbors basically represent all the people who laugh at preppers now. This is why you NEVER let on to other people about the fact that you have a shelter or supplies. You immediately become their emergency bug out plan.

LOL. That bomb shelter door could've been opened with a fork by the looks of it.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.